Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Analog Experience or Keylab?

IndySteve

Arturia recently replaced its Analog Experience range of controllers with the Keylab series. The controllers are very similar-looking. The Analog Experience controllers have 4 (drum) pads. The Keylab controllers have 16. That's about the only difference that I see. The software was revised. The older series touted more than 3500 sounds, the new Keylabs advertise 5000 sounds. Here's my question: is it better to get the older series on close-out or pay more for the newer one? I'm primarily looking for a 49 note controller to replace my old M-Audio Oxygen. I'd like to have aftertouch & sliders. I already have Arturia's CS-80V and like it.
Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bigger difference is depth. I am glad to have bought the earlier version because I have extremely limited desktop space on my computer table, and it was the only high quality controller that fit. The new one won't fit; it's like the competitors. Not sure why they went me-too when they filled a niche before.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've got a MiniLab, which has 25 mini-keys. Not my preference for doing any "real" playing (if you'd actually call what I do "real" playing), but it comes in real handy for controlling my iPad or laptop if I go travel. I'm going to my parents house for Christmas and taking the MiniLab, Lenovo laptop, iPad, and headphones and it all fits in my backpack. Can't beat it for that. It has become my traveling studio.

Also, when I bought my MiniLab (it came with Analog Lab software - the one with 5000 sounds) and registered them both, Arturia sent me an offer to upgrade to the V-Collection for 99 euros. That's what it's on sale for right now. I took the bait. I'm still having a ball having the whole set!

I just bought a M-Audio Keystation 49 on closeout. I'm going to use that temporarily in front of my PC until I can sell some things and get an Arturia KeyLab 49 or 61. I've played them at GC and they feel great. As you mentioned, the older KeyLab controllers had only 4 pads and the new ones 16. I find that 16 is helpful when working with drum kits and drum machine software (or MPC style software). As far as the key feel, I didn't notice any difference between the two.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Pretty sure the keybed is the same on both, but I think the drum pads are different aside from also being more numerous. My recollection is that they support aftertouch, which is unusual for pads.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Most of the negative reviews I've seen and read have to do more with support than the products themselves. Evidently, Arturia is a small company with limited resources and it does sometimes take them a while to get back to you on support requests. The Arturia forum in particular is a haven for company bashing, but there are some helpful souls in there as well. Structurally, or mechanically, I don't see any problems with Arturia hardware. The stuff is built like a tank. And most of us here are computer literate enough to get the software to work. It may take several tries, but these kind of noob problems generally get blown out of proportion - especially by people who expect to be spoon fed. And I hate to say this, but I don't give much value to Amazon reviews as they are generally posted by people who are new to VST's or MIDI and thought they'd be able to plug it in and play. Anyone knowledgeable enough to successful install the Arturia stuff is going to at least have done some homework and know about the forums and know where they can get some help/answers. Just my opinion.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Structurally, or mechanically, I don't see any problems with Arturia hardware. The stuff is built like a tank.

The Amazon reviews I read included velocity issues with certain keys, a broken pitch wheel, and broken keys.

Haven't heard anything about velocity issues personally, but the KeyLab models have:

• Longer throw faders
  • Better feeling and larger rotary encoders
  • Larger buttons
  • A slightly nicer, tighter action *

* = this opinion is based on just playing a KeyLab 25 and an Analog Experience 61 that were side-by-side, both new. I'd be happy with either one of them, but the KeyLab wins out between the two.

KeyLab can switch between "banks" of controllers, thereby having even more MIDI CCs at your fingertips (well, after switching banks anyway). That's pretty great.

I have the older model 49 and really like it for synth sounds.

I would get a KeyLab if I wanted another synth-action controller around.

I make software noises.

• 5 months later...

My experience with Arturia controllers is limited. I liked the look and features of the Analog Experience 49, but when I finally got my fingers on the keys I ran away very fast. They felt WAY too mushy and loose with more 'roll' and 'yaw' than was comfortable for me. Ended up buying the Samson Graphite 49.

I got a chance to play a KeyLab 49 at Gearfest and it felt a good bit stronger in the action, but definitely on the lower end of the quality range.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Archived