Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can't get over the look.

sherry

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw a pro band in south Florida and the keyboard player was using a single 61 key Motif. Everyone else had tons of gear and he looked so bare there with a tiny keyboard. And most of the parts he was playing were piano. Sounded great, but looked kind of silly. My question for all you pros: Is looking cool just as important as sounding cool? I know it's a silly question, but I don't believe I've ever seen a pro touring band's keyboardist using only a single 61 note board. I'm actully thinking of doing the same for the simple reason of weight and stage realestate. Am I crazy?

& y'all wonder why guitar players get all the chicks.

The guy in Gravity Kills had the greatest keyboard stand ever devised:

[video:youtube]

...too bad it weighed 300 pounds.

^^^ Ha! Ha!:D.

The nicest looking stand I have ever seen was a big chromed beast used by Toya's keyboardist years ago , I cant find a picture or vid of it anywhere.

Brett

Saw a pro band in south Florida and the keyboard player was using a single 61 key Motif. Everyone else had tons of gear and he looked so bare there with a tiny keyboard. And most of the parts he was playing were piano. Sounded great, but looked kind of silly. My question for all you pros: Is looking cool just as important as sounding cool? I know it's a silly question, but I don't believe I've ever seen a pro touring band's keyboardist using only a single 61 note board. I'm actully thinking of doing the same for the simple reason of weight and stage realestate. Am I crazy?

The understated visual impact of a single small keyboard can be offset and augmented by the player's rock-power and moxy. Or by simply wearing a Devo hat to the gig. I'd go with the hat just to be safe.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

The understated visual impact of a single small keyboard can be offset and augmented by the player's rock-power and moxy. Or by simply wearing a Devo hat to the gig. I'd go with the hat just to be safe.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

funny, as many times as I have heard that song I have never seen the video :laugh: sorry to veer off topic again. carry on

:nopity:

But I do remember reading in Keyboard magazine this year I think, that the keyboard player in Steve Smith's Vital Information, tours with just a single 61-key board for his rig because of the realistic economics and logistics, mainly the economics, of touring in a jazz-fusion band today. It made me sad.

Tom Coster doesn´t like weighted actions. Saw him in the nineties on tour with

V I. He used a pair of Korg 61´s. Think it was 01/W and Wavestation.

No wonder he can tour with a single Kronos 61 then...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The guy in Gravity Kills had the greatest keyboard stand ever devised:

[video:youtube]

...too bad it weighed 300 pounds.

Wow...the guy is "rocking" a freaking Oberheim Matrix 12 :D

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Archived