Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians everyone likes

cleomenesII

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I currently live in New Jersey and lived in So. California before that where everyone seemed to like Billy Joel also. He appeals to the very young and older people, too.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

The Day Billy Joel threw Christie Brinkley off the Tallahatchie Bridge......

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In the spirit of Christmas, How about musicians everyone dislikes?

Richie Blackmore?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Richie Blackmore?

As a musician and not adding anything else to the mix, why would one not like Ritchie Blackmore? One hell of a guitar player in my opinion. Of course, that is my opinion.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I've never met a soul who doesn't like Kanker. That guy's awesome!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I originally meant world-famous musicians, but definitely +1 to Jim - great musician, fantastically helpful, and a really nice guy (never met him, but I am extrapolating from all his posts and videos): he meets all the criteria!

George Shearing - definitely! (His autobiography is well worth reading)

Oscar Peterson - seems obvious to me that he meets all the criteria, but I have met people who don't like his playing.

Oscar Peterson - seems obvious to me that he meets all the criteria, but I have met people who don't like his playing.

You obviously weren't around during the Keyboard Magazine brouhaha in (I think) the late 1980's!

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Richie Blackmore?

As a musician and not adding anything else to the mix, why would one not like Ritchie Blackmore? One hell of a guitar player in my opinion. Of course, that is my opinion.

I called in on a friend a couple of years ago. Ritchie Blackmore was sitting in his front room. I did a bit of a double take, and Blackmore said "You're not going to go all weird are you?" I assured him that I wasn't. "Good" he grunted.

I was only there for 5 minutes, but he seemed like a regular guy to me.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Musicians everybody likes?

Not had the opportunity to meet many of the "world famous" types upclose and personal, but one that I have that would get my vote:

Jon Cleary - (one of the most down to earth people I've ever met, ever.)

He and his music may not be universally loved, but my long-running musician man-crush is Dave Grohl.

He's on a personal (and admirable) mission to keep rock music alive, as evidenced by the Foo Fighters' last album, which was recorded in his garage on all analog equipment and which thumped serious ass.

He also seems like a genuinely good, down-to-earth dude from every interview I've seen and heard with him (an opinion that's been confirmed from a musician friend who is good friends with a guy who is friends with Grohl).

Plus, he's responsible for one of the all-time great posts on social media:

"When I think about kids watching a TV show like American Idol or The Voice, then they think, Oh, OK, thats how you become a musician, you stand in line for eight fucking hours with 800 people at a convention center and... then you sing your heart out for someone and then they tell you its not fuckin good enough. Can you imagine? Its destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy an old fucking drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and theyll suck, too. And then theyll fucking start playing and theyll have the best time theyve ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden theyll become Nirvana. Because thats exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some shitty old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-ass shit, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You dont need a fucking computer or the internet or The Voice or American Idol. - Dave Grohl

:thu::cool:

Noah

I doubt that my American fellows would recognize the musicians who I would mention in this context, as they are mostly Italian... but thinking about Americans, Dick Hyman comes to mind. British pianist John Taylor too. (I had a couple of very pleasant and relaxed conversations with him)

Louis Armstrong

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I've met Brian Auger and Don Airey, both very nice guys

Couple of friends met/worked with Jon Lord. I never heard anyone say a bad word about him

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

(Most) Everyone likes: James Taylor, Nat King Cole, Clifford Brown, Art Tatum, Chaka Khan, Earth Wind and Fire, J.S. Bach, Rachmaninoff, Miles Davis (at least one "season" of his output)

Also:

(Most) Everyone likes: Keith Jarrett, when he just plays.

(Most) Everyone dislikes: Keith Jarrett, when he opens his mouth.

Jimmy Buffet comes to mind and Zack Brown lately. George Strait and Alan Jackson too. Probably screwed more promoters and club owners than anyone in the biz, but I never heard a bad word spoken of Jones. Dolly Parton is also as lovable as they come.

My 2cents, fwiw.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I think you have to separate the music and personality of the person.

There's some musicians that have wide appeal, but only for their MUSIC. How they act would make people cringe.

Keith Jarrett is one guy that comes to mind. Love his music, doubt he would be a pleasant guy to be around. Same with Miles Davis.

Rare is the musician who is humble and talented. Eric Johnson the guitarist from Texas is one I can think of.

I met Eric Johnson once many years ago. One of the nicest, humblest guys I've ever met.

Never met Allan Holdsworth but by all accounts the same applies.

Neither qualifies as "everyone likes", mostly because they are still relatively unknown outside of muso circles.

Ditto on Dolly Parton!

My mom loved Dolly. In the 70s she had some songs I liked (Coat of Many Colors comes to mind) but I didn't know much about her personally.

Then I caught her on Johnny Carson talking about how she got her "look". She rode into town with her dad and saw the hookers with their big hair and make-up and thought they were pretty. She modeled her look after them. Wow. She talked about how poor they were and she just seemed so "real" - in stark contrast with her "fake" look - I immediately became a huge fan.

British pianist John Taylor too. (I had a couple of very pleasant and relaxed conversations with him)

Is this the John Taylor on Kenny Wheeler's Widow in the Window?

Yep same guy. I too had a good chat with him after a gig (with Marilyn Mazur) a few years back. I specifically talked about the synth on the first Azimuth record (It's an EMS VCS3 for those interested). Super nice guy and genuinely intrigued why I was asking about that synth!

Archived