Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do I buy? Please help!!

Behrooz

I'm a relatively beginner piano player and don't have much experience.I will mostly be using the keyboard to play jazz and Funk.

I need to buy an 88 key hammer action keyboard with a large variety of sounds that are suitable for jazz. My budget is around $1000. Could anyone tell me what I should take into consideration? Any suggestions?

I have checked out the Korg Kross 88, Casio Privia PX-5s and kurzweil PC3 LE8.

I would prefer buying the korg kross 88 since it is also a workstation and it is cheaper than the kurzweil. But I read somewhere that Korgs are used for rock and the sounds are more suited for rock however i'm not sure if that is true. I would really appreciate it if you could help me out and give me some more options to look at.

Thank you so much

Behrooz

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Korg would be fine. If you think you'll use the workstation features, then its you best option. The Korg will have a wide variety of sounds, they aren't focused on any one genre of music. Korg's are very modern sounding and are particualry good at synth stuff.

The think you must do is sit down and audition all the models you are interested in. Internet research can only take you so far. If you are truly a beginner, any of them will do ya! Good luck

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

I read somewhere that Korgs are used for rock and the sounds are more suited for rock however i'm not sure if that is true.

Not true. Workstations (like the Kross) offer a wide variety of sounds be they from Korg, Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweil... etc.

Can you identify the kinds of sound you need? You'll probably find it's a dozen or so.

That will definitely help you receive better recommendations.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

a large variety of sounds that are suitable for jazz.

As others have stated, if you clarify this statement (remember, we're not mind readers, as good as we are ;) ), you'll get much better suggestions.

Also, you have cited 3 boards that have no built-in speakers; what situation are you planning on using this instrument in, and have you budgeted for amplification? Stand? Cables? Bench? Carrying case?

O/T @Sven - your sig, "madman with a box" - is it a squeezebox? I seem to remember you mentioning accordian.

Doctor Who reference. Any one with a Tardis as their av is alright with me.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

A point directed at a beginner piano player that doesn't get said enough:

Sounds are only a tiny part of the equation.

In the final analysis, provided that you are happy with the keybed / action, unless you are into electronica pretty much any of the midrange+ workstations / stage pianos that have come out in the last ten years can do a great job with acoustic pianos / EPs / clavinet sounds that you'll need for jazz and funk.

Doing the research about the 'best board' is much easier than actually developing the chops. And I am not trying to condescend or talk down to you - I am completely guilty of this myself. I spend tons of time reading about the latest and greatest when I could probably get tons more mileage from my existing equipment by improving my voicings and learning some new riffs and rhtyhm techniques.

A real pro will make even a cheap old keyboard with crappy sounds rock.

Good luck with your choice and your musical journey.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

"beginner playing jazz and funk"

Really?

Because, in my experience, those are not beginner pursuits. But, good luck!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived