Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Performance Report -Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life

HammondDave

The concert was phenomenal. He played the whole album and sounded great. Many guest musicians including Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea. Chick played Moog on "Contusion". Will be posting some vids from the show below. Truly, a once in a lifetime show.

It was a Yamaha Fest everywhere. Stevie's rig was a Yamaha grand, a XF8, and his iconic Clavinet D6. There were three keyboard sections plus a fourth when a guest artist would play. Chick played a Moog Voyager and an XF8, they used a Nord C2 for the Hammond sounds.

The only disappointment was glitchy sound like microphones cracking and feedback. Yes, you read correctly. Someone's career ended last night.

The good news, they taped last night for a DVD... Let's see what sonic repairs they can make.

Here is "Knocks Me Off My Feet"... Stevie breaks down from emotion mid song. He explained that he thinks about his mom every time he plays it.

[video:youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvrvHs_Ycwg&feature=em-upload_owner&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlvrvHs_Ycwg%26feature%3Dem-upload_owner

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only saw The Great One, in concert once.. Madison Square Garden.. a few decades ago. Two things struck me, how Stevie was able to transcend the poor acoustics in that room... and the sense at the end of the concert, of a holy peaceful, church-like silence that fell over the huge room. We are talking NYC, back in the day, before it's current murder rate of 417 versus in 1990 an astounding 2245! It was a scary place... but that environment known for controlled and not so controlled violence, felt like a sanctified church. I could hear no one speaking! Stevie's spiritual power, was the clear catalyst. I will never forget this experience.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Wow, HammondDave! THAT was an honest performance.

Thank you so much for making the effort to record and post that clip!

My best to you. :thu:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

No problem.. I will be posting more later... I wish I could have gotten "Contusion".. Chick was pretty damn awesome. Considering that song was definitely written in the style of Return to Forever, Chick was the natural choice.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Only saw The Great One, in concert once.. Madison Square Garden.. a few decades ago. Two things struck me, how Stevie was able to transcend the poor acoustics in that room... and the sense at the end of the concert, of a holy peaceful, church-like silence that fell over the huge room. We are talking NYC, back in the day, before it's current murder rate of 417 versus in 1990 an astounding 2245! It was a scary place... but that environment known for controlled and not so controlled violence, felt like a sanctified church. I could hear no one speaking! Stevie's spiritual power, was the clear catalyst. I will never forget this experience.

First time I saw him was at the Masonic Temple Theater in Detroit in 1984:

[video:youtube]

...this is from a special filmed either for Showtime or HBO. They filmed the whole 4-night stand; I've heard that this is mostly (or all) from night 1, but I have no idea if that's true. I was at night 2. :)

Another gem..."As". Excuse the shaky video as this was our wedding song and I am dancing with Dana while shooting. Yes, Stevie starts the song an octave high, but he stops and restarts. And yes, that's Herbie Hancock on Rhodes.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6KLJxL-RZE

Wow, thank you so much for your post. A living legend!

So true. I never saw him live until I moved to L.A.

Before we were married, my wife surprised me with two tickets to a special VIP concert at The House of Blues. Stevie played for three hours that time. That concert was damn spectacular (and pretty much convinced me to pop the question with my wife).

The second time was at The Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. Then we saw him at an Obama fundraiser last year at the same venue as last night's concert (The Nokia Theater).

Last night's concert was his annual Xmas House Full of Toys Concert. It's a benefit he has done for the past 18 years with all the proceeds going to needy children. That alone puts him on top in my book, and makes me feel pretty good about paying the high ticket price!

So I have been blessed with seeing him several times. And he still sounds fantastic. What a voice!

and finally... "Sir Duke"

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFSDAOGWTtk&feature=youtu.be

Or you could've just posted your report in the other thread you started. :rolleyes:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2552226/Going_to_see_Stevie_Wonder_per#Post2552226

Really D-Bon... Even though this is a performance report? Why don't you relax and enjoy Xmas....

For those interested, here are images from the program of the concert. Some pretty impressive musicians...

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/8376ec99-2d8f-4c84-ad90-d7216765472a_zpsb1afd1f2.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/image_zps9ac2810a.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/89a9fc52-678b-4f83-9fa0-7f963d65faab_zps45e32bb5.jpg

A very emotional performance of "If It's Magic". This was the original harp track from the album. The original musician, Destiny Muhammed, died a few days after the album was released. In tribute, Stevie performed it with her track. He barely makes it through. What a heart!

[video:youtube]

Fantastic show. Could not believe all the guests. A once in a lifetime event.

I posted clips on my Instagram. Instagram.com/philipclark

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Archived