Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Pedal Sliding Solution

Bo Ayars

Hi, all - Been checking out all the various ways keyboard players use to make their keyboard pedals stop sliding and moving. Had an idea and was curious if anyone else had tried it. I've got a large old piece of plastic floor mat used to protect carpets. It's got some small prongs on one side to help it adhere to the carpet. Why not cut a small piece, attach it to the bottom of the pedal (Velcro, glue?), and simply use that? I'm way into tons of Christmas shows at present but will try it in the new year. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to all

Bo Ayars

baton999@comcast.net

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use non slip rubber on the bottom of the pedals themselves rather than affix to a board or mat of any sort..I often swap standing gigs for sitting gigs, and pedal position as all here would know, changes significantly for either. And it is not as simple as just moving the pedal board further back as I also alter the spacing and angles when standing.

I saw some guy somewhere post that he uses a board that is totally covered in that felty type stuff that velro hooks stick to, so that would work I guess meaning one could stick a pedal anywhere.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Why not cut a small piece, attach it to the bottom of the pedal (Velcro, glue?), and simply use that?

Because if you play on a hardwood/tile/non-carpeted stage, you've just put skates onto your pedals. You thought they moved a lot before? ;)

This has come up in the past... try a search to see some of the more creative (and a lot of pretty common sense) solutions that our members have devised. :thu:

http://www.symphonynovascotia.ca/News/Archives/2010/Sept.-2010/images/2010-11%20Concerts/smith.jpg:laugh:

Only problem is duct tape gets you uninvited from many clubs and better venues. Gaff tape is what you really should use, but it's too expensive for taping down pedals, IMO.

http://www.symphonynovascotia.ca/News/Archives/2010/Sept.-2010/images/2010-11%20Concerts/smith.jpg:laugh:

Only problem is duct tape gets you uninvited from many clubs and better venues. Gaff tape is what you really should use, but it's too expensive for taping down pedals, IMO.

No doubt. I actually don't use anything and have no problems. Mind you I have not actually been in a better venue in a long time either. :laugh:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I use a retangular piece of indoor/outdoor carpet (the kind with the black rubber bottom), have Velcro on the pedal bottoms; the Velcro sticks the pedals to the carpet.

I (3 pedals for 2 keyboards) then roll the whole thing up, lightly wrap the cables around the roll and store it in it's own old nylon bag.

Never had a problem on any surface, but sometimes the whole thing might slightly slide maybe 1 inch during a set, if you clonk the pedals sideways a bit.

I like the floormat idea, but the carpet is more flexible for rolling up and storing the pedals, and holds them just as well.

I've been using Gaff tape - for the better part of a year; but Sven's right, it's pricey and not a good, long - term solution. I like the car mat idea. :thu: Thinking that a heavy duty, winter mat will do the trick; looks to have stronger gripping strength on the bottom. Being that my Subaru wagon is rarely a rear seat, passenger vehicle, I'll try the rear mats that came with the car, first - before buying a larger, front seat mat.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I guarantee your DIY pedal-case is higher quality than those sold by Rondo.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'd like to mount mine to a pedal board but I take different keyboards and pedal combos to different gigs, so it's not practical.

I use a piece of rubber tool box drawer liner and just sit the pedals on it. It works great. Rolls up and goes into my accessory case when I'm done.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Since I have yet to find an OTS solution that is satisfactory, I modified the Polypedal from my Polymoog

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/studio/keyboards/moog_polymoog/moog_polymoog-polypedal-rear.jpg

as a pedal controller for my offsite MIDI system. As a bonus, it cannot slide away because the Polypedal is stopped against the keyboard stand.

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/tour/offsite-rig/offsite-rig-base-system-01-controllers.jpg

I saw that in another pic you posted. Looks great! For me it would only work if I could have both swell pedals control the same thing. I could probably do that with a MIDI Solutions box.

But that's nice having two sustain pedals and up to 3 footswitches, plus swell pedal(s), all with a small footprint, and all always aligned the same way. Wouldn't fit in my little gear bag, though!

What are the two knobs in the back?

Yeah, the lid thing doesn't work for me. I saw Dan L's tool box liner tip on the last thread, and it works great. It's allowed me to lose the velcro off my keyboards too as my iPad and SP Sampler can sit on a piece and not go sliding off my board.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR PEDALS AND PEDAL BOARDS.

It worked so well, I pulled the carpeting from the bottom of my pedal board and replaced it with the tool box liner. (Home Depot or Lowes or Menards, about $13 for a large sheet, which is plenty for a pedalboard, and various accessories with half left over.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My solution is turning pedal 180 degrees from the designers intention. I play pedal backwards, it don't slip no mo.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

You da crazy man. I always suspected, now I know.

Oddly though, I've often played pianos on those roller stands, which seems to me would lift the pedals well off the floor, but never bothered me. Am I forgetting something? Maybe off the floor wouldn't be a problem. Or maybe I'm more accepting when I'm playing someone else's piano.

For all of my Broadway and touring show pits, I use gaff tape as it allows players to position the pedals (sustain, volume and patch change) *exactly* at the angles that are most comfortable.

The ideal pedal layout for players can vary with pit size, so flexibility is a high priority. We just keep several rolls of it on hand and there's always more available from the props department.

I suppose it's not ideal if your mad pedal-chops are going to be filmed for your feature episode of Behind the Music, but otherwise I cannot think of a downside.

I saw that in another pic you posted. Looks great! For me it would only work if I could have both swell pedals control the same thing. I could probably do that with a MIDI Solutions box.

But that's nice having two sustain pedals and up to 3 footswitches, plus swell pedal(s), all with a small footprint, and all always aligned the same way. Wouldn't fit in my little gear bag, though!

I had to take out the middle 3rd switch, not enough pins on the connector as part of my modification. Right sustain pedal for piano, the other is a wild card for any MIDI switch control.

The swell on right is for horns/strings/choir/etc, the footswitch next to that is solo volume for piano.

The swell on the left is for Hammond, the footswitch next to that is leslie speed.

The format of the Polypedal is just right... I can hit the pedals and switches without looking down at it. Very ergonomic. I did get an Anvil case for it, and am very glad I did!!!

What are the two knobs in the back?

One varies the pitch bend with the left swell pedal, the other selects single or multiple trigger. No longer used in my system.

Archived