Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spotify vs. Pandora vs. Whateverelseisoutthere

Groove Mama

Which streaming music service(s) do you use? Which have you tried?

Which is your favorite? Why? (Unique features? Ease of use? Better selection of tunes and/or artists? Other factors?)

Have you upgraded to the paid version? Is it worth the money? Why or why not?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be following this thread, as Pandora plays the same crap over and over and over and I'd like an alternative. I do a double-take when they actually play something I haven't heard way too many times before from a major or even medium act. And EVERYTHING except the ukulele channel gradually mixes in Maroon 5 and Jason Mraz into the mix. I've tried training my Pandora with the thumbs down button--doesn't work. Methinks they get payola from Maroon 5 et.al. And that damn pro-fracking commercial drives my Never-Trust-Halliburton psyche right up a freakin' wall. "We got the facts. And guess what? It's safe!" Oh, sure it is.... Haven't done the paid upgrade, but we do it for Hulu and Netflicks. The wife watches netflicks much more than me. Hulu gets used every day. It rocks, but doesn't include The Daily Show's extra content during the interview. So dunno if we're missing anything there. And, we skip the "moment of zen" 'cause it's generally not worth another commercial.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I rarely use any of these services, but if I do, it's Pandora. I've set up a few lists, and usually get something close to what I like. But again, it's not often I use it, and then it's just something to listen to while I'm doing mind-numbing work.

I won't use Spotify, as I've heard from many artists that they get paid practically nothing from having their songs streamed there. Pandora at least gives them something close to standard airplay rates.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I've used iTunes radio, which is OK I guess, but I also have almost 6000 songs and 500 albums in my personal collection on iTunes and I listen to that on shuffle and it's essentially my own radio station.

I honestly find the "(name of band) channel" concept to be really annoying. I still think computers are lousy at making musical connections. For example, just now "Heatwave" by Martha Reeves came up on my iTunes, and then "Tarkus" by ELP. I love both of these genres and songs--there's no streaming service that will put them together for me like that.

I've used Pandora once or twice. Meh.

The one service I do use more often is Spotify. I have found it useful if there's a new album I want to check out, or an old album I haven't heard in ages that I want to hear to see if it still holds up. For example, I have XO by Elliott Smith and wanted to hear some of his other albums. Usually, if I hear something I like on Spotify I'll buy it, either on Amazon or at my local used CD store.

Each of these services, however, still have gaps in their artist collection. For example, the other day I wanted to hear "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf (don't ask). Unfortunately, you can't get Meatloaf music on Spotify. There are a number of other artists who still aren't on streaming services, like Bob Seger.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I've used iTunes radio, which is OK I guess, but I also have almost 6000 songs and 500 albums in my personal collection on iTunes and I listen to that on shuffle and it's essentially my own radio station.

I honestly find the "(name of band) channel" concept to be really annoying. I still think computers are lousy at making musical connections. For example, just now "Heatwave" by Martha Reeves came up on my iTunes, and then "Tarkus" by ELP. I love both of these genres and songs--there's no streaming service that will put them together for me like that.

I also listen to a lot of my iTunes collection on random mix, or playlist, but at work I was using Last.fm. Instead of one artist, you can pick up to three for a custom station, and then indicate which associated artists you like, or hate, and it does a good job of making sure you never hear them again. I'd love it if I could have a "classic Rock, all the sounds you never hear on the radio, but you know where on the album" playlists.

I use Spotify to listen to songs and albums I am considering buying.

I have Sirius XM in my car, but I'm on the fence about cancelling it, I still enjoy the variety of stations, even if after a while they play the predictable hits in the rock genres at least. The funk or jazz channels do a better job of pulling out the unusual stuff.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I used Pandora when it first came out.... meh. But I sure wasn't going to pay for the service.

Right now, I've been enjoying iHeartradio. Not so much for the music as much as the other content. They have comedy stations (24/7 Comedy) and now some talk too, but for me it's about the comedy. I can create a station for say George Carlin and I'll get the unedited cuts from classic comedy albums. It's free and works well on my Driod. To be honest I don't know if the others do similar tasks.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I have Sirius XM in my car, but I'm on the fence about cancelling it, I still enjoy the variety of stations, even if after a while they play the predictable hits in the rock genres at least. The funk or jazz channels do a better job of pulling out the unusual stuff.

I'm a big fan of Sirius and have been a subscriber for almost 10 years.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

The only reason I'm considering cancelling is because I don't spend a lot of time in my car. I love the variety of stations, all my presets are full. I also love the idea of driving on long trips and still listening to the same stations. I wish that satellite radio had been available 15 years ago when I was living in West Texas.

I still have the home receiver, but when I am home I usually listen to iTunes.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are a number of good public radio stations that have good programming and even one with 24/7 jazz. I also like to watch a lot of public television concerts and last night watched the Il Volo Christmas special.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

, unless you actively manage and train it.

Aside from the thumbs-down button, how is this training done?

Thumbs up, and Thumbs down. Putting things on the shelf that you like but show up to often in the rotation. And suggesting additional artists and songs that are similar to the artist or channel you set up.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are a number of good public radio stations that have good programming and even one with 24/7 jazz.Wally

Actually, so do I, that's why I cancelled the home service. It's only on the road that I like to use it, especially if I'm following a talk show or other program. I probably use Sirius more for talk/special interest than I do for music.

Try out Last.fm, I really think it's a good way to listen to favorites but also find new music.

Archived