Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

resource for learning new rhythms

analogman1

Hey Folks,

Could anyone suggest resources for learning more involved rhythms than the simple rock and pop things that we hear dominating the radio? In particular I'd like to get a better grasp on afro/cuban rhythms, as well as contemporary classical rhythms.

Does it necessitate studying drums? Or are there online resources or maybe books available?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should add that I'd really like to improve my drum programming skills. I'm not looking to become an actual drummer - I'd just like to be able to come up with some interesting rhythms and grooves to serve as an inspiration for tunes.

Tom

I have no idea how hard it is to navigate the Guitar Player archives, but Frank Zappa had a great column in the early '80s called "Non-Foods." He delved into lots of polyrhythm talk; my fave bit was his tip in counting odd meters: divide it down into groups of 2s and 3s. For example, when counting in 7/4 time, count it as 1-2, 1-2, 1-2-3 instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.

He had lots of other things to say on the matter, but that's a piece of advice that anyone can put to almost immediate use. believe me, it works. :)

One other bit of advice, this one directly from me: if you're really interested in afro-Cuban rhythms, take dancing lessons, too.

Lol, I can see where that would work pretty well. I remember back in the early 90's covering Subdivisions by Rush. On the 7/8 portions, I remember tapping my foot in 4 and alternating the accents on downbeat/upbeat. In fact, I think with the sequencer I was using at the time, it was easier to alternate 3/4 and 4/4 each measure than to do 7/8 and switch later to 4/4 and 6/4.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Then there are those I can't play if I count. We do Supertramp "Goodbye Stranger". After the last chorus, if I recall (since I don't actually count it) it does a measure of 3, several measures of 4, then another measure of 3 before going to the outtro with the guitar solo. It took us a while to nail the timing, and eventually, I think everybody ended up counting it different. I don't really count it at all except the second measure of 3. I know where it is, and I say 1 2 3 in my head as sort of a count-in to the outtro. Other than that, I don't count any of it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If you check the time signature notation used by Bela Bartok (for example, in the Mikrokosmos) he'd use something like 3+3+3/8 to represent 9/8 time, indicating that he wanted the groups of notes stressed 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3.

Tom

Thanks for all those links Marino. Very cool stuff. Particularly enjoyed the taals.

I saw a scandinavian folk duo a couple years ago at the folk fest here, can't remember their name. They were talking about odd-metre rhythms and how they were a part of folk music for them, so they didn't really have to think about it, but they had a way of teaching them which they found stuck pretty well:

7: Now-I-would-like-a-whis-key/Now-I-would-like-a-whis-key

9: Now-I-would-like-a-no-ther-whis-key/Now-I-would-like-a-no-ther-whis-key

10: Now-I-would-like-a-no-ther-whis-key-sour/Now-I-would-like-a-no-ther-whis-key-sour

11: Now-I-would-like-a-no-ther-dou-ble-whis-key/Now-I-would-like-a-no-ther-dou-ble-whis-key

And so on and so forth. :D

Archived