Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The greatest two guitar rock band in history

Sharkman

Time to start some arguements. In the December 2013 issue of Guitar Player, the last paragraph on page 29 starts off with "If Aerosmith isn't the greatest two-guitar rock band in history, they're in the top two." I'm thinking that fans of The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, the Yardbirds, and other bands may disagree. How do the rest of you feel?
I rock; therefore, I am.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allman Bros. Little Feat, there are a bunch.....

I like bands that have 2 guitars if the guitars actually work arrangments together and both are actually guitarist not just an extra thing for a vocalist to wank on.

I hate the lead guitar/ryhthm tags. I don't believe in lead guitar or rhythm guitar. You can either play GUITAR or not it is an all inclusive whole. Never met a lead pianist or lead bassist.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There are a lot of players that specialize in lead and rhythm guitar. May the best man win...I prefer two guitars (sometimes more like when The Eagles are playing). I like and admire the rhythm guitar and hate seeing it left out in "power trios". There are exceptions when it's Beck or SRV doing the guitar parts. I like The Ventures, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, CCR, The Beatles, etc., and not just because the vocalists are wanking over the guitar parts. It's because that rhythm guitar, like that of George Harrison or Ronnie Woods are a big part of the foundation to the overall sound. The rhythm guitar often gets overshadowed by the great lyrics, vocal leads and harmonies, and the lead guitar. But they really make the group sound better IMHO.

It's true you don't hear much about lead pianists and lead bassists. The Pianist takes a lead any time you want them to. But it's harder to get a bass player to take a lead these days as it's not as cool as it once was. Jazz combos like giving the bass a lead and even the drummer a lead break. Back in the old R&R days it was considered cool (songs like Wipe Out for instance), but these days bass leads and even drum breaks are harder to come by. I wish there were more.

I don't mind the "rhythm guitar" tag and much prefer it over "2nd Guitar". +1 on Two Guitar Bands...I hear where you're coming from CEB. It's nice to be able to play both parts but it sounds better with two guitars doing it and letting the best lead player take the lead IMHO...Ps. I love double guitar leads too...

Take care, Larryz

What is MEANT by "two guitar" bands? That there's more than one? Then it means that, in spite of how good Aerosmith is, there are equal and better bands.

If it means there are two guitars in the band that share solo spots, then the list is limited more. I don't know if anyone else in Aerosmith ever did solos, so I might assume it's the former definition.

Which means of course many debates, discussions, arguments and knock down drag outs over who might top the list.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

>coughing< Duane and Dickie...

I was thinkin the same thing Caev-o. Automatically popped into my head as soon as I read the thread topic even before I went into the thread.

Allman Brothers band the first incarnation of it with Duane. (disclaimer that is my favorite two guitar band according to my personal taste in music)

How can you tell unless you've heard every single one? And then it's just your opinion!

G.

Yep. "The Best" is always and only a personal opinion at least in a musical sense....... Anyways "the Best is always a fleeting thing to those we call "The Best". Such as in Olympic terms, yesterdays best is always bested some time & somewhere.

Iron Maiden for doing it so well in the 80s but its different style of music from what is being discussed. Also My argument is what constitutes a band some sound better with one some sound better with two or three and some sound great with none. I mean if they can take on a musical ride I dont care how many of anything is in the band.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Not that I wish to disparage Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, both of whom are far better guitar players than I will ever be, but I personally would not put them ahead of Duane Allman and Dickie Betts, or Keith Richards and Mick Taylor, or Keith and Ron Wood, or Angus and Malcom Young, or Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. And although neither were considered to be extraordinary guitarists, I'd say the overall musical output of John Lennon and George Harrison when they were in The Beatles outshines pretty much everyone else.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Chet Atkins, Tuck Andress, Tommy Emanuel... Each of these guys is a great "two guitar band"... :D

I've watched Tommy play lead and rhythm at the same time. But even more amazing, he plays the bass and drums too on his guitar while doing it! --->

Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...
Iron Maiden for doing it so well in the 80s but its different style of music from what is being discussed. Also My argument is what constitutes a band some sound better with one some sound better with two or three and some sound great with none. I mean if they can take on a musical ride I dont care how many of anything is in the band.

Lok

I liked early Stryper in the 80s and they were clearly influenced by Maiden.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

How could I forget.

No doubt who is the best 2 guitar band.

The Gods of Rock.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvV1XkiGoU

Yes!!! Or triple bass on occasion...

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast