Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELLO!!! Please help me... HAMMOND B3 Clones for backline

Gus Lozada

Hello there!

I am about to start a tour with a top band in Latin America.

I usually use my good-old M-AUDIO and AKAI keyboards but I've never been in a continent-wide tour, so bringing my keyboards with me could be a mess -and expensive- and impractical. We need to ask locally in each country for backline keyboards.

So, I know what kind of controllers I can ask locally to control my Pro Tools / Hybrid / Omnisphere virtual synths... but...

... what to ask for a GOOD Hammond clone?

I need one with physical drawbars, like the NORD ELECTRO 4 or the HAMMOND SK-1.

IN CASE that the local houses of backline don't have them, WHAT ELSE could I ask for?

Thanks!!

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you need the drawbars to control software, or is the clone standalone?

If the latter, your usual suspects at backline companies in North America, based on my personal experience up until a year ago or so:

• Korg CX3
  • Roland VK7
  • Roland VK8
  • Hammond XK3c
  • Hammond XK1
  • Hammond XB2
  • Nord Electro 2
  • Nord Electro 3

I strongly doubt you'll find an Electro 4D or Hammond SK1 at backline yet, but I would definitely ask. Backline more often than not has standard, tried and true instruments, but can often source newer units from local retailers' rental departments for you. Again, from personal experience, in North America. As always, YMMV.

Hopefully not in your case; but when a band I was in, played in S America, my passport ( and our drummer as well ) was asked to be seen by someone connected with the tour aspect, not immigration. Me and drummer hand it to him, and we never saw it again! I do not recall details.. this guy was legitimately connected to tour, if memory serves. He was not a petty street thief.

Be aware.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

As your own backup you could think about an xm2 and midi drawbar unit with a Vent.. This way if the backline hammond unit is unacceptable you could always connect it via MIDI; it would be a killer hammond unit and extremely portable.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thank You all!!!

I am using PRO TOOLS / AIR's DB33 for the Hammond sounds. Good enough for me. And with a M-AUDIO keyboard (with 9 faders) I can play it perfectly.

However I am afraid (1) I can't take one keyboard to all the places (expensive / impractical, etc) and (2) if they don't have one controller I can map immediately to the DB33's drawbars -even with "midi learn" it's not the same for me- , well, I will need an actual synth like a Nord and all the other ones you guys mentioned. Thanks for the info.

And don't worry. Latin America is my territory and I know "my" people ;)

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived