Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R & R Hall of Fame? I am done!

HammondDave

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No use commenting any further. It's so ridiculous that it's not worth the bandwidth. I am sorry I started this thread.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Straight up, this guy gets it...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/12/19/the-great-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-swindle.html

As a libertarian, Im opposed to using tax dollars to fund non-essential functions of government, a category that surely describes rock music. Yet taxpayer dollars helped to build the Hall, which just aint right. If rock and roll is doing its job, it should be an enemy of the state, not the recipient of its largess. Indeed, one of the greatest things about rockand lets use the term as broadly as possible, to cover virtually all forms of popular musicis that it didnt need NEA grants or state-supported artists colonies to shake, rattle, and roll. The only government subsidy rock music got was an indirect one: The nations schools bored so many kids that they begged, borrowed, or stole instruments and headed to the nearest garage or bedroom to learn how to express their anger, rage, and frustrated dreams and hopes.

> You'll need to get past the silly intro about his guitar being > able to blow the balls off a charging rhino at 50 paces

...maybe it's me but I just can't! Just skeeves me out viscerally before he plays a note!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

> You'll need to get past the silly intro about his guitar being > able to blow the balls off a charging rhino at 50 paces

...maybe it's me but I just can't! Just skeeves me out viscerally before he plays a note!

You know, I would pay good money to watch a rhino charging towards Ted Nugent.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Yeah but if Ted shot his balls off then he be attacked for animal cruelty. By the way, how many of you know Ted played a benefit concert , also played by Hendrix and other respected artist for MLK in 1968.

FunMachine.

If you take the arrogant egotistical guitar star personality we all complain about and look it up in the dictionary, The Nuge's picture will stare back at you.

He's found a persona that works for him, and I'm sure I would be entertained listening to him spew if we met, but I could never work with someone like that.

Moe

---

In Brother Theo's thread, "Should rock be humble?", I was really thinking about Ted when I said, "Rock should be a screaming monkey waving his unit in your face." By comparison, Mick Jagger is a very civilized fellow.

Ted isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but I rather listen to him than Celine Dion.

--wmp

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

I would say if you're heard and read his interviews, by any standard at all, Mick Jagger, besides being one of rock'n'roll's great frontmen, is "a very civilized fellow." (I've never detected any arrogance or egotism in anything he's said. Rather more witty, literate, self-deprecating and down to earth.) What can I say, I'm a fan!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

I briefly met Nugent at a Wounded Warriors benefit in Texas a few years ago when a blues band I played with opened up for him. I exchanged a few pleasantries with him in between sets and he was actually rather mellow and polite, completely unlike his public testosterone-overloaded A-hole persona. This just illustrates that in the entertainment business, the onstage "character" the public sees is often very different from the private real person. I must confess however that old horndog Ted did seem to take a shine to our band's teenage girl lead guitarist, which is consistent with his onstage persona.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

WOW! funny.... Cant decide who is more worthless, a critic, or his subject matter here, the RRHOF.

...just kidding... i know the answer, critics :wave:

Critics are the lowest form of scum and villainy I can think of!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I must be the only one in the world - I have nothing at all against critics. I really like reading their (the good ones' anyway) opinions and analyses of music, movies, tv, and it doesn't certainly doesn't anger or offend me or anything when they disagree with mine. (At worst, it may challenge me to try to make my own good case about what they missed or got wrong!) Their opinions/reviews/analyses are generally more well thought out, better written and argued, and more informed than those of the average Joe. No they don't "tell me what to like" but often I can get a good sense of whether or not their criteria, the things that make, say a movie, good or noteworthy to them, match up with my own tastes and can very often provide at least a good indication of whether I will like a movie, which is helpful when you're choosing between so many choices, and otherwise the only thing you'd have to go on is the marketing, or the opinions of friends which frequently doesn't get much more insightful than "Yeah, it was really cool, I liked it." A really enjoy reading say reviews of films after I see them too, frequently a good writer/critic can make you think about or notice elements of the work that you missed and just enhance your appreciation of whatever it was. And if 99% of the critics diss something and I end up liking it, or the reverse, so what? Never would bother me or turn me against them. I guess just as someone who enjoys those and is interested in those types of things - tv, movies, music - I also enjoy reading about them!

Rich Forman

frequently a good writer/critic can make you think about or notice elements of the work that you missed and just enhance your appreciation of whatever it was.

+1

++

I think the role of critics is particularly important in the movie industry. By and large it's a sequel-crazy, lowest common denominator, me-too endeavor. But every year several good movies are rescued from box-office hell just because they get overwhelmingly positive reviews. If this didn't happen on a semi-regular basis, I'm not sure these movies would even get made. It would just be Iron-man 9, Medea 12, and Hangover 23.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived