Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new axial cover band tones Vr 09

Kevmo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Roland VR09 owners.

Upon initial release it was promised that new sounds would be available for download from Roland's Axial site. Until the latest OS update of a few weeks ago, importing individual registrations was not even feasible.

Roland finally made good on the promise by posting a free downloadable set of organ and synth patches 'in the style of' famous songs (Green Onions, Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This, etc. )

There are no demos on the site about how it sounds. I think Kevmo was looking to try before replacing the stock registrations.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

For Roland VR09 owners.

Be carefully acording to Craig macdonald u still can't load individual registrations

Upon initial release it was promised that new sounds would be available for download from Roland's Axial site. Until the latest OS update of a few weeks ago, importing individual registrations was not even feasible.

Roland finally made good on the promise by posting a free downloadable set of organ and synth patches 'in the style of' famous songs (Green Onions, Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This, etc. )

There are no demos on the site about how it sounds. I think Kevmo was looking to try before replacing the stock registrations.

Kevmo, when did I say you CAN'T load individual registrations... you absolutely can do that.. There is a limitation that has to do with the deep synth parameters.. As I explore this, while playing with my VR-09 and the new Cover Band Collection, it seems that you can only have ONE synth data file..

IF you have done any deep synth editing, using the ipad editor, you have probably realized that you can only edit each of the synth sounds once.. if you create two different registrations using the same base synth tone, you will find that whatever synth parameters you change in one registration will affect the other registration that uses the same synth tone.. This is quite annoying and quite limiting..

This issue also rears it's ugly head when you try to load in these new cover band collection registrations... they come with a new VRSYN001.DAT file which overwrites all of the synth editing that you have done and stored in your VR-09!

Also, if you load in the Cover Band Collection sounds one registration at a time many of them won't work because they rely on the VRSYN001.DAT file that is provided with Cover Band Collection that contains the deep synth edits necessary for the registrations to sound correctly!!

The way the VR-09 seems to work, is if you save a registration it saves two files.. a registration file and a synth data file.. However if you save multiple registrations it saves them as sequential files.. 001/002/003 etc.. however it saves the synth data as VRSYN001.DAT every time.. it does not create multiple data files.. so if you store the Cover Band collection on the same USB stick as you store your own registration backup.. the Cover Band Collectio will overwrite your personal synth data (or vice versa).. so you'll when you load these registrations in, you will find yourself playing the Cover Band collection using YOUR synth edits.. OR you will find yourself playing your registrations using the Cover Band Collection synth edits.

Save your own registrations on one USB Stick and save your Cover Band Collection on a different USB Stick so this doesn't happen.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

IT's really not confusing IF you try the following..

Save 3 different registrations on to a USB stick and here is what you will see..

VR09_001.UPG

VR09_002.UPG

VR09_003.UPG

VRSYN001.DAT

So, while there are multiple UPG files (which correspond to the 3 registrations you saved) there is only ONE of these data files, which means that when you save multiple registrations on your USB stick the current synth data (a snapshot) is always written to the same file called VRSYN001.DAT. This means that the newest saved registration will overwrite the synth data of the previous registrations.

So if you want to save registrations with different deep synth edits you MUST save them on separate usb sticks.. and that goes for this Cover Band Collection.. save it on a separate USB stick from your own registration(s).

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

OK so hear is my review of the new Cover Band Collection for the VR-09 that I've just downloaded from the Roland Axial site.

First off I will say that they actually all sound quite authentic.. I compared each and every sound to the original song and I have to some props to Roland for the collection. It's pretty good.. Generally speaking some sounds need a bit of brightening up (for my liking) so I crank the tone control up on a number of the sounds..

The sounds are all pretty good, with the odd exception.. "House of the Rising Sun" is awful, but that's because the transistor organs in the VR-09 suck (they have no bite/balls). I'm a little disappointed because there are no splits/layers in the collection, and in some cases I was disappointed that Roland chose to emulate a pad sound rather than a more dominant sound in the song.. One example where I was disappointed would be the "Tom Sawyer" registration.. I was hoping for the intro synth sound with it's big sweeping filter but instead the sound was the rather wimpy synth sound from the middle of the song.

I also thought that they could have created some splits with multiple sounds (for songs with multiple keyboard parts), but that was not the case (I guess they're leaving that up to us). Even with the drawbar organ registration "Green Onions" I would have expected a keyboard split so the upper part could be controlled in real time separately from the lower/bass part.. but that was not the case. BTW, I think the original recording was an M3 using a single speed leslie, on stop, but this registration used a regular leslie and the Twin Rotary effect in chorale mode.. It sounds good but it's not quite correct.

Other sounds were a bit lacking as well such as the "Sweet Dreams" registration which left me wanting to layer some synth strings (like the OB Strings).. Same with the "billie Jean" registration which I wanted to add some strings or synth brass to add some body to the sound.

Some sounds were excellent.. for example I couldn't stop playing the "Take On Me" registration, it was bang on, as were a number of the synth sounds, such as "The final Countdown" and most of the other synth-pop sounds were very accurate!

So all in all, pretty good set of sounds.. some of them are great and very authentic sounding (about half the sounds) and there are a few that could stand a bit of tweaking (mostly to add a bit of body or brightness to make them cut better), and a couple that could/should be converted to splits or layers to better cover the original.

It strikes me that who ever designed the sounds did exactly that without thinking about how they would be played/used in a live situation.. Hence there were no splits, despite the fact that us keyboard players are often covering more that one sound at a time. Creating ONE sound from a synth-pop tune like "Relax" or "The Reflex" or a Howard Jones or Gary Numan song is like only leaving a job half done!

All in all, a very good collection, and it's free!! How can that not be great! Hopefully we'll see more registrations from Roland they'll start providing some registrations with useful splits and layers!!

Craig MacDonald

• 4 weeks later...
OK so hear is my review of the new Cover Band Collection for the VR-09 that I've just downloaded from the Roland Axial site.

First off I will say that they actually all sound quite authentic.. I compared each and every sound to the original song and I have to some props to Roland for the collection. It's pretty good.. Generally speaking some sounds need a bit of brightening up (for my liking) so I crank the tone control up on a number of the sounds..

The sounds are all pretty good, with the odd exception.. "House of the Rising Sun" is awful, but that's because the transistor organs in the VR-09 suck (they have no bite/balls). I'm a little disappointed because there are no splits/layers in the collection, and in some cases I was disappointed that Roland chose to emulate a pad sound rather than a more dominant sound in the song.. One example where I was disappointed would be the "Tom Sawyer" registration.. I was hoping for the intro synth sound with it's big sweeping filter but instead the sound was the rather wimpy synth sound from the middle of the song.

I also thought that they could have created some splits with multiple sounds (for songs with multiple keyboard parts), but that was not the case (I guess they're leaving that up to us). Even with the drawbar organ registration "Green Onions" I would have expected a keyboard split so the upper part could be controlled in real time separately from the lower/bass part.. but that was not the case. BTW, I think the original recording was an M3 using a single speed leslie, on stop, but this registration used a regular leslie and the Twin Rotary effect in chorale mode.. It sounds good but it's not quite correct.

Other sounds were a bit lacking as well such as the "Sweet Dreams" registration which left me wanting to layer some synth strings (like the OB Strings).. Same with the "billie Jean" registration which I wanted to add some strings or synth brass to add some body to the sound.

Some sounds were excellent.. for example I couldn't stop playing the "Take On Me" registration, it was bang on, as were a number of the synth sounds, such as "The final Countdown" and most of the other synth-pop sounds were very accurate!

So all in all, pretty good set of sounds.. some of them are great and very authentic sounding (about half the sounds) and there are a few that could stand a bit of tweaking (mostly to add a bit of body or brightness to make them cut better), and a couple that could/should be converted to splits or layers to better cover the original.

It strikes me that who ever designed the sounds did exactly that without thinking about how they would be played/used in a live situation.. Hence there were no splits, despite the fact that us keyboard players are often covering more that one sound at a time. Creating ONE sound from a synth-pop tune like "Relax" or "The Reflex" or a Howard Jones or Gary Numan song is like only leaving a job half done!

All in all, a very good collection, and it's free!! How can that not be great! Hopefully we'll see more registrations from Roland they'll start providing some registrations with useful splits and layers!!

Good review! Final countdown was tremendous fun haha. I have a question about the Green Onions sound, though, maybe you can help me. How did they get the high range to cut thru so well? Whenever I dial in an organ, I get a very empty, tinny tone from the top octave. I've messed with the tone and compression knob...am I missing something?

Also, Craig, just wanna say that your excellent reviews and demos were what convinced me to order this board. I'm transitioning from strictly acoustic piano to electric, and needed something that had a beast organ engine with drawbars, while also having the all-in-one sounds...basically an entry level gigging board. And it's perfect!

• 2 months later...
Is it possible to load these without overwriting my own settings in the keyboard yet? i.e. single-patch loading?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Killerddt, I don't think that there is a "demo" that demonstrates the new sounds.. (there may be but I am not aware that one exists)..

WesG, It's a bit weird so read my previous post about how the files are organized on the USB stick to understand the issue.. loading individual registrations does NOT load in the new synth data file.. you have to load the entire registration set into your VR to get all of the synth data needed for ALL of the new synth sounds.. AND the new registration set WILL overwrite your existing registrations (although I think it automatically loads them into the top half of the registration set which was an unused part of the factory set). Last but not least, you have to save your current registrations on a separate USB stick, keeping these new Axial registrations on a different USB stick (because otherwise the data file from one will overwrite the other if they're both saved on the same USB stick).

Craig MacDonald

Thanks, Craig.

That *is* screwy.

I'm thinking about adding my VR-09 to my stage rig because I'm having a hard time creating the synth sound for "I'm On Fire" with my ROMpler.

I don't really want to, though. I'm not sure WTH I'd put it. Good thing it's tiny and light.

WesG , thank you for your answer.

So ... " The Cover Band Collection " just combine the original

sounds on VR-09 and store it on the "Registration BANK" ?

so we can use these new registered sounds to play songs , right ?

Thank you for your answer ~!

Get several small capacity (512kb or 1gig) USB thumb drives. Back up your sounds to at least two of them; download the Axial to another. Find some geek with a label maker to keep them straight.

Craig discovered and diligently shared above that some of the Cover Band Collection sounds do alter some of the deep synth data and it will overwrite any of your own synth tweaks on those tones if you save it to the same thumb drive.

I've managed to loose a couple of my own sounds by inadvertently modifying synth tones that I had already used on other registrations...still gets my vote for The Quirkiest Board Of The Year Award.

WesG, put some guitar strap studs on your VR09 and wear it around your neck? :crazy:

+1 on Brenner13's advice!!

Yes as Brenner13 has said the VR is quirky.. not the least of which is the VR's inability to modify a single synth registration more than once to create multiple synth versions/registrations. Based on my experimentation, you can only modify the original sound ONCE and create one variation. All other attempts to modify that synth program will simply overwrite the first variation.

SO when you think of the VA synth in the VR you have to think of it as having a preset synth tones, each of which have only ONE space to store variations/modifications..

Weird/quirky? Absolutely, but like most things, there are ways to work around this problem.. for example there are over 50 synth tones/programs, so all you really have to do is to use a different synth program each time you want to create a new synth registration.

One last point about the VR's weirdness.. These synth program variations are stored in the Data file that is saved with the registration set to USB. However, unlike the registration data, which increments the name (by changing the file name to 001/002/003 etc..) the data file does not do this, which means that this data file (that contains all of the synth variation data for the registration set) simply overwrites whatever data file is on there. So you can have multiple registrations sets on a USB stick but only ONE Synth data file.. IF Roland were to simply increment the data file in the same manner that they do with the registration set, this would not be a problem.

Craig MacDonald

Brenner13 - tried that years and years ago with a DX-100. I felt like a total dork.

Man I wish I had more stage room. If I could put a keyboard behind me, I could reach back and play it with either hand. Then I could have my left hand on the 88 or organ, right hand on the VR-09, and actually face the audience for a change.

I just hate stacking stuff up too high. I think it looks bad. Oh, how, I hate trying to figure out the compromise between the visual and the musical. Oh well. First world problems, I guess.

And that's a good idea w.r.t. the USB keys. Luckilly, I am a dork and have my own label maker! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello:

I'm new here, found this thread trying to answer a question about the vr09 im considering buying.

I am looking for a keyboard that can do live looping (and this can of course) but that is also capable of playing styles, like my Yamaha DGX-230, a keyboard that generates accompaniment via chord recognition.

thats when I ran into this thread

Can these "styles" be used to generate live accompaniment through chord recognition? Is the VR09 capable of this?

My goal overall is to be able to loop these generated accompaniments so that I can play my horns, and.. have a lightweight versatile keyboard.

I dont want to layer all the accompaniment parts one at time as Ive seen in demos.

For the most part I use backing tracks i've created for my single act, but this would be a great way to do requests I dont have any tracks for, and still be able to play my horns.

Scuse me if theses are dense questions or I already missed answers.

I'm a horn player who had to learn keys to survive, so I aint that savvy :-)

Thanx much!!

equipment:

Cubase5, WindowsXP, Presonus Firepod

Kurzweil sp88, Yamaha DGX-230, Saxes, flute. Guitars, bass, etc.

Welcome to the forum. There is no auto-accompaniment in the VR09, only 100 drum styles and a basic 10-sec looper that can be overdubbed as much as one should want. No undo either.

In the similar price range, I might suggest a glance at Casio's PX360 for the kind if recording you speak of. I'm sure others may have better suggestions, too.

the PX360 does not have live looping capabilities, its about the same as my yamaha DGX-230. so far I have not found an auto accompaniment keyboard that does live looping (darn) thanx

equipment:

Cubase5, WindowsXP, Presonus Firepod

Kurzweil sp88, Yamaha DGX-230, Saxes, flute. Guitars, bass, etc.

Okay here's a really dumb question. Can someone link me to the type of usb stick that is compatible with the port on the VR-09? The ones I use with my MOXF8, and all the ones I see when look in Best Buy or search ebay for, say, any combination of USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick, etc. are the ones shaped like this one in the link - it's taller and more oblong, and doesn't fit into the port labeled "USB Computer" on the back of the VR09:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-32GB-Cruzer-GLIDE-USB-Flash-Pen-Drive-FREE-SHIPPING-SDCZ60-32-GB-32G-/401023543610?

hash=item5d5edda93a:g:TJQAAOSwpDdU6kMA

thanks (sheepishly)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Okay here's a really dumb question. Can someone link me to the type of usb stick that is compatible with the port on the VR-09? The ones I use with my MOXF8, and all the ones I see when look in Best Buy or search ebay for, say, any combination of USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick, etc. are the ones shaped like this one in the link - it's taller and more oblong, and doesn't fit into the port labeled "USB Computer" on the back of the VR09:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-32GB-Cruzer-GLIDE-USB-Flash-Pen-Drive-FREE-SHIPPING-SDCZ60-32-GB-32G-/401023543610?

hash=item5d5edda93a:g:TJQAAOSwpDdU6kMA

thanks (sheepishly)

You want to use the USB port that's under the little plastic hood on the left side/top of the unit (just above the volume knob). The one on the back is for connecting to a computer.

Hi Rich

That socket on the back is only for MIDI communication - the USB slot you want for memory is under a "door" on the upper left of the keyboard (looks like a miniature old-school cellar door you would see on teh side of an old house).

Lift that up creakily, brush away any cobwebs, and you should see the normal skinny horizontal slot into which you can stick your normal USB memory stick.

Archived