Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just did a shootout at GC today SV1 vs Krome vs MoxF vs CP4

Aussie_Chicago

I did try out a MOX8 and a MOXF8, the actions are different from what I could tell

They aren't different. They are identical and same keybed as the P105, 85,95, and DGX650.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/sy-moxf/moxf8/

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/mox8/?mode=model

MOXF8 88 keys, GHS keyboard

MOX8 88 keys GHS keyboard

Yes, your right, maybe the fact that the mox was probably a floor demo for a while and the moxf was brand new made it seem to have a slightly different feel, or maybe the velocity curves seemed more natural on the moxf, I don't know, but what I can tell you is I was very impressed with the Krome until I touched the keybed, wow , how disappointing.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm selling my Krome at the moment (any Los Angeles buyers?) precisely because of the keybed. I didn't really pay attention to the many warnings about the feel, and even though I'd tried it out, I liked everything else about the keyboard, so I thought I'd just suck it up and endure it. Ultimately, though, I just found the Krome's keys so uninspiring that I had to move on (to an RD-800, which I'm thrilled with).

I did try out a MOX8 and a MOXF8, the actions are different from what I could tell

They aren't different. They are identical and same keybed as the P105, 85,95, and DGX650.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/sy-moxf/moxf8/

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/mox8/?mode=model

MOXF8 88 keys, GHS keyboard

MOX8 88 keys GHS keyboard

GHS is the name the give to the basic technology of the keyboard, but not every GHS design is identical. An obvious difference is that the P85 had glossy black keys and the P95 had matte black keys. Whether any change has been made over the years to the parts we can't see, I don't know. If anyone knows someone who services Yamaha, maybe they could tell us whether the replacement parts for the MOX8 and MOXF8 keyboards are identical, that's the only way I can think of to be sure that they use the exact same action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks guys - appreciated :-)

It's the versatility of a workstation I need TBH, although I do value a good keybed and piano sound.

I'm going to have to track down the S90XS and compare it like for like with the others in my price range, and then make the tough decision on which I value most - build quality or features!

Manufacturers normally seem to be pretty adept at fleecing us for more $$, usually by adding a few knobs/sliders, a few more samples/sounds and spraypainting a new letter or number on the back :-)

There was a sound you could smell / like you were inhaling tomorrow.

Cameron Conaway, Bonemeal

Don't worry the S90 XS is a tank and very roadworthy

It's more of a battleship than a tank!!!! Damned thing is huge. I looked at one a few years ago, and thought it was just too big and heavy to cart around.

Good sounds though.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

It aint that bad. I carry one as part of my 3 board rig in my little Chevy HHR. I'm just a little old man.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Mean either. It is long and there is about 5 inches of real estate they could do without but it is really not that heavy.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

well im selling my S70xs currently on this forum for 1200 w/ softcase and correct yamaha pedal... Its a great keyboard that seems to get very little love from all but a few.. I love how it plays and all the meat and potato sounds are spot on ( except may be the organ,typical of all yamaha).. i just dont need all the performance capabilities this board has which are many..and i have to make up some cash for a recent purchase of a Mojo.. so..

Have you tried out the Roland FA-08. I'm not saying this is the solution, but that you might want to try it. The interface is the best thing about it as far as split, layers, and sixteen sounds per a studio set or performance. I own the FA-06, so I don't know how the 88 weighted key feel is. The electric guitar's and electric piano's on the Yamaha probably sound better to most people than the Roland, but the drum's on the Roland probably sound better to most than the Yamaha.

Just some food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Aussie:

I saw in the bottom of your post or your gear list I should say that you already own a MoxF8 and the Korg SV-1 73, so I was curious why you tested two boards you already own. Unless I misunderstood.

Scott

Hi Scott, yes I do indeed own both but when I was doing the shootout I didn't own either. I was looking for a bottom board, and ended up with the moxf8 that I used for a while , but for various reasons , I stopped using it live except for a handful of gigs. I ended up getting an SV-1 recently and it works a lot better for me personally, so I have both now and probably will keep both. The Roland FA-08 wasn't released when I did this .

....sorry for late response, just got back from Spain yesterday.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Archived