Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Every Country Music Song in 2013 Was The Same?

KeyPlaya

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The new country is the new Top 40. And the music talks about what "the kids" like....just as it was in the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. Nothing has changed. Back in the 60s it was Chevy 409s, GTOs, etc. Late 60s and 70s it was drugs, wars, social change, etc. The more it changes the more it stays the same.

The new country is the new Top 40. And the music talks about what "the kids" like....just as it was in the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. Nothing has changed. Back in the 60s it was Chevy 409s, GTOs, etc. Late 60s and 70s it was drugs, wars, social change, etc. The more it changes the more it stays the same.

Yeah, I get that; the lyric subjects are somewhat a given. But when the production all sounds the same, the originality gets washed-out. And speaking of originality: while there are still some bright spots - writing-wise - in country, I have noticed the craft slipping over the past decade; and even more so over the past year and a half. There's stuff on the country charts right now, getting heavy airplay, that would make my dog run under a chair.

Tom Petty's observation about modern country being badly written, 70's pop isn't too far off, unfortunately..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

In a related story that aired on NPR tonight:

Klonk

Basically, the theme was that there was lots of good country music put out by women (with wider subject matter than the video above) that gets ignored. I'm not an expert on country music (my limited "country" collection leans towards Robbie Fulks, Steve Earle, etc), but what I heard sounded much better than what was in the video. Like any other category, I'm sure there is good stuff out there...it's a matter of whether the good intersects with the popular (sometimes it does but most of the time it does not.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Thanks for rubbing it in :cry:

The quality of songs in so called "Modern Country" has been nose diving like a Buddy Holly plane for a while now.

There are of course always exceptions, including some of the women cited in that article, but like it says in the article, those records are not selling or getting much airplay, and the exceptions seem to get fewer and farther between.

I don't blame all of the songwriters or artists. I don't even blame the record companies. The gatekeeper in Country is still radio and radio is completely Corporate Monopoly controlled and unwilling to chance pushing any envelopes.

The artists and writers I know mostly feel strangled by this. If they write or sing anything even slightly outside the box, they jeopardize any chance of having a career.

Sigh. This vid reinforces what I thought I was hearing on the country station in LA. It would cross my mind that it was all the same but I never really thought it through all I would do is switch stations. Now one of those stations that was decent is 94.7 the Wave. For the last 15 years their tag line was "LA's Smooth Jazz". I don't listen to it all the time just when I'm in the car but recently their tag has changed to Smooth R & B. If you think country sounds the same try modern R & B. Two chords over a groove with a chick singer. Over and over and over...

Then the next song comes up, two chords over a grove with a chick singer. Over and over and over...

During a 40 minute drive I forced myself to listen to it the whole trip and after about 20 minutes or so I heard a guy singer, two chords over a groove, over and over and over...

The thing that really kills me about this stuff is there's no real music in any of it. No keys or guitar or horns playing an intro lick, no instrumental hooks and certainly no solo sections or instrumental breaks. No live drums either, just slick over produced sequenced rhythm grooves with the vocal on top.

The Wave used to have The Rippingtons, David Benoit, Dave Koz, Spyro Gyra, lots of good stuff. I do hear one of those tunes once in a while but it's basically so called modern smooth R & B now and it really sucks.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

In a related story that aired on NPR tonight:

Klonk

Basically, the theme was that there was lots of good country music put out by women (with wider subject matter than the video above) that gets ignored. I'm not an expert on country music (my limited "country" collection leans towards Robbie Fulks, Steve Earle, etc), but what I heard sounded much better than what was in the video. Like any other category, I'm sure there is good stuff out there...it's a matter of whether the good intersects with the popular (sometimes it does but most of the time it does not.)

I heard this story too. Inspiring music. If we want to see the situation improve, all we have to do is buy the CD's. If enough people did that, CD sales would push these artists onto the radio.

Ashley Monroe,

Kellie Pickler,

the Pistol Annies

the Court Yard Hounds (the group that's two-thirds of the Dixie Chicks.)

Brandy Clark

Kacey Musgrove

LeAnn Rimes - Spitfire

Carrie Ann Hearst - Shovels and Rope

Ashley Monroe

Kristen Kelly

Hillie Bills

My biggest problem with country for a long time now has been the harmony. It all sounds to me like it comes out of the same studio using a harmonizer with a "country" patch.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I wrote a country song a while back. Never recorded it, simply because, while I can fake that accent speaking, faking it singing is another matter entirely. The subject matter probably would have been a bit too complex for most country fans, though the message was simple enough.

I noticed that one song from one performer seemed to be used in all the segments, while another act (at least) made all the segments with different songs. :facepalm:

I've also noticed a lot of country songs that are about "what country is." :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, it's all about the "wooooooo!" Like "Red Solo Cup." That'll be a classic.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The video highlights what has always been my #1 issue with country music: Lyrically, country music seems to exist in a metaphor-free world.

Seriously, consider all of the rock songs that have caused you to say or think, "I wonder what that song is about." That's because there's at least occasional subtlety in rock lyrics (80s hair metal notwithstanding). Shit, when I was 17, I once spent a good portion of a summer deconstructing the lyrics of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Has anyone, ever, however, had to ask that question about a country song? Seems like the answer is no, because the lyrics are always so literal -- trucks, chicks, beer, jeans, etc. There's just not much need for imagination or interpretation. To me, the genre loses some appeal for that reason alone.

Noah

Well here's two that were anyway, and they were both big hits too:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmaCodtqmNk

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQQu6Kp90o

Both grid out at a perfect 110bpm with robotic precision from start to finish. You can run them together and they become one seamless song.

The Nashville machine is just trying to survive by giving the audience what they think they want. If you think its bad now, In a couple of years there will be a bieberization of the genre.

You will be wishing to have taylor swift back.

Afaik most if not all of this crap comes from LA NYc etc Nashville is a rock town now

The Nashville machine is just trying to survive by giving the audience what they think they want. If you think its bad now, In a couple of years there will be a bieberization of the genre.

You will be wishing to have taylor swift back.

Afaik most if not all of this crap comes from LA NYc etc Nashville is a rock town now

Nashville is turning out some good Americana too but I can't find it on the radio.

And it's not just country that does this. A lot of rap seems to have a "formula" too. I find it in rock also, although there does seem to be more diversity in the rock genre. But I remember when Nickelback was hot (gag) and all you heard on rock stations was Nickelback and bands that sounded like Nickelback.

I've listened to more country this year than ever before. Everything from Scotty McCreery to Zac Brown Band. Like every other genre, there is variety to be found if you can get past the formulistic music the corporation is pushing.

I think it is the ACM Awards show that got me to really listen to country music. They actually have real musicians playing, and they are plugged in! After seeing Zac Brown Band perform on the show this year I immediately bought their live CD. Any country band with a Hammond on stage and a guy that can play it deserves a listen.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Sigh. This vid reinforces what I thought I was hearing on the country station in LA. It would cross my mind that it was all the same but I never really thought it through all I would do is switch stations. Now one of those stations that was decent is 94.7 the Wave. For the last 15 years their tag line was "LA's Smooth Jazz". I don't listen to it all the time just when I'm in the car but recently their tag has changed to Smooth R & B. If you think country sounds the same try modern R & B. Two chords over a groove with a chick singer. Over and over and over...

Then the next song comes up, two chords over a grove with a chick singer. Over and over and over...

During a 40 minute drive I forced myself to listen to it the whole trip and after about 20 minutes or so I heard a guy singer, two chords over a groove, over and over and over...

The thing that really kills me about this stuff is there's no real music in any of it. No keys or guitar or horns playing an intro lick, no instrumental hooks and certainly no solo sections or instrumental breaks. No live drums either, just slick over produced sequenced rhythm grooves with the vocal on top.

The Wave used to have The Rippingtons, David Benoit, Dave Koz, Spyro Gyra, lots of good stuff. I do hear one of those tunes once in a while but it's basically so called modern smooth R & B now and it really sucks.

Bob

Do yourself a favor and get you some satellite radio. 40 minutes of LA terrestrial radio? Not a workable plan.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Do yourself a favor and get you some satellite radio. ...

NOOOooooooo! Don't do it. They are EVIL! Once you sign up and give them your billing information they never want to let you go! The devil must own that company because they think they own your soul.

In reality, their customer service is rewarded if they can talk you into extending your subscription and penalized if they cannot talk you out of canceling. One customer service agent even hung up on me rather than cancel my subscription. I have friends who had to call their credit card company to get charges stopped because they could not get XM customer service to cancel.

And now back to the real topic. Sorry for the derail. ...

The video highlights what has always been my #1 issue with country music: Lyrically, country music seems to exist in a metaphor-free world.

Seriously, consider all of the rock songs that have caused you to say or think, "I wonder what that song is about." That's because there's at least occasional subtlety in rock lyrics (80s hair metal notwithstanding). Shit, when I was 17, I once spent a good portion of a summer deconstructing the lyrics of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Has anyone, ever, however, had to ask that question about a country song? Seems like the answer is no, because the lyrics are always so literal -- trucks, chicks, beer, jeans, etc. There's just not much need for imagination or interpretation. To me, the genre loses some appeal for that reason alone.

Noah

I agree with you about the silly formulaic "beer & trucks" lyrics in today's corporate country music, but the lyrics in traditional country and bluegrass from several decades ago were far more subtle and complex (e.g. Hank Williams Sr., the Carter Family, Jimmy Rogers, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc.). In fact, this was one of the main reasons that Ray Charles started playing country in the 60's.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

None of these newCowboys have pedall steel

....Fail

Here is a young artist that tours with a pedal steel guitarist in his band. It is not up front in this song. It sits in the background and sets the mood.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vudfuztbv9o

None of these newCowboys have pedall steel

....Fail

Here's some ballsy greasy Honky Tonk steel guitar along with the Possum singing lyrics that summarize the problem with today's corporate country music:

After listening to this one, I almost feel like pounding down a couple of PBR's.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Do yourself a favor and get you some satellite radio. ...

NOOOooooooo! Don't do it. They are EVIL! Once you sign up and give them your billing information they never want to let you go! The devil must own that company because they think they own your soul.

In reality, their customer service is rewarded if they can talk you into extending your subscription and penalized if they cannot talk you out of canceling.

I remember AOL was the same way back in the 90's. :facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived