Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The greatest two guitar rock band in history

Sharkman

I remember seeing Stryper open for someband, and knew that there was talent there. A few years later a buddy of mine went on to be a touring musician with one of their ex members and told me how the guy was great at every instrument, bass, guitar, keys, drums and some brass too, like good to the point if that was your instrument you were scared he just out played you with out ever trying. I will see if Rusty is in town for the holidays and ask more about it.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoever said the Stones or the Allman Bros :thu: but there's another one that comes to mind also. That Strat/SG combo of BTO wasn't too shabby either :rawk:
I see you've been takin' care of bizness and working OT!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Little Feat, Lowell George on slide and weaving lines in and out of Paul Barrere's picking.

Los Lobos, with Cesar Rosas and David Hidalgo playing just about every style of guitar ranging from blues to rock to mariachi.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I remember seeing Stryper open for someband, and knew that there was talent there. A few years later a buddy of mine went on to be a touring musician with one of their ex members and told me how the guy was great at every instrument, bass, guitar, keys, drums and some brass too, like good to the point if that was your instrument you were scared he just out played you with out ever trying. I will see if Rusty is in town for the holidays and ask more about it.

Lok

Cool

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

In a "classic movie" forum I belong to, there's always arguments based on the idea of the "best" anything. Best according to WHOM? Over there we agreed to voice our opinions based on Guitarzan's notion of "favorite".

"Greatest" could have many interpretations. Recording sales, concert attendance, output, level of fame, etc. So it can be pretty ambiguous. So it's "best" to ingnore any "best" lists altogether.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

In a "classic movie" forum I belong to, there's always arguments based on the idea of the "best" anything. Best according to WHOM? Over there we agreed to voice our opinions based on Guitarzan's notion of "favorite".

"Greatest" could have many interpretations. Recording sales, concert attendance, output, level of fame, etc. So it can be pretty ambiguous. So it's "best" to ingnore any "best" lists altogether.

Whitefang

+1, it's just a pile of 2 cents worth. Still, it's fun to discuss our version of two guitar fun.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Whitefang

Except in the case of the Beatles, who were clearly the best of the best. But, yeah, all else is just opinion.

(LOL)

Scott Fraser

Did anyone mention the Ventures in all of this?

Whitefang

Yes, go back to my 12/12/13 post...I mentioned several others too (including the Beatles)...sadly, I did leave out The Marshall Tucker Band. :cry:

Take care, Larryz

Whitefang

Yes, go back to my 12/12/13 post...I mentioned several others too (including the Beatles)...sadly, I did leave out The Marshal Tucker Band. :cry:

:thu: Marshall Tucker

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Whitefang

Yes, go back to my 12/12/13 post...I mentioned several others too (including the Beatles)...sadly, I did leave out The Marshall Tucker Band. :cry:

Thanks. So many were brought up and I didn't feel like going through five pages of thread to find out.

But since most rock bands have two guitarists in them, wouldn't this list be REALLY long? Like I recall I earlier inquired if the term "two guitar band" meant that the band had TWO guitarists that did leads? That would wittle down the list a bit.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Whitefang

Thanks. So many were brought up and I didn't feel like going through five pages of thread to find out.

But since most rock bands have two guitarists in them, wouldn't this list be REALLY long? Like I recall I earlier inquired if the term "two guitar band" meant that the band had TWO guitarists that did leads? That would wittle down the list a bit.

Whitefang

Duel leads are definitely cool (the Eagles are famous for this kind of sound). For me, it's more about the 1 guitar power trio vs the 2 guitar 4 piece garage bands. Where would the Ventures (CCR, Stones, Beatles, Marshall Tucker, etc.,) have been without the rhythm guitar? I love hearing SRV and Beck and with that much talent, power trios do sound good too...I just like having a rhythm guitar in the band. My 2 cents. I can't pick the best or the greatest 2 guitar band in history, even if the list is whittled down a bit.

Take care, Larryz

"Greatest" could have many interpretations. Recording sales, concert attendance, output, level of fame, etc. So it can be pretty ambiguous. So it's "best" to ignore any "best" lists altogether.

Whitefang

It's actually pretty simple, if I like it, it's good, if I love it, it's the best. If I don't like it, it sucks, the songwriter disappeared and all mention of him be expunged from history, the band should be bound and cast into a pit , all its fans neutered, and all copies of the song should be burned, buried, and the ground salted. Strong opinions? I got 'em.

Back to the matter at hand, for two guitars, how about Rogrigo and Gabriela?

If we're going to mention three guitars, I guess the Eagles deserve a mention, "Hotel California" is a great example of how important it is that three guitarists play complementary rhythms, and not the same thing! ( I really don't care for the Eagles, but a friend pointed out all three parts once, and I was impressed)

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Yep, as is Iron Maiden and certain lineups of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

...Ya can't get to 3 without hittin' 2!

Iron Maiden, during their peak, was a 2-guitar band. When Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith rejoined the band in 2000, they decided to keep Yannick Gers around and make it a 3-guitar package. Personally, I don't think Gers adds all that much.

"Greatest" could have many interpretations. Recording sales, concert attendance, output, level of fame, etc. So it can be pretty ambiguous. So it's "best" to ignore any "best" lists altogether.

Whitefang

It's actually pretty simple, if I like it, it's good, if I love it, it's the best. If I don't like it, it sucks, the songwriter disappeared and all mention of him be expunged from history, the band should be bound and cast into a pit , all its fans neutered, and all copies of the song should be burned, buried, and the ground salted. Strong opinions? I got 'em.

Back to the matter at hand, for two guitars, how about Rogrigo and Gabriela?

If we're going to mention three guitars, I guess the Eagles deserve a mention, "Hotel California" is a great example of how important it is that three guitarists play complementary rhythms, and not the same thing! ( I really don't care for the Eagles, but a friend pointed out all three parts once, and I was impressed)

If we're going 3, I'm going with The Outlaws! :D

The last band I was in was a 3-guitar band...but the lead singer just strummed an acoustic. Damn good sense of rhythm, though - we did NOT have him on mute! It worked because me and the other electric guitarist had such completely different styles that there was almost no overlap between us.

Overall, the whole 3-guitar part was probably my fave thing about being in that band. I would do it (the 3-guitar thing, not that particular band) again.

Duel leads are definitely cool (the Eagles are famous for this kind of sound). For me, it's more about the 1 guitar power trio vs the 2 guitar 4 piece garage bands. Where would the Ventures (CCR, Stones, Beatles, Marshall Tucker, etc.,) have been without the rhythm guitar? I love hearing SRV and Beck and with that much talent, power trios do sound good too...I just like having a rhythm guitar in the band. My 2 cents. I can't pick the best or the greatest 2 guitar band in history, even if the list is whittled down a bit.

I personally like to hear a rhythm guitar in the background holding down a groove while a lead is being played or a little noodling going on. The Skynyrd boys, Kieth, and Malcom were good at it. Also, there is so much more to rhythm guitar than just strumming chords.

Oh, yeah, another 3 guitar band was Moby Grape :thu:

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Surprised not more mention of Metallica- Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield make a good team. I'm not a huge Metallica fan but they can rock.

disclaimer- can't see the video that is posted- maybe it is Metallica... but if not, Metallica should be on the list somewhere. :rawk:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Surprised not more mention of Metallica- Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield make a good team. I'm not a huge Metallica fan but they can could at one time rock.

FYP. ;)

Personally, I found that their decline in rocking ability directly coincided with the band's collective increase in systemic doucheopathy...

Archived