Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help Scarbee Vintage Keys (Wurly A200)

kwyn

Hi. I have Komplete. No matter what I do I cannot hit scarbee's highest velocity layer on the Wurly no matter how hard I pound my keyboard. I tried it with both my Sk2 and my old Privia 300.

I know it can get louder because if I just hit it with the mouse in Kontakt, I can totally get that loud tone. For some reason no keyboard seems to send enough to hit that loudest layer and I've pounded on the keys real hard just to try!!

Any suggestions. I don't think Scarbee has any adjustments for velocity curves and I've tried everything with the keyboards

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May I suggest getting Wurlie? It will blow your mind.

Appreciate the suggestion, and the demo does sound good, but I don't really want to pay $90, when Scarbee is supposed to be so great and then have to spring for an iLok too. Actually, even if the iLok was free, I don't want to use one.

But you're right. I thought the demos sounded really good.

Try this: in Kontakt, in the "Amplifier" section, click on "Mod" at the bottom left. One of the modulators should be velocity.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/43/7fz7.jpg

Then click the button I pointed to with the #1 arrow to open the scaling window below. #2 arrow points to the button to click to turn on the velocity curve. In the "Preset" menu drop-down, select "Factory-->Linear at 0%", then drag the right-most box to the top of the box. Create a new control point by control-clicking directly on the line where my #3 arrow points (Mac; not sure about Windows). What I did then was drag that new box up to the top too. As you can probably tell, this curve will let you hit the top velocity layer way before your actual keyboard velocity gets to 127. You may have to drag that new box back & forth horizontally to find the right spot that works for your playing. Also note that "edit all groups" should be selected in the group editor window. At least all the groups with key-down samples. Don't save this instrument over the existing instrument until you're sure it's good (or change the name before you save)! Good luck, hope this helps.

So it appears I cannot hit the keys hard enough on the SK2 to make it to the top velocity layer. Maybe it just sends up to 110 (guesstimate) rather than 127???

I'm guessing I need to configure the SK rather than Kontakt. Unless there's a way to get Kontakt to play the highest velocity layer at a lower number (110??) from the SK

I tried it with both my Sk2 and my old Privia 300.

So your Privia also has the velocity offset issue? That's a coincidence! Glad you got it working. :)

Good question. Put the Privia away without testing. So I truly can't say. I doubt it. Happy for now though. I'll troubleshoot the Privia another day :)

So your Privia also has the velocity offset issue? That's a coincidence! Glad you got it working. :)

+1. The coincidence seems a bit wierd...

To the OP - in general, there are several ways you can skin this cat. In software, velocity curves can be adjusted by many hosts, through 3rd party plugins, or at the level of the plugin itself.

I'm guessing I need to configure the SK rather than Kontakt.

It's generally more advisable to do this tweaking at the software level, rather than hardware - simply because you can achieve MUCH more finer control over the finger-to-sound connection.

But among all the ways in software, @Reezekeys' solution is by far the simplest, given that you're using Scarbee. Also, props to Reezekeys - as solutions go, it doesnt get more helpful and informative than that screenshot... :thu:

Unless there's a way to get Kontakt to play the highest velocity layer at a lower number (110??) from the SK

Umm... that's *exactly* what RK's solutions does! A velocity curve has velocity sent from the board on x-axis, and sent to the plugin on y-axis. If you notice the point (3) on the RK's screenshot, you'll see that 127 (max) will be sent to the plugin, even if much less is sent from the board.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Yes. RK's solution was very thoughtful and user friendly and maybe I need to show much more appreciation. It was soo clear!! Thank you RK!!!

Unfortunately, no matter, how much I messed with that curve, I could not send enough to hit that top velocity from the Hammond??? (The Privia, I put away, and haven't messed with it again)

While mouse clicking on the keyboard (software kbd in kontakt) definitely gave me the full strength top velocity samples.

I don't know why. Perhaps a 3rd variable? My cheap ass midi interface (basically some usb to midi adapter that came with cakewalk about 10 years ago???)

kwyn, I'm happy to help here, I don't need a medal... it's all good! I also enjoy a challenge when it comes to this kind of stuff. I take it that messing with the velocity curve did not work, but adjusting the velocity offset did? It may be because you didn't have "Edit All Groups" selected in the Group Editor pane. You were probably adjusting the velocity curve for a small subset of samples. Hard to tell without knowing how the Scarbee stuff is programmed. Anyway it's much better that you found that velocity offset parameter.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/22/9iwg.jpg

BTW, one of the factory velocity curve presets is called "Linear at 100%" which sets a curve that plays the top velocity layer no matter what velocity it receives from the keyboard. If you are sure that "Edit All Groups" is selected, then temporarily set the curve to "Linear at 100%" and are not hitting that top layer every time you play a key, then there is something wrong somewhere else in the chain.

Archived