Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about purchasing mox or moxf

Jasonbass32

Due to some issues with my fantom x6, I am seriously considering purchasing a new board. Thinking about switching to yamaha mox6 or moxf6. My fantom is expanded with srx 07 and 03. What do you guys think? What will be in the pros and cons of this? My other option is to purchase a used fantom? I am not big on used gear I can't test out first. I checked out the Juno and IMO the yamahas were better. Also, I do a lot of sequencing

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I can't comment on Fantom vs MOX specifics, although you'll find a lot of MOX fans here, including me.

I've made a half dozen MOX6 video demos that you may find interesting. The videos are here:

The audio was recorded directly into my iMac, without using a mic, so hopefully you can really get a sense of what the MOX sounds like.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

afaik, the MOX has no Flash Card capability (the MOXF does), so no you cannot unless the 3rd party sounds you are loading (to the MOX)require no flash sample data, and use the existing onboard ROM sample data.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I've had a Fantom X8 and now have both a MOXF6 and a MOX6. There are trade-offs. Creating/layering with the Fantom is simple. The MOX(F) user interface isn't intuitive at all. However, the editors and librarian software sold by John Melas easily remedy that. That being said, when I need a patch from the 80s, I have it all covered with the MOX as there are some excellent sound libraries available. When I need to do a current song, I turn to my Jupiter 80 because it's as easy as the Fantom to create layers, etc. However, if you want any kind of 3rd party support (patches or librarian), don't even consider a Jupiter. Roland seems to have abandoned it along with the Fantom G.

The piano on the Yamaha sounds much better than Roland.

My Fantom X8 was a back-breaker. Carrying 65 lbs to gigs got old quick. The MOX6/8 are very light.

The Fantom is easier for multi-track recording. Doesn't bother me as I use a DAW for my recording.

Any limitation I have run into on the MOX (for me) has been addressed in the MOXF. I ran into the 128 note polyphony issue on a couple of patches where I use an arpeggio and split the keyboard with another sound. I also missed the fact that I could not load samples.

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOXF6, Nektar Impact LX61, Macbook Air

Thanks for the responses

To blog5150. Can those after-market 80s sound be added to the mox6 or just the moxf 6? Is the moxf worth the extra money?

One of my concerns, based upon what I have heard, is that sequencing on the yamaha is harder. Sound like that librarian solves that issue to some degree.

Not really Jason...the Melas tools are really only for editing the various modes - Song, Perf Master...it has no sequencer.

For sequencing you are far better off using your PC - even the Motifs were a hassle to use the on-board sequencer imo..others find it easy, I only ever thought it was awkward at best.

You can load MOX libraries on the MOXF. I would pay the extra money for the MOXF (and I did) just to get the sound engine of the Motif XF. To sweeten the deal, Yamaha is giving you the Motif Premium Collection for free when you buy a MOXF which includes a flash board! Some vendors actually ship it with your keyboard and save you the trouble of mailing in a form, etc.

http://usa.yamaha.com/about_yamaha/corporate_information/product_rebates_and_promotions/motif_collection_promo/

Also, I'm sure that every MOX owner here will tell you that the John Melas tools are worth every penny. If you get a MOXF - be sure to also get the Melas Waveform Editor to make dealing with the flash board easier.

*** Jeez - I'm starting to sound like a Yamaha salesman.

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOXF6, Nektar Impact LX61, Macbook Air

I just upgraded from MOX6 to MOXF6. The question of whether the price difference (roughly $400 at current best prices) is worth it depends on your use. Here is a good comparison:

Clonk

The biggies are:

- the flash ROM

- double the internal ROM

- double the polyphony

- 8 insert effects instead of 3

The last two are primarily an issue for studio use (although I hit the 3 insert effect limit on a few of my live song setups)

On the new internal ROM, the new piano is nice but not essential. The clavs were much better and there were some nice new horn and string samples.

I would say if you are using it live, the value of spending another $400 is debatable. For overall live and studio use, the upgrade is worth it.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I can't comment on Fantom vs MOX specifics, although you'll find a lot of MOX fans here, including me.

I've made a half dozen MOX6 video demos that you may find interesting. The videos are here:

The audio was recorded directly into my iMac, without using a mic, so hopefully you can really get a sense of what the MOX sounds like.

Sorry to veer off topic, I watched your videos. how are you recording the video? You explained the audio routing, they look very good!

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Not being a musician, just an amateur who likes electronic music, I had to recently make a decision like you to buy MOX6 or MOXF6. In my case there were three factors that made the difference: sound engine of Motif XF in MOXF vs XS in MOX, the most important for me aspect - ability to add sounds with a Flash Board, and the last one free 512 MB Memory Board that Yamaha is giving away now. I paid $952 for a new MOXF6, so the free Memory Board, which otherwise costs $150, made MOXF6 look more attractive. Good luck with your decision.

Since it is my first post here, I would like to extend big thanks to all of you posters who share your views and knowledge, as it helped me to make my choice.

Good point on the flash board promotion. $952 is a great price. At that price point I would definitely go MOXF6. I got mine for $1020.

My earlier analysis was based on $800 for MOX6 and $1200 for MOXF6.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Thanks for the responses

To blog5150. Can those after-market 80s sound be added to the mox6 or just the moxf 6? Is the moxf worth the extra money?

One of my concerns, based upon what I have heard, is that sequencing on the yamaha is harder. Sound like that librarian solves that issue to some degree.

MOX/F comes with a Cubase DVD and integrates into it pretty nicely.

I can't imagine why would anyone try to sequence on a workstation these days. It's like drinking hot coke. frustrating..

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I know the MOX/F series doesn't have aftertouch, but do the voices respond to aftertouch from an external MIDI source, like, um a PC361?

Seriously twinged my back loading out the NS2 last night, which has got me thinking...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I know the MOX/F series doesn't have aftertouch, but do the voices respond to aftertouch from an external MIDI source, like, um a PC361?

Seriously twinged my back loading out the NS2 last night, which has got me thinking...

Bummer about your back. Hope you recover quickly.

Yes, both the MOX and MOXF respond to aftertouch.

www.stickmanor.com

To the OP, I think I'd go with a MOXF. The 128 note polyphony will be similar to your fantom, and I think the flash card ability and 8 insert effects would future proof the machine somewhat, making the extra cost worth it.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Due to some issues with my fantom x6, I am seriously considering purchasing a new board. Thinking about switching to yamaha mox6 or moxf6. My fantom is expanded with srx 07 and 03. What do you guys think? What will be in the pros and cons of this? My other option is to purchase a used fantom? I am not big on used gear I can't test out first. I checked out the Juno and IMO the yamahas were better. Also, I do a lot of sequencing

Thanks.

Get the new MOXF. The increased polyphony (128 vs 64) could be a huge advantage.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks for the responses. I have ruled out the mox6, I am convinced that the moxf is the better choice. That however, reduces my sense of urgency a bit as the moxf is the current model. Used my backup plan this weekend and it worked better than expected. I triggered my sequences from my ipad connected to an akai synthstation. Used ik sample tank on the iPad to play a few of the live parts. Not the best but got me by. Couldn't do a few songs we do. Fantom x6 is going to the shop tommorrow. $90 to bench test it. Bass upon my research, It may just be the real time controls need replaced. Also, a local store has a bstock fantom g6. Owner is meeting with roland rep today to see what price they can do for me. If those options don't work out, I will purchase the moxf 6. Thanks.

Archived