Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does it take to become a Steinway Artist?

Morizzle

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In answer to the OP's question:

1) You must use the entire piano.

2) You must look good in a tuxedo.

3) Practice your chromatic scales.

4) Practice your arpeggios.

5) Buy a big-ass gold ring.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

:freak:

One of the requirements of being a Steinway artist is that you have a Steinway at home, which means he's doing this to another Steinway regularly. Poor thing. :(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A bio and some more musical treats are available at Mr. Osborne's website:

CLONK HERE

On the first video on his site (under "Music"), he starts doing the same damned thing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Official Steinway Artists page

Note that Steinway has several categories, including Young Steinway Artist, Ensembles, and Immortals.

I don't think that the OP's example is causing Vladimir Ashkenazy to be concerned with being out-performed.

Have a heart for the guy, it must be exceedingly difficult to play anything quieter than f and still hold up that ring.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

In answer to the OP's question:

1) You must use the entire piano.

2) You must look good in a tuxedo.

3) Practice your chromatic scales.

4) Practice your arpeggios.

5) Buy a big-ass gold ring.

LOL

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

it seems chops are the main requirement... he's lots of youtubes and he fills every space with as many notes as possible, mostly arpeggios... doesn't he play Las Vegas?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

You guys are pretty harsh.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

You guys are pretty harsh.

Oh, we're just having fun. The guy has some chops and he's got a steady gig, but only the shallowest listeners would call what he's doing "musical."

Here in Southern Maine, there used to be a group called the "Hammond Organ Society" which was populated by blue-haired old mavens who had been talked into purchasing overpriced Concordes, Elegantes, Auroras, and other white elephants.

Their icon was a flamboyant player, Hammond-Sponsored, by the name of Joe Zinni, who was also the organist for the local AA Hockey Team. All of the Hammond Organ Society hens would just go all weak in the knees whenever Joe played. Hence the Hammond Organ Society was forever dubbed "Zinni's Ninnies."

Joe was another one who had chops, but used every damn button, toggle, stop, drawbar, knob, pedal, preset, auto-rhythm, cassette, tone-ribbon, lamp light, and key on the instrument. He used so much reverb and chorale that ice rinks would spontaneously form wherever he played and "All Skate!" was frequently heard (Edit: an allusion to the old time skating rink organists).

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Here in Southern Maine, there used to be a group called the "Hammond Organ Society" which was populated by blue-haired old mavens who had been talked into purchasing overpriced Concordes, Elegantes, Auroras, and other white elephants.

Their icon was a flamboyant player, Hammond-Sponsored, by the name of Joe Zinni, who was also the organist for the local AA Hockey Team. All of the Hammond Organ Society hens would just go all weak in the knees whenever Joe played. Hence the Hammond Organ Society was forever dubbed "Zinni's Ninnies."

Joe was another one who had chops, but used every damn button, toggle, stop, drawbar, knob, pedal, preset, auto-rhythm, cassette, tone-ribbon, lamp light, and key on the instrument. He used so much reverb and chorale that ice rinks would spontaneously form wherever he played and "All Skate!" was frequently heard (Edit: an allusion to the old time skating rink organists).

That made my afternoon. Thanks... :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

In the 50's Roger Williams' version was #1 on billboard for a few weeks. So this guy is late to the party. My issue is that after once through it's just so boring to continue listening (although for the sake of commenting, I did listen to the end.)

Maybe he's here on this blog using some alias. Anyone want to get something off their chest?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Archived