Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

lead synth suggestions

Moon Zero Two

did a jam at the house and dusted off my Minimoog and put it on top of my CP4 and had a great time - so might do something with these guys - of course the Mini is NOT leaving the house - so looking for suggestions for a small light synth action lead synth for jam sessions and when I think suggestions I think of this forum.

I would like to keep it under a grand - for about that much I could get a Yamaha Moxf6 - but that is complicated and over kill and I had a Motif xs and didn't think the lead synth sounds were that great....

Thinking along the lines of a Morpho SE or Gaia or a used little phatty maybe even a venom...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did a jam at the house and dusted off my Minimoog and put it on top of my CP4 and had a great time - so might do something with these guys - of course the Mini is NOT leaving the house - so looking for suggestions for a small light synth action lead synth for jam sessions and when I think suggestions I think of this forum.

I would like to keep it under a grand - for about that much I could get a Yamaha Moxf6 - but that is complicated and over kill and I had a Motif xs and didn't think the lead synth sounds were that great....

Thinking along the lines of a Morpho SE or Gaia or a used little phatty maybe even a venom...

And WHY do musicians think this way.. this instrument is NOT leaving my abode, no, never!! I do not understand this. You are not the only one who has said this. Why not? Spend $750 on a soft case with 5 inches of padding all around it, custom made..!!

Or get one of these adapted for the prized Moog! :idea:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

it's a nearly 40 year old instrument that can be on the finicky side (tuning drift) and doesn't have presets or effects. It sounds great though. Gigging or going to a jam session w a vintage synth can be a problem and moving a board always runs the risk of breakage or being stolen. I remember being on a break and seeing someone bump my two tier apex stand and watching my K2000 fall to the stage. luckily the white keys broke the fall and spread across the floor like loose chicklets. It was in the shop for months waiting for replacement FETS - whatever they were.

I guess bottom line is I wouldn't feel comfortable moving it around.

I rememember almost twenty years ago, a drunken lead singer in the band I was working with, crashing into my rig and sending my two keyboards to the floor. What a dick.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I have no idea why Moog made the Sub Phatty two octaves - I am hoping that they will release a version with a larger keyboard soon now that they have discontinued the Little Phatty.

I will try the Ultra Nova - I have seen those very cheap _ I think Rougue has one for $350...the UI looks tricky.

I have purchased 2 Venoms, one for myself (since sold) and one for my 19 year old son. Pretty cool 4 octave keyboard that should cost you no more than US $400. It has a very agressive sound for the most part, though. Definately try one before purchasing.

:nopity:

I control my Slim Phatty with a midi cable from my primary controller. The knobs are still close enough to play. I think you might find that the Sub Phatty can be arranged the same way. The sub is the modern Moog which comes closest to a Model D, in my view.

If you are looking at VA's give the King Korg a chance. Apart from the very basic build quality (and the lack of aftertouch), it's a lovely instrument with a lot of range and no aliasing.

[video:youtube]V9jrfH65QiE

With the caveat that it's only 2 octaves, the Novation Bass Station II seems like a bargain (can be had for #399 new on some Ebay merchants). Seems like a really flexible architecture for the price and it's pressure-sensitive. I haven't played one but I generally like Novation synth actions (except for the Launchkey I played last week which was terrible.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

OK, I get your answer. I was coming from tone... if the 40 year old Moog gets that sound, that NO other board gets! As a kid, I saw the highly dedicated saxophonist J Coltrane, take his horn OFF the stage on each break!

On one outdoor gig I do, I am indeed nervous about the theft of my bass.

In your case you must find the equal of the moog you like so much... or try my flamethrower deterrent idea and tell me how it goes 0_0

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I think I will start gigging with my Mini when I get the chance. If I can switch it on for a few hours (!) before I see no problems my 1972 Mini just locks in tune for days on end

What I do want is a pedal to control VCF/VCA though makes a huge difference

[video:youtube]

Nord.

I use a Wave as a top board - it has a unique way of sitting in a mix that most everyone I play with comments on - a presence, an attitude that just sounds right.

Leads and Lead 2s can be had pretty reasonably used. And it's knobby, and the morph function on my Wave is a total gas.

I have a Venom (was one of those guys that pulled the trigger at $199), a Source and other candidates for "small top board" but that Wave hold pride of place for now.

My two cents...

If you want a board for those type of Moog sounds, then the Alesis Ion or the King Korg, as mentioned above, are the ones to go to.

If you can accept a module, then search out a Creamware Minimax, it has the same console layout as an original minimoog, and sounds just like it -presets and effects as well.

If you want ultra-convenience, get an Ipad and the relevant leads, and download the Arturia Mini V app...simple!

I think I will start gigging with my Mini when I get the chance. If I can switch it on for a few hours (!) before I see no problems my 1972 Mini just locks in tune for days on end

I used mine outdoor this summer and had no problems even I switched it on only half an hour before show.

It needed about 20 min for warm up, then kept in tune for a gig after being tuned.

In my home even longer,- the whole day and until I switch it off again.

What I do want is a pedal to control VCF/VCA though makes a huge difference

That´s what I use,- MOOG 1120 CV pedals,- 1 for VCF and the other for VCA.

The one for VCA isn´t urgently necessary but working w/ the VCF pedal is essential for max expressivity.

A.C.

Yeah, the Creamware stuff is really good.

Confirmed !

I use a old SCOPE Pro (15DSP) PCI card in one of my Windows XP DAW machines and buyed the SCOPE 5.1 upgrade from SONIC CORE some weeks ago.

Minimax, Profit included and I also have the optional Prodyssey and 4 ZARG (John Bowen) synths, not to mention all the excellent FX, mixers and more coming w/ SCOPE v5.1.

Not enough,- last year I buyed the Sonic Core XITE-1 DSP rackmount unit which runs the same set of devices plus almost every device made by ZARG (John Bowen) and the SC-ProTone and ZARG ProOne,- both being excellent emulations of the SCI Pro One.

Well, the synths sound awesome on both systems while I have much more DSP power on the XITE-1 though.

Both systems run Modular II / II and IV as well as the excellent (and free) BC Modular and CWM modules too.

It´s so much synth power and flexibility I´ll be busy w/ that for years.

I cannot imagine I´ll need/want a new hardware synth the next years,- maybe a John Bowen Solaris ... eventually just because there´s the virtual Solaris device by ZARG running on XITE-1 too.

I control that stuff by my Kurzweil PC361 b.t.w. and use 2nd fully weighted 88 keys board in addition.

A.C.

44 key Mopho is less than a grand. I like the Prophet 8 for leads but that is mo money. Sub phatty sounds cool but I would have to use it like a module and control it with the XK3c

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Lets see, the OP said he was looking for a small light LEAD synth. Hmm....the King Korg is a 5 Octave KB, and at $1299 (Sweetwater) that synth is probably overkill.

My guess is a smaller synth from Dave Smith would certainly fill the bill nicely. The Morpho SE looks awesome. 44 note four voice analog synth, weighted keys, velocity sensitive, after touch. Small and light. I didn't find a demo yet, but here's a link to its early version the X4.

Great sound with serious ballsyness!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The SE is just a Mopho under the hood but with P12 style knobs and 44 keys. The X4 is poly capable synth.

But for a mono synth around a grand the SE is great.

Demos of the Yellow Mopho will give you a overview of the sound of the engine.

I like the DSI Curtis filter stuff a lot but it isn't a Moog. It is not necessarily worse or better. Just different. I would take the Mopho SE over the Gaia if you want something anywhere close to a Mini vibe.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

CEB:

Dave Smith said the SE is a 4 Voice "lead" synth, so I am assuming it is a poly synth too. Anyway, I love the sound of Dave Smith's KBs. Yep, they sound a little different than the Moog stuff, but that is OK with me. I've had Moog and still have my Prophet 5. They are both great synths.

I am very happy to see Dave Smith still at it.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

CEB:

Dave Smith said the SE is a 4 Voice "lead" synth, so I am assuming it is a poly synth too.

It's not. Monophonic like other non-X4 Mophos.

I personally would have a hard time buying the SE for 950 when the X4 is 1300.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Yes, I love the sound and layout of the Prophet 12. Nice board.

The Mopho series looks like a fun board when smaller is in order!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Archived