Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help identifying an effects unit please

Doerfler

Adam MacDougall gets a sound I really like out of his clavinet. I have tried to find out what the effect is sitting on top of his D6 but have come up empty. I use a MF-101 but it's not quite as "spacy". You can hear it in the video link at 8:10, good shot of it at 8:25. Thanks for caring. :cool:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ors3aPfoI

:nopity:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electro Harmonix Frequency Analyzer Ring Modulator.

Frequency Analyzer is just the name of the pedal. The device is a ring modulator.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Electro Harmonix Frequency Analyzer Ring Modulator.

Frequency Analyzer is just the name of the pedal. The device is a ring modulator.

well, that would explain a lot. I'm using an envelope filter trying to get the sound of a ring modulator. Duh. Not gonna happen, right? Anyway, there definitely is a second row of 2 knobs that I cannot find on any posted image. I'm wondering if this might be a custom mod by Ken Rich. I'll contact Ken after the holidays and see what he says. Thanks for the quick response.

It looks like an EHX case and sounded like a ring modulator. My old Memory Man Deluxe has 2 rows of knobs but that is an Analog Delay/ modulation effects unit. Which would do the pitch bending also. EHX also changes their layouts over the years and has made a lot of different stuff.

Maybe it is an old Memory Man. If you could only afford one I would find an old Memory Man Deluxe. My favorite Chorus effect of all time.

Adam MacDougall gets a sound I really like out of his clavinet. I have tried to find out what the effect is sitting on top of his D6 but have come up empty. I use a MF-101 but it's not quite as "spacy". You can hear it in the video link at 8:10, good shot of it at 8:25. Thanks for caring. :cool:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ors3aPfoI

Thanks for that clip. What fun!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What happened to Eddie Harsch? I guess I hadn't heard he wasn't in the band anymore.
He's been gone since 2006. Warpaint was the first album without him, I believe.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow, 2006. Where does the time go?
Yeah, the Crowes have had another hiatus and return since then. :snax:

The knob configuration looks like an old Deluxe Memory Man. Sweeping the delay rate on an analog delay can give you a swooping effect like you hear around 8:10.

I've looked at quite a few photos and believe this to be the correct model. Thanks for the tip about sweeping the delay rate. I'm watching one on eBay, have to see what happens after Christmas. At least it's not a custom mod. :)

When I said above ' If you afford one'. I meant if you can afford both. My old Deluxe us my favorite Chorus effect ever.

The EHX stuff can be noisy but it is cool.

Thanks for that clip. What fun!

Black Crowes put on a fun show to watch for sure. I saw 2 shows early on in this tour, consider myself lucky.

yeah, I saw them on this tour, too. I also saw them on the last few, perhaps every one since Warpaint.

When I said above ' If you afford one'. I meant if you can afford both. My old Deluxe us my favorite Chorus effect ever.

The EHX stuff can be noisy but it is cool.

thanks everyone. I have identified the unit with your help as a EHX Deluxe Memory Man (Classic Chassis) KLONK. Couldn't have done it without you. I just need now to decide whether to buy one of these used or wait for the Minifooger Analog Delay which are selling for $199, about half of the going price for the EHX unit. The Minifooger is not yet shipping. Best I can tell will be available in March. NAMM? :D

Archived