Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need sound module/tone generator for digital piano.

Denv12

I own a Roland RD700sx stage piano and I want to add a sound module to it to get extra piano sounds and electric piano sounds at least.There are a few options:

This is a current model:

1)Roland Mobile Studio Canvas SD-50.

These are discontinued:

1)Roland XV2020.

2)Roland JV 1010.

I dont know about the various edirol,Boss, and other brand version.My budget is limited so its around $500 (Australian).

What would you recommend?

My current equipment is:

Roland Rd700sx stage piano.

Tascam DP03 8 track digital recorder.

Roland KC350 keyboard amp.

Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I there there is some uncertainty here about what you're looking for. You mentioned wanting "extra" piano sounds, and many of the responses seem to have assumed you wanted better piano sounds. So maybe you can clarify, are you happy with the sounds in your 300SX and are just looking for some additional, different sounds? Or are you dissatisfied with the quality of the piano sounds you currently have?

The suggestions that you replace the KC350 make sense if the problem is the latter, and if you find that you actually do like the sounds a lot more if you listen to them in headphones.

If that's not the problem, I agree with everyone that no Roland module is likely to give you significantly different (or better) piano sounds, except maybe the Integra-7 which is out of your price range. The Musebox, or a laptop or tablet based solution would be things to look at that could be in your price range.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

To update my request:

The idea is I want extra piano sounds to add.I'm not happy with all the pianos and electric sounds on the Roland.I really want to add a fender rhodes sound and others to it.So,I need a sound module that offers a variety.

As for the amplifier I wont be changing it.Its ideal for me.

To update my request:

The idea is I want extra piano sounds to add.I'm not happy with all the pianos and electric sounds on the Roland.I really want to add a fender rhodes sound and others to it.So,I need a sound module that offers a variety.

Most people are not happy with all the "pianos and electric sounds" on any particular keyboard. Everyone has their favorites. Sound modules are becoming a thing of the past, not much on the market anymore. Since you already have a computer you really might want to consider using it to add sounds to your arsenal. Another advantage of this is that you are able to try demo's of different manufacturers products to hear what you may or may not like. After all this is said and done, you will never get the sound you are looking for out of a Roland KC 350. Trade it for a set of powered studio monitors and you will hear a huge improvement over what you have already. I am certain your keyboard sounds better in stereo than mono.

:nopity:

After you put the fire out.. You might consider a kurzweil micro ensemble module. Hard to find it but the piano is different and the electric pianos are decent.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

I would recommend you set fire to the KC350 and spend your budget on better amplification.

lol...

If youre looking for different piano/rhodes, Yamaha still makes modules, as I would ask, why would you want another Roland? U already have the best Roland piano's in your box now. The Yam Motif something rack would give u a whole new soundset w/the Yam piano's.

The above mentioned are all good ideas, Musebox, Kurzweil Micropiano is another. Those pop up on ebay from time to time and def in your budget.

Compared to most folks here, I'm practically a fan of the KC keyboard amps. That is, I've played through them and had fun doing it, and I wouldn't rather play my keyboard through a chainsaw. (wink -- inside joke, bungled)

But really, until you've heard your RD through a decent small PA, you don't know what it's supposed to sound like. The KC series are useful monitors and backline workhorses, have a great set of mixer features, and they do a job, they serve a purpose. But they are colored and inaccurate, and their weaknesses are most obvious when playing acoustic pianos.

Regardless, it's reasonable to want more options regardless of your amplification. As mentioned above, for home use, the best bet is really your computer. It takes a bit of fussing with to get set up the first time, but once you have it working well for any software instrument, adding more is quite easy, and there are a number of very inexpensive options, especially when compared to hardware prices.

Let us know if you're interested in trying the computer. If so, tell us about your computer setup (Mac or Windows, desktop or laptop, does it have line output, is it antique or reasonable current, etc.), and your budget (e.g., are you willing to spend a bit over $100 for an aftermarket soundcard?)

The Yam Motif something rack would give u a whole new soundset w/the Yam piano's.

Or a Yamaha MX49, which I would take over the oldest Motif racks and is cheaper than the newer ones. Not nearly as small as a module, but still pretty compact. (And actually lighter than the rack modules!)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you already have the computer that will run it you could run a vst host like cantabile and pick up some less expensive software like Mr Ray, Galaxy II pianos, Galaxy Vintage D and have some killer options. But if you have to buy all the hardware the Musebox may become more appealing.

For home amplification I use a pair of headphone into my computer interface and I can blend in my instruments, CD, mp3 etc..... And it sounds great. For home use a pair of Sony or Sennheiser headphones works well for me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

To update my request:

OP, sorry if you have already done this; I didn't see any response about this above.

A lot of people are suggesting the APs may be colored by your amp. When you listen to your RD through decent headphones, are you still unhappy? If you find it sounds better through headphones, then you may seriously consider putting the money you had earmarked for a new module towards a powered speaker.

If you are still unsatisfied even through headphones, I agree looking for another company altogether. With a little patience, some small old modules come up for sale on ebay periodically, for example the old Alesis nanopiano.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I'd recommend the Yamaha MX49, which runs about $500. If you want a longer keyboard, the MX61 is only $700, which might justify one more notch of saving. Korg doesn't currently offer anything of this particular type at this price point and you already have a bit of Roland-itis. Since you are not a candidate for a fancier synth or a DAW-based system with plug-ins, the MX hits a good spot. You'll get those desired piano voices, the means to really customize them with just a little work and using the RD to trigger the MX could easily breathe more life into them. You will also have the option of growing musically via the use of non-piano sounds. You might be surprised at what a touch of woodwinds or strings can do for you. Just think of what it takes to play the real thing so you don't phrase like a wanker. :P

Mainly, the MX is a quality fix for your stated goal of more and better pianos. I know Roland's general tone pretty well. IMO, it has a certain roundness to it, where Yamaha's is more inherently sharp. Give it a serious look. I get the feeling that some useful balance is waiting for you there.

Well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
    ~ from Twitter

With a little patience, some small old modules come up for sale on ebay periodically....

+1

I gigged with a GEM-RPX module for years. Still dig it. Better for APs than EPs, IMO.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived