Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fake stage furniture cases

Kevmo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. If you aren't really carrying that big Hammond, then don't try to fake people out. What's next....leslie shells for powered PA speakers? Be proud of the the gear you've got and play the hell out of it. There are kids watching :)

+1. I admit I've never seen the point of this. When churches first started using Hammond organs did they install fake pipes?

But to each his own....

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Weren't we just talking about this in that other thread about a guy playing a motif61 as his whole rig?

My opinion, like it or not most audiences consider the visual element as part of the performance. Even if the player doesn't care and thinks it's silly. Yeah, you gotta play to the top of your abilities, and put in the hard work in private, but that's not the only thing they're gonna consider.

Me, I've considered a mobile piano shell for a while now, just can't choke down the cost on those things. Even if I as a player don't see the point...well, I'm just saying I'm only one opinion in that room...

When churches first started using Hammond organs did they install fake pipes?

I don't recall any from Hammond, but Conn definitely had some speaker cabinets that were built as false pipes. I've also serviced some other completely electronic church organs where the smps and speaker cabs were installed in tone rooms that were formerly full of pipes, and the visible pipes were left in place.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Just my opinion from an audience member's perspective I feel that the way gear is staged does make a difference no matter how good you are. You may not need to hide a simple keyboard slab in a box but consider facing profile to the audience or using a curtain. Looking at some guy slouching at a slab, legs spread with crotch to the audience is not flattering.

Jon Cleary

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMAvKt-s_Fs

Jon Carin pulls it off sitting higher but the minimalist context of The Wall segment helps.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KOfEGJ_pWbI/TM30hQFWFcI/AAAAAAAABu0/PfN69_eP7m8/s1600/JonPlays2.jpg

However when the stage lights came on after Gilmour's intro to SOYCD seeing his keyboard like this weakened the effect while Richard Wright is at an angle and behind substantial instruments. (and it isn't necessary to elevate Wright's status in the company of additional keyboardists).

http://mixonline.com/livesound/tours/D-GILMOUR-10.jpg

http://cdn.wmgecom.com/production/media/catalog/product/cache/472/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/i/liveingdansk_1_1.jpg

Again, it is just my opinion but consider setting up so you are profile to the audience if space permits or or use a curtain.

I don't recall any from Hammond, but Conn definitely had some speaker cabinets that were built as false pipes.

Interesting...thanks for the education.

Back to the issue of modern stage presentation. I understand the desire to "clean up" appearance from an aesthetic point of view. I see lots of pop bands on TV where there are shells around the keyboards to present a clean look....many times these are non-descript enclosures that aren't intended to look anything like a real keyboard.

Here is what I find odd: There is an increasing trend toward very light weight keyboards including clone -wheels. There is also general consensus that almost no one in a normal pop audience can tell the difference in sound between a real Hammond/Leslie and a good clone-wheel and leslie sim. Yet it is somehow so important to the audience that it looks like a real Hammond that we will enclose our light weight clonewheel in a much heavier enclosure.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Organ players with clones on metal stands look like dorks compared to organ players who look cool playing a console. Sorry , that's just what I see.

Exactly my thoughts.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I saw Daughtry on TV today and his keyboardist appeared to be playing a flat top Rhodes Suitcase Piano. When the camera panned to the side it revealed the Nord keyboard inside. In this instance it was a real cabinet used to hide a modern keyboard.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

We've gone a little OT from Kevmo's original question, but I agree that context matters. For a regular bar/club band, I think "slabs on a stand" is fine (as long as it's not an X-stand). ;) Even for some touring acts -- pop artists whose keyboardists who use two-tier rompler workstations, for example -- I think it works fine. But if, for example, I went and saw Springsteen with the E Street Band and saw the Professor sitting at a digital piano on a Z-stand, I'd be disappointed (regardless of the direction he was facing). I want to see that grand piano "form" on stage even though I know he's been playing digital for years.

Noah

I saw Daughtry on TV today and his keyboardist appeared to be playing a flat top Rhodes Suitcase Piano. When the camera panned to the side it revealed the Nord keyboard inside. In this instance it was a real cabinet used to hide a modern keyboard.

So I'm curious: Did the use of the Rhodes cabinet enhance the experience? Was it lessened when you saw the Nord inside? Did the keyboardist play non-Rhodes sounds? If so, was it distracting when the sound didn't match the retro facade?

If I'm watching someone play what appears to be a B3 console and all of a sudden there are, for example, clavinet sounds coming out of the speakers, I get distracted. I start to wonder what is inside the case, or whether he is even playing or not. So instead of focusing on the music, I'm preoccupied with something else.

www.stickmanor.com

Look cool? Certainly more important than honesty these days I suppose. The pernicious effect of videos and American Idol type shows and backing tracks. I guess it will be fun when some young player who has been to a concert sees a real Rhodes or B3 for the first time and asks the bemused owner where the extra voices are. Be fun to see his face. Just like when he heard the truth about Santa. Seriously, worried about crotch shots? Then stand the hell up and play. Geez, maybe you can have a fan built into your fake case too so it can blow your fake hair around so you look cool and maybe even get cool. Just like your guitar player. :)

Really about the only instance of using a fake shell is SOME examples of piano - dueling piano, a Billy Joel or Elton John concert, etc. Why? Because the piano is part of the experience but offers unique challenges to moving, tuning, and amplification. If having a real Hammond/Leslie is critical to a show, having the real thing (though still difficult) is much more manageable than bringing out a Grand Piano.

I think it's extremely rare in any kind of cover vans situation that any kind of shell would be justified, but that's just me.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I understand the desire to "clean up" appearance from an aesthetic point of view. I see lots of pop bands on TV where there are shells around the keyboards to present a clean look....many times these are non-descript enclosures that aren't intended to look anything like a real keyboard.

I agree - this is an application that makes sense. Also if you're going for something unique, like what Styx does with the shell on a 360 stand and the Styx logo on front.

http://rockshowcritique.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DSC_2637-e1311565665117.jpg

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Don't the crotch shots get the chicks all excited about the keyboard player? Isn't that why X stands were designed? Where can I find some fake hair to match my fake keyboards? I really could use some extra strands!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Many churches with pipe organs actually do have fake pipes which are there only for the visual effect. Just goes to show how looks can be important...

I wish I had disposable income. My church still has a real pipe organ. Our organist is awesome and spends his own money to keep it going. We have a contemporary service and I hate it. Not because I have anything against contemporary, but ours sucks and or organist is so talented. He started a campaign to raise $25k to refurb the pipe organ and got squat. He spent a bunch of his own money to keep it functional. If I had money, that's the first thing I would spend it on (well, second...after I paid off all my debt).

Dan

If looks weren't important in the music biz then why have light shows, fog, lasers, trouser cucumbers, dolly's giant sweater muffins. Do audiences go to hear brilliant musicians perform musical works of genius? Yeah small audiences. Or do they go SEE the big musical circus like KISS in the olden times or Gaga, Spears, TSO, Roger Waters ect.

FunMachine.

Archived