Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R & R Hall of Fame? I am done!

HammondDave

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Deep Purple and Yes have been nominated (and deserve to be in)..

IMO, deserving but never nominated :

Chicago

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Moody Blues

ELP

Yet LL Cool J has been nominated 3 times - how is that possible, it's not even rock???

I recently argued with someone about Kiss' eligibilty according to HOF's stated selection factors :

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.
My argument was that they might fit the bill until that last bit about "musical excellence".

You are right... It's only about popularity.

Yet, if memory serves, you complain about this every year. :confused:

Deep Purple has only produced 20 albums and have been performing for fifty years.

You forgot "using 200 different musicians in 47 different versions." ;)

Hall and Oates.

Oates

Oates

Oates

Oates

Oates

Oates

You are right... It's only about popularity.

Yet, if memory serves, you complain about this every year. :confused:

Why does it seem more frequent than that to me? :freak:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Maybe I'm partial to Hall & Oats due to hockey days of yesteryear when we had Brett Hull and some dude with the last name that happened to be oats, and they made posters that said "Hull & Oats" in their St. Louis Blues uniforms.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Adam Oates also has an "e" in his name. ;) One of the best centermen of his generation!

Yep, that's him! I was fairly young at the time and didn't really get into hockey that much until the 90s after I had my own place with buddies.

(Leave it to a Canadian to know more about hockey in my home town than me)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

At least Deep Purple and Yes have been nominated (and deserve to be in)..

IMO, deserving but never nominated :

Chicago

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Moody Blues

ELP

Yet LL Cool J has been nominated 3 times - how is that possible, it's not even rock???

I recently argued with someone about Kiss' eligibilty according to HOF's stated selection factors :

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.
My argument was that they might fit the bill until that last bit about "musical excellence".

Totally agree... If they went strictly by these factors, half the inductees would not be in. Forget about Deep Purple for a moment... Just consider:

Chicago (great musicians, innovative, distinctive, superior in style and technique, along with Al Kooper/Blood Sweat and Tears, started the whole brass rock movement in the 60's)

Moody Blues (great musicians, innovative, superior in style and technique, started symphonic rock in the 60's)

Yes (great musicians, innovative, superior in style and technique, were major contributors to prog rock).

King Crimson (great musicians, innovative, superior in style and technique, major contributors to prog rock)

ELP... Stevie Ray.... Etc...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Of the ones you list, I think Chicago and Yes would be the predominant candidates. Some of the others either had shorter careers, less influence, or less mainstream.

Dan

Now I am REALLY pissed... Here are the results of the fans" voting:

KISS (17.2%),

Nirvana (15.7%)

Deep Purple (11.9%)

Yes (10.9%)

Hall and Oates (8.1%)

Really? Ronstadt, Cat, and Gabriel did not even place above Hall and Oates?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Again, with the Hall & Oates bashing....have you actually listened to anything besides Maneater?

I'm torn on Gabrial...didn't care for most of his solo stuff, and if we're talking Genesis, then it would be Genesis. Ronstadt is outside the genre, IMHO, but certainly respectable. Cat...well...I grew up with him, but I just don't see him meeting the criteria in any way.

Dan

I finally got the bold "e". I was very confused for a while. I'm a little slow sometimes.

Dan

Again, with the Hall & Oates bashing....have you actually listened to anything besides Maneater?

Are you kidding? I hear those bouncy pop songs covered every time I watch Live at Darrel's (which I like). Yeah, like I want to hear another version of one of his songs covered by some artist who is forced to play it just to be on the show. Please...

Their music is a lot deeper and more technically challenging than most of the inductees....including DP...there, I said it.

Dan

Let me add..I think DP should be in. I just think you're shorting H&O. I'd cut others first.

Dan

Hey, nothing against Hall and Oates. I respect them and their music. Just because I may not dig it does not make it invalid.

I do like his show, just don't like that he insists on playing his songs over and over. I love the jams. But it's his show, so he can do anything he wants.

Just read this.... Guess this is why they are not in... Ian speaks the truth:

Deep Purples Ian Gillan on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: These Are the Same People That Decided the Monkees Were Americas Answer to the Beatles

Fair point. I'm in awe of The Beatles and George Martin.

Enjoyed the few episodes I caught of The Monkees as a kid - and although we've three Beatles numbers in the set now (and no Monkees, Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally or Neil Diamond) - I have been paid to play Daydream Believer and I'm A Believer many times in the last 25 or so years.

Btw the youngsters who front and sing added Help, I Feel Fine, Please Please Me and All My Lovin' - and only I Feel Fine isn't regularly in the function set.

EDIT: I'm an Irish man and living in the UK and a fan of both U2 and The Stones - but their gift was longevity, being around for us for years. Never been asked for songs by either of them and the only Stones number I've played more than have a dozen times was that country cover - you know the one. Love them both but we shouldn't talk about them being in the same league as The Beatles and those five (?) albums they left us.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Even though I am not thrilled with this years inductees, I still might go to the induction/concert which is April 10th in Brooklyn depending how ticket prices are.

However I think Deep Purple should be in the HOF based on the song Hush alone, which I believe holds its own or surpasses the inductees.

I am on this forum mostly due to the Monkees and Billy Joel (as they were my first influences. On the last 2 Monkees tours especially, they are as much of if not more a band than the groups inducted.

Agreed. Hall and OatEs were big stuff, and then they did something unwise- they decided to take some time off. Bad idea. The same happened to Lionel Richie. They walked away at their peak, and it hurt them.

I don't agree at all. I give them big props for walking away at their peak. As Daryl and John have said, the Apollo show with their heroes David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick was full circle for them; there was nowhere left to go. Cut to now, they've had a huge career resurgence, they're respected by their peers and younger musicians, Live from Daryl's House is a success, they're being inducted into the Hall of Fame, and they're still the most successful duo ever. So how exactly did taking time off hurt them?

And their ability to cross over is astounding. For example (from Wikipedia):

The song "Out of Touch" was a #1 pop hit, and charted in several other areas (#24 Hot Black Singles, #8 on the Adult Contemporary charts, and #1 on the dance charts).

Look, I like Deep Purple too but the appeal of Hall & Oates is universal. They cannot be denied.

Now I am REALLY pissed... Here are the results of the fans" voting:

KISS (17.2%),

Nirvana (15.7%)

Deep Purple (11.9%)

Yes (10.9%)

Hall and Oates (8.1%)

Really? Ronstadt, Cat, and Gabriel did not even place above Hall and Oates?

This comment was not meant to diss Hall and Oates. I Just find it interesting that the board of a-holes, or whoever votes the inductees in, decided to forego the fans' #3 and #4 picks (who happen to be British rock and prog bands, by the way), and elevate Cat Stevens and Linda Ronstadt above them. Gabriel got in with Genesis. And as much of a fan I am of his, his solo work does not rise above the amazing impact and longevity of Deep Purple and Yes.

Personally, Just want to see Ian Gillan and Richie Blackmore get into it onstage. Doubt that they would even show up.

And this may be the real reason Deep Purple has not been chosen. We all know that this is all about marketing and putting on a show. What type of show would they have if the band does not show up?

So screw you, Jan whatever your name is... DP, Chicago, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Three Dog Night, and all the other great artists you diss will not even grace the bullshit stage of marketing your so called HOF stands for.

(Can you tell I'm bitter?)

I'm torn on Gabrial...didn't care for most of his solo stuff, and if we're talking Genesis, then it would be Genesis. Ronstadt is outside the genre, IMHO, but certainly respectable. Cat...well...I grew up with him, but I just don't see him meeting the criteria in any way.

On the contrary I love everything Gabriel has done except with an orchestra - so it's about time he was in.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived