Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: About the only thing I'd run through a Roland KC amp

OB Dave

I was going through some old photos and found this one from NAMM a few years ago and had to laugh out loud.

It's quite a ringing endorsement: Roland JC120 - Not Worth Miking

http://www.oceanbeach.com/temp/JC120_not_worth_miking.JPG

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My roommate's JC120 was the first amp I used for my Rhodes, back in 1978. I loved the slow stereo chorus, and have been using that or something similar ever since. It was a great amp for some things, and a terrible amp for others.

I remember seeing King Crimson's Discipline tour, in a tiny venue where they took over the dance floor for the stage. The dance floor was surrounded by 3 balconies, so everyone had a front row seat. Adrian Belew had 4 or 5 JC120's scattered all across the stage, and he was an unchained monster. It sounded fantastic.

Still, it's a funny pic. If the JC were a louder amp, it could be interpreted to say "This amp is so loud it doesn't need a mic." But that's not the case.

Maybe they had 5 of them, like Adrian! ;)

there is a line out in the back of the amp that was surely being used. It is a funny photo though.

And it´s cool to amplify FX only because it has a stereo/mono return as well as the stereo/mono line outs.

line ins & outs

IIRC, the internal stereo chorus sounded s##t in mono.

With the stereo line outs and a guitar rig using the right pedal board configuration, the guitar player is able to listen to his FX and the chorus in stereo on stage (this is a 2x60W stereo-amp!) while this signal is been sent to FOH separately,- stereo or mono, depending on DI-box configuration and FOH needs.

A.C.

Always loved the sound of the JC120 on rhodes.

For pads and some synth lines, it also sounded good w/ the Prophet 5.

The chorus is noisy but has it´s special sound.

The BOSS CE-1 Chorus Ensemble stomp box uses the JC 120 Chorus/Vibrato assembly.

A.C.

The chorus is noisy but has it´s special sound.

The BOSS CE-1 Chorus Ensemble stomp box uses the JC 120 Chorus/Vibrato assembly.

:thu:

Yep. It's a little bit of magic. Juno 60 has it as well. I think they modified it for the 106.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the early Junos.

Archived