Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Night of the Fire ( at my house)

LX88

Well....

Last Wednesday night I returned home to find a huge pile of burnt rubble in front of my house - mostly burned Vinyl LPs left by the local fire department.

Apparently , there had been a fire. Though it was small ( a book case with the LPs in it) it caused a huge amount of smoke damage.

Most of my main keyboards( Numa organ, Roland RD 300 GX, Hammond B-3 ) were in other rooms. Unfortunately, a Wurlitzer 140 B was not.

Because of smoke damage, my house is uninhabitable. Structurally most of it is OK .

I am counting my blessings. My house was insured.... it could have burnt to the ground. There was a huge amount of smoke from the vinyl, which alerted the neighbors to call the fire department, who are actually quite close to where I live.

The cause of it was a simple bad cord in a fan that was plugged into a power strip. I also had carpet which probably caught on fire from the bad cord ( I have the cord as a "souvenier".

So anyway.... I could use a bit of support. It may be a while before I have a steady place to stay. I have been bouncing around at motels, friends houses etc. etc.

It would be nice to hear from a few friends from the list. Ultimately, it may turn out to be a good thing since I was badly in need of un cluttering my life, plus my house could use some work. And some better electric outlets.

I think back to Steve on this list ( Acidolem ) from a few years back who was not so fortunate from his roof accident. I could easily have taken a nap in the afternoon or something, so I feel fortunate.

Please no "I told you so" posts.

Whew.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear about your loss. You mentioned you are insured, find out from your adjuster what they can provide for you in the way of a pro cleaning company that specializes in fire, water, soot restoration services; a lot of large franchise companies as well as mom & pops in that business. Some times they can salvage what you think is a total loss, sometimes. Also find out if you have any additional living expense coverage for additional "out of pocket" costs, meals above your normal expenses, rent in addition to your normal home expense, etc. You can always call your ins agent, if you have one, to review your policy coverage. Good luck.
SK-1 61; Mojo LE; Mojo 61. Leslie 122. MS kp500sn, Ventilators.

Sorry to hear this. Think about the positive side. At least you were not asleep when it happened. Never had a house fire. Last year I was lucky enough to be in my garage when the new space heater I bought started blowing oil into the heating element. Was really glad it did not happen at night.

Years ago I lost my entire rig in a fire when the music store the band was practicing in went up in smoke. The fire started in the dentist office next door. Once it got to the tanks of laughing gas there was no stopping it. That's when I lost my Rhodes Chroma.

This post edited for speling.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully things will be back to normal for you before you know it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Things can be replaced - people can't. Thinking of you this Christmas, though.

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

Really sorry to hear this, fire is one of the scariest things to me. Luckily you are ok.

A couple months ago I kept smelling that "electric" smell in my family room. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. By the 2nd day it was a lot worse and I sniffed it out to our 55 gallon fish tank. I opened the cabinet under the stand and smoke was coming out. The cord for the heater had melted into the power strip. The breaker in the strip never popped, nor did the breaker for that part of the house. I am so fortunate that I work from home, if it had gone on another 10 minutes my house would have caught fire.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Sorry to hear of your loss. I did some subcontracting for one of the professional fire/flood restoration companies (who had been brought in by the insurance companies) back when I was servicing musical electronics. Several cases, in most, I was able to restore the keyboard or organ to a point where I felt that the unit would last. In a couple of cases, the particulates from the fire were so invasive that I told the insurance people to replace the instrument.

A satisfactory resolution to the property owner (some home, some churches, some businesses) did happen to the best of my knowledge.

@DanL - home electric breakers are typically 15 or 20 amp on outlets. Consider the amount of heat released by an electric space heater, most of which draw just under 15 amps - so the breaker won't trip. My shop uses a combination of LP gas heat and electric space heaters - and I don't leave the gas heat on when not nearby. The space heater cords are routed carefully so they don't lay on anything flammable. The heaters themselves are placed on the concrete floor a good distance away from flammable items.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

As A full time firefighter ,I can tell you , you got lucky, Ive seen complete destruction in a matter of minutes from a small fire to a fully involved house. Im glad most of your instruments survived, I can tell you from an insider point of view, we just don't have the manpower anymore to do things like " salvage", as in throwing covers over TV's, pianos, B3's etc, which , while were there to put the fire out, we are also there to protect as much property as possible too. Thanks to the idiots who run the govt, they seem to think cutting manpower to essential services is smart.....sorry, Ill get off my soap box now.

Im really glad nobody got hurt, that's the most important thing . Sorry to hear this .

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Glad youre okay! The bad news is. Well, I had a babysitter when my boys were much younger, and on a January evening, my wife and I were looking at houses (seriously considering moving), and came home to find every door and window in the house opened (in January, in Chicago, 10belowZero). Turns out the babysitter wanted to make some popcorn, and put a bag in our microwave, and then went to play bathroom (put on make up) and left the popcorn to burn. My microwave takes at least 8 minutes to make popcorn!

Insurance paid out $35,000.00 to have the ductwork cleaned in my house, but most furniture and all carpeting in my house was destroyed by the smoke damage that came AFTER the initial fire, which itself was contained in the microwave. It prompted an exterior remodeling, an interior remodeling and an addition.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

@DanL - home electric breakers are typically 15 or 20 amp on outlets. Consider the amount of heat released by an electric space heater, most of which draw just under 15 amps - so the breaker won't trip. My shop uses a combination of LP gas heat and electric space heaters - and I don't leave the gas heat on when not nearby. The space heater cords are routed carefully so they don't lay on anything flammable. The heaters themselves are placed on the concrete floor a good distance away from flammable items.

I figured it'd trip from a short, not from heat. But I guess it really didn't short out, just melted the cord and socket in the power strip. (we have since given the fish tank away- we had it for 30 years!)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

This is a golden opportunity to tell us something about yourself, LX88. It's much easier to sympathize with an internet acquaintance when you can attach some attributes (where they live, their history, etc) to a person.

Regarding your incident, I would just say, you should feel very very lucky! Just a slight alteration of events and you could have lost everything in a matter of minutes.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Echoing what the others have said.

I'm very sorry for your losses but I'm relieved that no one was hurt.

A month back I forgot that I was sterilizing some baby equipment on the stove - the water all boiled away and the plastic started to melt on the stove and sent thick white smoke throughout the house in a matter of minutes. I shudder to think what can happen if things like this go on while we're sleeping.

Wishing you a happy new year and easier times soon.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Wow... a big thanks to everyone who has replied. Some I didn't really expect.

As Tony was saying.... this is mainly smoke damage. But it was caused by vinyl. Basically just a bookcase burned, but also the place got VERY hot.

This "disaster" gives me a chance to get a fresh start. Seriously - the gear and the paraphernalia were starting to pile up, and organizing in that house was becoming a overwhelming challenge for me.

I asked for help - and got this.

As I speak, I am in the midst of doing some recording work at the Mark Hatfield room at Willamette University. There is a 7 foot Steinway up here. I am also running a Numa and a Roland RD 300GX. I am waiting out the insurance issues, but have to move around a lot from place to place and will have to do that for awhile.

By the way if anyone knows where I can get a hold of a NAMM pass, I would appreciate it. I still not be able to go back to my house even by then. The store I worked for to get my passes was sold last year.

Thank you for your messages.

Mark -

Glad that you're ok - definitely the most important part. But the destruction and aftermath is a bear. I am sorry that this happened to you.

In 2010 we were out of our townhome for several months; almost total flood damage from a fire sprinkler pipe bursting. Because of the anti-freeze in the system, the mess that was left required replacement of much of the floors and drywall, not to mention a lot of personal possessions. We saved what we could. The final insurance bill, on our side, was around $50K; I don't recall the HOA's insurance amount; it was high, too. Meanwhile, the sprinkler installation/maintenance company - whom expert testing has shown to be clearly at fault - is still fighting with us over the small, remaining settlement requested; insurance BS :rolleyes: . I hope that everything goes smoothly for you with regard to insurance and restoration; it can be a long, challenging road. So I empathize as best I can - as there's much greater personal risk in a fire.

Again, I'm very glad you weren't in harms ways physically, Mark. And it's good to hear that you're continuing to record, and keep busy. It helps keep some degree of routine / normalcy going.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Wow, so sorry to hear that happened, but glad the damage wasn't worse, and that everyone is OK! You're in Salem, right? Do you have the gear you need for gigs? If I can help in any way, just drop a PM!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived