Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the best KB amp

rickzjamm

I thought the question was "what is the best KEYBOARD AMP?".

:facepalm:

Yup. If you want to go strictly by the literal meaning, then...

Keyboard amps don't have the sonic refinements that powered speakers do. Unless you are looking for the amp to impart a particular quality to your sound, like a Leslie does for a Hammond organ, it is preferred that a speaker system adds no coloration at all. Of course, studio monitors come closer to meeting this criteria than any live sound reinforcement speaker. But studio monitors aren't designed to project the sound for any considerable distance or endure the punishment that live sound reinforcement speakers do night after night.

I've heard Motion Sound keyboard amps. They sound fine for many synth-related sounds. However, I don't think anyone on this forum will tell you that they compare favorably to powered speaker offerings in tonal neutrality.

The acid test being, of course, acoustic piano sounds.

If you want to argue that keyboards have a stereo output that is essential for certain keyboard sounds, I will ask that you search the forum. Although many of us prefer to hear our keyboards in stereo, the opinion of many, if not most of the professionals here, is that if you are sending a signal to FOH, mono is preferred.

So if you're dead-set on buying a stereo keyboard amp, get the Motion Sound (with its short 90-day warranty on its speaker, horn, or diaphram) or a K4 (which is a compromise because it sums your stereo signal into one 12" woofer.)

However, if you're after the most accurate-sounding, lightest-weight, cost-effective solution for reproducing modern keyboards, it's not going to be an all-in-one MotionSound or Traynor K4 keyboard amplifier.

So, to answer your question, chas:

..it doesn't take a lot of research to conclude that in 2013 there is no best keyboard amp.

From the many offerings on the market, it's simple to buy one or two (your choice) powered speakers instead.

Tom

This is why we can't have good discussions about keyboard amps. There ARE people on this forum who believe in keyboard amps, and they have good results with them. Then there are people who want to speak on behalf of the entire forum and make baseless and generalized statements that dismiss ALL keyboard amps. Tom's comments amount to a steaming pile of crap.

First, who on earth made it a rule not to have amplification that adds color to the sound? You? There is no such commandment from on high. In fact, it is the personality that amps bring that make them so valued by guitarists, and this keyboard player. If I want to turn up the EQ on my synth, organ or acoustic piano, or if I just prefer the way my keys sound through an amp instead of powered speakers, that is certainly my right.

The neodymium bass speakers of the MS KP-500sn provide acoustic piano clarity and realism that is better than my own JBL EON's, but that's just my personal opinion. It would be stupid to generalize and slam other people who prefer powered speakers just because I choose something different.

There are people who use keyboard amps and their opinion is just as valid as yours, Tom. And yea, there are good keyboard amps to be had. Powered speakers are not the only option, except for those with limited insight and broad opinions.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There ARE people on this forum who believe in keyboard amps, and they have good results with them. ... Powered speakers are not the only option, except for those with limited insight and broad opinions.

Before I had the KP500SN I had several powered speakers varying from soso to very good.

My main problem with powered speakers was that I was always fighting the height and position to hit the sweet stereo spot from a players perspective. I found myself placed within the range of one more closely or different angled than the other quite frequently.Do to the size/purpose of the location.

The result was far less than the ideal ''right in the middle'' not to near not to far of that beauitifull true stereo spread.

The great thing for me of the KP500SN (or any good stereo keyboard amp)is that it doesn't really matter any more as long as it is a couple of feet away on more or less ear height.

Tom's comments amount to a steaming pile of crap.

Easy, "...the artist formerly known as "The Pro"..."

You're getting personal and I hardly know ya! At least buy me dinner first! :laugh:

And as a matter of fact, I think we're having a great debate about keyboard amps. :thu:

In fact, it is the personality that amps bring that make them so valued by guitarists...

Jim, it brings me pleasure to tell you, "You are exactly right!"

But that's a guitar amp for a guitarist. :rolleyes:

Everybody knows they are supposed to add their unique color to the sound. That's one reason tubes are so prized for use in guitar amps. It's the total package - the right guitar matched to the right guitar amplifier that make the tone - for the guitarist. Not for the keyboard player.

A speaker system that is required to produce the great variety of sounds offered up by today's keyboards should not impart a sound of its own. This should come from the keyboard itself, or effects put in the signal chain prior to the power amplifiers and speakers.

I didn't just make this stuff up, Esh. Ask somebody older that you trust. An experienced pro musician will let you in on this... and lots more!! ;)

If it tickles your fancy, you can change the EQ on your keyboard amp, Jim. And although it may sound great to you, it may or may not make it sound better FOH.

But you knew this. Right Esh?

Oh, and it doesn't matter if the magnet on your speaker is neodymium, Alnico, or ferrite - it's the final sound that counts. So there's no need to tell us your speaker uses neodymium magnets unless you want to excuse why the amp weighs 55 pounds, but could be heavier if the magnet material was something other. :laugh:

It would be stupid to generalize and slam other people who prefer powered speakers just because I choose something different.

Oh yes. Yes it would - be stupid to slam people who prefer powered speakers. But that's not what I am doing! Izzit Esh? :)

Powered speakers are not the only option, except for those with limited insight and broad opinions.

Esh, are you including just me here or do you want to invite everyone on the forum to your party? I guess we all have limited insight and broad opinions here - well, those of us who use powered speakers. :)

Brother Esh. You are so much fun... and predictable!

Can I buy you a beer? :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you are just going to slice up comments to suit your generalized statements, that's just further showing how little of a debate you can engage in.

Why do I need to check with "an older experienced pro musician" about how, when or where to apply tonality to MY rig? Whether you can admit it or not, pro musicians like me are using keyboard amps. We don't have to follow your signal chain to get good results. The right combination of amps and instruments is not something confined to just guitarists... for God's sake the past four decades of famous keyboardists have used many combinations of keyboards, amps, speakers and effects to achieve a wide variety of sounds... not just powered speakers.

What you do with your rig is your business, but it doesn't give you the grounds to put down an entire class of amplification or the people who use them. Or to be patronizing to someone who rightly points that out. If you read the posts on this thread alone you'll read comments from several people who use kb amps instead of powered speakers... maybe you should buy them a beer too.

I've owned a lot of gear, including a variety of keyboard amps and powered speakers, but haven't had one of the Motion Sound K... series models. I did attempt a KBR-3D once.. Intriguing concept, and it sounded quite good. But I remember having a rather strange debate with John Fisher regarding the lack of a separate, cabinet level only volume control. The guy's a brilliant engineer, but I don't think he quite understood the practical issue of stage level vs. FOH level that I was trying to address..

I liked my Traynor K4; it's fine if the cabinet provides the option of sound coloration. And that tube channel was awesome for clonewheels. My issue with keyboard amps, in general, is that the mixing controls are mounted on the cabinet. Being that I have to ride my stage level most of the time, leaning over to tweak the panel got old - real quick. And looking like Igor hunched over does nothing for the stage image.. So a separate, mixing unit that is within the player's dashboard is essential for me. If the K4 had been built with the mixing section as a removable module, I'd still have it.

Keyboard cabinets with built-in mixers, AKA - keyboard amps are fine, and so are powered speakers like the QSC K series, etc.. It comes down to the application, and player preference. Getting our undies in a bunch over the differences in keyboard monitoring is kind of like the boxers / briefs debate from awhile back; but the 'free and easy bottom' option isn't as much fun with stage gear :crazy:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Roland SA300 and SA1000.

SA300. I have 2 of them, sometimes use them as duo front of house, sometimes as a stage monitor with the band - I run my piano, my miked leslie through it and use the xlr outs to the FOH. They sound great and are light and versatile.

Yup. If you want to go strictly by the literal meaning, then...

that leaves very few single, standalone units that can process and produce or simulate a stereo sound.

Oooops! :o:)

In my experience, people often state what they want in a sentence or two, but when pressed to describe their needs, they realize that the best solution may be one they haven't considered. It would be a disservice to ignore offerings that sound better, are less expensive, and weigh less when offering a solution.

Don't you think, chas?

Keyboard amps don't have the sonic refinements that powered speakers do. Unless you are looking for the amp to impart a particular quality to your sound, like a Leslie does for a Hammond organ, it is preferred that a speaker system adds no coloration at all. Of course, studio monitors come closer to meeting this criteria than any live sound reinforcement speaker. But studio monitors aren't designed to project the sound for any considerable distance or endure the punishment that live sound reinforcement speakers do night after night.

I've heard Motion Sound keyboard amps. They sound fine for many synth-related sounds. However, I don't think anyone on this forum will tell you that they compare favorably to powered speaker offerings in tonal neutrality.

The acid test being, of course, acoustic piano sounds.

If you want to argue that keyboards have a stereo output that is essential for certain keyboard sounds, I will ask that you search the forum. Although many of us prefer to hear our keyboards in stereo, the opinion of many, if not most of the professionals here, is that if you are sending a signal to FOH, mono is preferred.

So if you're dead-set on buying a stereo keyboard amp, get the Motion Sound (with its short 90-day warranty on its speaker, horn, or diaphram) or a K4 (which is a compromise because it sums your stereo signal into one 12" woofer.)

However, if you're after the most accurate-sounding, lightest-weight, cost-effective solution for reproducing modern keyboards, it's not going to be an all-in-one MotionSound or Traynor K4 keyboard amplifier.

So, to answer your question, chas:

..it doesn't take a lot of research to conclude that in 2013 there is no best keyboard amp.

From the many offerings on the market, it's simple to buy one or two (your choice) powered speakers instead.

Tom

No disrespect but, I chose not to lend my own interpretation of what the OP meant. I just gave my opinion based on the question asked. The question wasn't 'what is the best way to amp my keyboard?'. I think it's kind of paternalistic to try to rephrase the OP's question into what we think it SHOULD have been. Maybe he just wanted to know 'WHAT IS THE BEST KB AMP'.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

:rolleyes:

Esh, let me tell you something. The reason I copy/paste quotes is so I do not misrepresent what you actually said.

Nor can you deny that you said it.

Look, here's one now:

Why do I need to check with "an older experienced pro musician" about how, when or where to apply tonality to MY rig?

Esh, here is exactly what I wrote:

A speaker system that is required to produce the great variety of sounds offered up by today's keyboards should not impart a sound of its own. This should come from the keyboard itself, or effects put in the signal chain prior to the power amplifiers and speakers.

Honestly, Esh. You know that you aren't stepping on my toes if you decide you must boost the treble or cut the midrange in your Motion Sound amp because it's not giving you an accurate representation of what the sound designer had in mind.

And it's OK if you don't want to take my word for it.

Really it is.

I am certain there are professionals here who can tell us how they determine if a speaker system fits their needs and whether or not they care about accuracy. These are guys that don't need to remind us that they are pros (or former pros) in their signature line. ;)

Wait. Lookout. Here comes another pesky quote...

What you do with your rig is your business, but it doesn't give you the grounds to put down an entire class of amplification or the people who use them. Or to be patronizing to someone who rightly points that out. If you read the posts on this thread alone you'll read comments from several people who use kb amps instead of powered speakers... maybe you should buy them a beer too.

Goodness! You should have quoted me, Esh! When did I ever "put down an entire class of amplification or the people who use them"?

I have utmost respect for our friends on the forum. I'd love to meet them, buy them a beer and listen to them tell me about their equipment and why they chose it. Ask any of the guys at the meetups we've had in Richmond. It's great fun. :thu:

However, there are a few guys, like yourself, who have opinions that I disagree with. That's OK, isn't it Esh? I mean, this is a forum where people are allowed to express an opinion that just might be a little different from yours. Right?

Sometimes I don't think you think so. And this is what makes you predictable:

Someone will post a thread like this and I will bet dollars to donuts that you will be one of the first to chime in.

So, of course, I have to come behind you, clean up your mess, and set the record straight.

I guess that makes me predictable too. :)

Because we have history, Esh.

I would never launch a personal attack on you, or anyone else on this forum for choosing the equipment that meets their particular needs. Nope... Not my style.

But when you post your opinion it's only fair that I post one of my own.

For example:

It's especially good at reproducing acoustic piano tones without muddying up the bass.

That's your opinion.

The thread needed my opinion - to counter yours.

That's OK, isn't it?

So, I think it would be great if, since I let you have your say, you would allow me to voice mine too without getting so... nervous.

Heck, you made Lonnie so frustrated the he went out back to beat his...

Horse.

:deadhorse:

It's all good, Esh. Believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for you.

I just don't always agree with you.

...and I kinda enjoy telling you so. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I don't need to be in the running for, like, a PhD in this area, so this is just maybe to play the jan-head to possibly ease some people up, or to please myself with sharing some of the research I did do on these types of subjects.

Of course the main debate is about the addition of "something" to the sound that synths/keyboards make. Now I didn't play hundreds of different live stages with pro PA's. I've listened to more than a few, of course, and also I've listened to some of the older and newer keyboard amps setups out there, and played some myself. Honestly that isn't needed to add another dimension to the problem, namely: apart from adding something to the sound, and what, can it reproduce all sounds you want to sound through it, and how well does it do most things ?

So, you want a tube amp sound to come from your KBA, and maybe it should in addition to that imitate or pass through a Leslie as well ? You want it to sound warm like a big cabinet on a Les Paul playing warmly distorted jazz chords ? You want it to scream like a Marshall stack or even a high gain solo guitar amp at at least a few hundred watts during you Moog solo ? You want it to take the edge of of those sterile sounding digital piano samples, and give you a Boutique Bouquet background spread sound when you want that, as well ? Fine, that might be achievable (I wouldn't like to try, make it portable and let you other sound layers sound good at the same time, but anyhow, may be doable).

In practice, there are some "other" factors that play a role, one main one being the same as the (often low-dynamic range) guitar players know too: does it work as an effect on multiple volumes, like can I get the screaming solo sound in a small bar as well as on the Grand Cafe patio ?

Also, most interesting instruments have a component which works with the Equal Loudness Curve perception of human listeners, which means there's something hidden in the sound that makes it sound somewhat warm, and at the same time intelligible at low volumes (or far away from the stage in a non-rock concert), while it becomes more interesting and full at higher volumes. Combo amps often do stuff in that direction, within reason at various volumes and distances, as far as I know from moderately soft to medium loud.

Of course the sort of aimed at somewhat "HiFi" sound powered speakers (say the better ones, and maybe even the studio monitors able to act as monitors because of sufficient power) aim at a fair degree of neutrality, the bigger ones even have a serious enough "full range" ability (important with a lot of strong sound reproduction attempts, I mean those "low cut filter" fans will not "get" a lot of important keyboard/synth sounds right). However, they have flaws: most will distort severely at higher powers, even though the good ones will somewhat guard you from the "blowing peoples ears off" effect.

Also, unlike some good HiFi speakers and pro-grade monitors, they'll "bin" certain frequency ranges, and color certain frequency ranges in ways not specified in most measurements (unless you're trained to read those measurements), and in fact I have the impression that those type of light harmonizing effects are often what people search for, regardless of whether that right or wrong. And for normally advanced or experienced players it's extremely easy to hear the difference between a Hammond cabinet not driven beyond it's reasonable power rating, a piano cabinet in a nice room, etc on the one hand, and those eeky "new" powered speakers reproducing some faint memory of a grand piano at about ten times the dB level where the faults would a wee bit difficult to hear at least.

Which brings me to the main thing I want too add to the discussion: a lot of fun in keyboard amping (being digital piano, workstation, analog or digital synthesizers or organs and even some other electro-mechanical instruments comes from the idea of pushing (and pulling) an amount or power into the performance space, and often in the newer amping solutions the fact is that they have cut corners and made all kinds of designs in the area of doing this cleanly, even if that isn't directly obvious, and not specified.

A little experiment to thinkg about. You could take a nice, say, Bosendorfer piano in one room, take some great, warm, and close to neutral mikes, amplify the mike signals *analog* with a good mixer, put some powerfull amps and speakers in another room, and check out how loud you can (and want to, sound-wise) go until you hit the 100dB at the from row. Unless you use a strong PA system of the right kind (remember I'm talking about a full analog signal path here), with at least some big speakers/cabinets, and hopefully more than 2-way, there's no way you will be able to put Jerry Lee on the warm piano, get about 100 dB at the first row with some nice rock-bass lines and rolling chords, and still be able to stand the sound, unless you have a fairly low distorting analog signal path, a quite some power. Or it will either sound thin, or cut low seriously, or sound very unbalances, or your transients are suffering badly, etc, before much happens at all.

I mean that sort of power, but then with some proper effects in, and say powerful and apt compression added, that will then work with a loud pop or, even nice, rock band, doesn't come easily and will probably blow a normal sized fuse. So approaching that type of realism most likely will let you want to cut corners. You will have to ask yourself, how does a synth bass with the filter not turned down, comes rolling out a nice 12 incher with 500 Watts switched amp to drive, such that even a moderately sized bar can experience disco fever.

Of course a lot of practical keyboard amping testing can suffice by looking at the frequency range of the amp and speaker, the contious power (and the frequency response curve under power), preferably some distortion figures, and the amount of coloring that takes place. And then of course the effects that you look for, before it becomes normal what I thing only some of the more advanced keyboard manufacturers are working on: very neutral digital stuff where the actually desirable effects are dialed in per sound layer, and where there is a way to look at more complicated sound properties, and adjust those to the amps at hand. Very difficult subject, way beyond most instruments, except I know for sure to some extend, and with varying degrees of success with Yamaha, Kurzweil (it's mess though) and Lexicon (never a mess), I fear (as the expression goes) it's really not possible to go lower than delve into the difficult signal properties to get the science of keyboard amping right.

T.

To answer the original question: The best I've ever found is the Traynor K4. Unfortunately it's too heavy and bulky for daily regular use especially if you play small stages. Even so, it's the best of a disappointing lot. There aren't many choices in keyboard amps and they come with some serious limitations.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Not surprised that you are getting a million different answers to this question. The reality is that not only do personal tastes differ, but so do the keyboards that posters are running through their amps. Plus, of course, if a decent but inexpensive amp (or a hand-me-down) is all a keyboardists can afford right now, that person may swear it's the best thing going. Finally, some KB'ers play in loud bands so their amps may need to be heavy on the wattage to cut through, while others are playing clone wheels plus e-pianos through the same amps, and are trying to find an amp(s) that gives them the best out of what is essentially a compromise.

I have owned at least a dozen KB amps. My goal is to use an amp system that will really make my Hammond SK1 deliver the classic Hammond-Leslie sound (I do not play much piano tones at all).

My compromise is that while I know I should be running it thru a mechanical rotary speaker system (Leslie or MSound), I am limited in terms of the vehicle cargo space I have (I play two KBs, including left hand bass keys thru a large bass head/bass cab set-up, and I also own/operate/lug all the band's live sound gear, i.e., main speakers, monitors, PA head, stands, mics etc), plus I'm 64 years old with a bad back and simply can't deal with the weigh/size of those options.

I can go with 3 different KB amp set-ups for a gig, trying to emphasize the stereo capability of the SK1 with each. I NEVER play mono thru a single amp. To me, it sounds like crap.

1. Play stereo R&L channels through 2 Motion Sound KT-80s. Just 28 lbs each, 12" woofer with tweeter. Nice.

2. Play thru two Traynor K1s linked via their stereo linkage setup (which allows all tonal control from one amp, including panning). 35 lbs each, 10" woofer plus tweeter, built like brick houses.

3. Play stereo R&L channels thru a Groove Tubes SFX SpaceMaster Mark II, linking its woofer output connection with either a KT-80 or a K1. 32 lbs, compact, with an amazing whirling rotary effect.

I use Option #3 90% of the time. The rotary effect is just too good.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

:rolleyes:

Esh, let me tell you something. The reason I copy/paste quotes is so I do not misrepresent what you actually said.

Nor can you deny that you said it.

Look, here's one now:

Why do I need to check with "an older experienced pro musician" about how, when or where to apply tonality to MY rig?

Esh, here is exactly what I wrote:

Honestly, Esh. You know that you aren't stepping on my toes if you decide you must boost the treble or cut the midrange in your Motion Sound amp because it's not giving you an accurate representation of what the sound designer had in mind.

And it's OK if you don't want to take my word for it.

Really it is.

I am certain there are professionals here who can tell us how they determine if a speaker system fits their needs and whether or not they care about accuracy. These are guys that don't need to remind us that they are pros (or former pros) in their signature line. ;)

Wait. Lookout. Here comes another pesky quote...

Goodness! You should have quoted me, Esh! When did I ever "put down an entire class of amplification or the people who use them"?

I have utmost respect our friends on the forum. I'd love to meet them, buy them a beer and listen to them tell me about their equipment and why they chose it. Ask any of the guys at the meetups we've had in Richmond. It's great fun. :thu:

However, there are a few guys, like yourself, who have opinions that I disagree with. That's OK, isn't it Esh? I mean, this is a forum where people are allowed to express an opinion that just might be a little different from yours. Right?

Sometimes I don't think you think so. And this is what makes you predictable:

Someone will post a thread like this and I will bet dollars to donuts that you will be one of the first to chime in.

So, of course, I have to come behind you, clean up your mess, and set the record straight.

I guess that makes me predictable too. :)

Because we have history, Esh.

I would never launch a personal attack on you, or anyone else on this forum for choosing the equipment that meets their particular needs. Nope... Not my style.

But when you post your opinion it's only fair that I post one of my own.

For example:

It's especially good at reproducing acoustic piano tones without muddying up the bass.

That's your opinion.

The thread needed my opinion - to counter yours.

That's OK, isn't it?

So, I think it would be great if, since I let you have your say, you would allow me to voice mine too without getting so... nervous.

Heck, you made Lonnie so frustrated the he went out back to beat his...

Horse.

:deadhorse:

It's all good, Esh. Believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for you.

I just don't always agree with you.

...and I kinda enjoy telling you so. :cool:

Tom

Whale Oil Beef Hooked! , I can't see anything to upset anyone with your post's here Tom , sorry to see you have been taken the wrong way. All thumbs up from me.

Brett

Isn't the ev zlx12p heavier and bulkier than the yamaha dxr10 and 12?

ZLX 12P is 35lbs, DRX 10 32lbs, depends on whether it is worth paying an extra $250 to save 3lbs

and Yamaha claim 131 SPL cf. 126 SPL for ZLX

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I've been using a Barbetta Sona 31 for the past several years and it's been nothing but solid. Before that I was using a Yorkville Bloc 100K. The built-in spring reverb in that was a trip.

But as for the Barbetta, I love it. Loud and relatively light. I use it primarily for stage monitoring when I play out. Last time, I coupled it with my small Mackie mixer so I could run the mains from that to the board and then the aux to the Sona for the stage signal. Worked very nicely and the rest of the band could hear very well.

Not sure what the reviews are like on the newer Sona C series, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Barbetta amps.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

So, last year after reading for a couple years about how great it worked as a keyboard amp, I bought a JBL Eon15 G2 to replace the Roland KC-350 I'd been using for years - finally found a single g2, not a pair, on sale used locally on CL - and anyway it was true, I have been really happy with the sound, the power, reliability, and the ergonomics/features of the JBL. (Of course, now no one around here ever mentions them in these discussions, it's all QSC this and Yamaha that, but for a long time this was the favorite!) Anyway, it's seemed to me that it would be a great idea for JBL to sell these individually (as an alternative to in pairs) and re-brand/market them AS a keyboard amp, they seem to me to have pretty much the same features and can be used in the same way as the combo amps sold that way, but sound, work, and look better - it is like a hidden market right under their nose.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Garnermike: I played through and still have my Groovetubes SFX. The leslie sim in my PC3 sounded wonderful. But, the band went all IEMs and no floor monitors a while back; that is better even if it is not stereo. I don't carry an amp now. So, my vote is for no-amp, keyboard straight to the PA, IEMs.

Kurzweil PC4

Which comments, specifically, do you not agree with?

Instead of simply calling my comments a steaming pile of crap and slinking out the back door, tell me which comments you would like to address.

Be sure to support your claims. :idea:

Tom

There are people who use keyboard amps and their opinion is just as valid as yours, Tom.

Indeed. :thu:

Haha, this thread is getting good!

So, last year after reading for a couple years about how great it worked as a keyboard amp, I bought a JBL Eon15 G2 to replace the Roland KC-350 I'd been using for years - finally found a single g2, not a pair, on sale used locally on CL - and anyway it was true, I have been really happy with the sound, the power, reliability, and the ergonomics/features of the JBL. (Of course, now no one around here ever mentions them in these discussions, it's all QSC this and Yamaha that, but for a long time this was the favorite!) Anyway, it's seemed to me that it would be a great idea for JBL to sell these individually (as an alternative to in pairs) and re-brand/market them AS a keyboard amp, they seem to me to have pretty much the same features and can be used in the same way as the combo amps sold that way, but sound, work, and look better - it is like a hidden market right under their nose.

AFAIK, the Eons were available singly all along (new, that is). I agree, they were really good, especially the G2's! When I was shopping, I demoed one next to a KC350, and of course the Eon kicked the KC350's butt. I ended up buying two Eons, but only using one for a keyboard amp... eventually they got integrated into a PA and have used and ABUSED them for years, without a single malfunction. I LOVE the Eons!

However, I have to disagree with you about the ergonomics. I'm pretty sure the Eons are directly responsible for my damaged rotator cuff (shoulder injury). Every once in a while, a bandleader asks me if we can use them as a DIY PA, and I say "yes, on one condition: I don't have to touch them!" ;)

And although the Eon sounded superior to the KC350, its sound wasn't perfect. I hated the way piano patches sounded through them-- piercing! The newer generations of powered speakers sound much better, and are so much lighter.

Which comments, specifically, do you not agree with?

Instead of simply calling my comments a steaming pile of crap and slinking out the back door, tell me which comments you would like to address.

Be sure to support your claims. :idea:

Tom

There are people who use keyboard amps and their opinion is just as valid as yours, Tom.

Indeed. :thu:

Whoops, hold up Tom! Sorry for the confusion.

I was merely pointing out that "The Pro" could be hoisted with his own petard, because of his previous assertion that your comments were, as quoted, "a steaming pile of crap". He then states that his opinion is just as valid, and there you go, Quid Erat Demonstrandum. :cool:

Given that my rig is comprised of one (or two, for larger stages, in series) QSC K10 powered speakers, I'm on your side here. :thu:

Did that for a while, too. The whole band (drummer was using Roland V-drums) went through a Roland digital recorder which also acted as our main mixer. Wraparound headphones for our in-ear mix. Cleanest shows we ever performed *and* everything was digitally recorded for posterity.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

It all depends on the music you are playing. Jon Lord used a old crappy Marshall PA for his keys. The music required it.

I have played most keyboard amps and powered monitors out there. My music requires clean, EVEN and ACCURATE sound reproduction from all voluble leaves. That usually translates to a powered PA monitor.

My personal favorites are the EV's...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Given that my rig is comprised of one (or two, for larger stages, in series) QSC K10 powered speakers, I'm on your side here. :thu:

:)

No worries, Sven. I'm just trying to support my opinion.

Frankly, I would love to see an accurate-sounding, lightweight keyboard amp on the market. It truly is a good solution for many.

However, I've never heard a keyboard amp that I feel is as accurate as some powered speakers.

I bought a JBL EON 15PAK when they were introduced and used it (just one) for years. I played a lot of gigs using that as my monitor and sending my signal to FOH. It worked very well for me.

But there are better-sounding solutions on the market in 2013. And this is why I keep posting on this thread.

Of course I understand (Lonnie) that it may seem as if we're beating a dead horse. But I'm not going to dismiss the question. Because...

Things change with new technology. Opinions change (quickly, it seems). This is why it is so important for everyone on the forum to stay updated and listen to what folks who are actively gigging - like Jim Alfredson, Dave Ferris, BluesKeys and many others - have to say on the topic.

Modern keyboards sound great through headphones. But often, they don't meet our expectations when used with various keyboard amps, powered speakers, and PA systems. These are currently the weakest links in the chain.

We all have to face compromises. For me, and a lot of folks, this comes down to budget.

So, given that a powered speaker offers the most accurate solution for modern keyboards - that are capable of producing the sounds of an orchestra, instead of buying a keyboard amp, if money is tight, buy one powered speaker now, and another later if you want/need it.

Again - for guys who use keyboard amps, if it works well for you under your circumstances - I'm not about to say you're wrong.

Tom

My sales rep at Sweetwater once made the remark that he thought KB players started turning away from keyboard amps in earnest with the advent of inexpensive studio monitors. His theory was that when many of us finally heard out boards through a Mackie, Event or KRK home studio monitor, we realized what all the patches on our boards could really sound like versus what our KC300 made them sound like. He realized any generalized comment like that would have as many exceptions as not, but I found the comment interesting because it's almost exactly what my experience was.

Archived