Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O.T. What older songs would pass muster these days...

miden

From a PC pov, and also from a much more aware society re issues I would rather not spell out here, I wonder if songs written say back in the 60's and 70's would be allowed to air these days...for example

Alabama Song (Doors)

As Tears Go By (Rolling Stones)

Sweet 16

Brown Sugar (Rolling Stones) etc etc etc

Young Girl

Short People

You're 16....there are many others so I won't belabour the point.

This came up with me as I was searching through songbooks looking to add some songs I could re-arrange/revamp and add to my rep (or in the case of some, RE-introduce after many many years of non-play)

It was sad (to me) that I had doubts as to whether I could do these songs anymore because of how they would NOW be perceived. Am I being to harsh on current society? Or is it an accurate reflection on where we have evolved to?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are things that bad in Australia? :laugh:

I wouldn't think twice about any of them.

Ummm...

I don't know Alabama Song. If it's anything like Sweet Home Alabama, it's not a problem. That song is played all over the USA.

As Tears Go By... what's wrong with that one? I'll go back and listen to the lyrics. Surely I'm missing something.

Sweet 16... Who did this?

Brown Sugar - people play it all the time. It's a classic Stones tune. If people aren't over it by now, they should be.

Young Girl (get outta my life) - Is that the one? Somebody has a problem with that?

Short People? - I'm 5'7" and even I know that Randy Newman's a jokester.

You're 16... - Is this the Ringo Star tune You're 16, you're beautiful, and you're mine?? Tell me it isn't.

Maybe there is a gap in my understanding here. I just don't see a problem.

I could be wrong. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Oh please don't misunderstand - personally I have no issue with the songs per se - but for example Alabama Song 2nd verse...

Brown Sugar with its slavery and other connotations -

You may be right and I am over reacting to songs that were once considered innocent to these days maybe considered in a darker light...

We have been going through scandal after scandal out here with improper conduct of the Church and other so-called welfare agencies, and I guess the mood is anything that can be construed to have those sorts of innuendos could be seen as something they are not. Especially when many did not grow up with the songs, or as I rather romantically put it, grew up in an age of innocence.

No, you are right I am perceiving it incorrectly...I was only really looking to add Alabama Song (from the ones mentioned) anyway..it just got me thinking.

And yes in Australia it is that bad. It seems every second week we are reading about another awful abuse story.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

In light of that I would just say, good on you for trying to be sensitive. There are hundreds of great tunes out there that don't need to stir the pot for anyone.

It's easy for us to approach it like, "hey it's just another song" - but frankly I've known some who have gone through bad things, and if I can be a little sensitive I figure that's part of what it's all about.

And life is a long time. Those songs have been around a while, they're not going anywhere, and next year you may be fine playing 'em without causing anyone needless pain.

Just my 0.02.

In light of that I would just say, good on you for trying to be sensitive.

I totally agree with this.

If people would consider how their words fall on their listener's ears, they might think twice before speaking.

A little empathy goes a long, long way in getting along with others. And some people are just too stupid to realize this.

(Ummmm, I apologize to all the stupid people reading this.) :)

On the other hand, I know of quite a few people who mean well, but simply don't realize what they're saying and the connotation the listener applies to it. Again, put your feet in the other guy's shoes and take a long walk.

I can't say that I haven't made some mistakes along the way. But I don't want to offend anybody - without knowing it. :/

We all could be more sensitive to the needs of others.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

"Brown Sugar" was never "considered innocent" (except perhaps by listeners who had no idea and hadn't give any thought to what the lyrics were and what they were about!), and was sure as hell never meant to be!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

It is impossible to not offend somebody. Many are professionally offended to begin with.

lol LOVE IT... MORE MORE

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

IMO, some songs were meant to offend, whilst others were meant to make statements that make people think. There is a big difference. And, either can be subjective, whether they should be or not.

My kids sometimes ask me if things were "really like that back when(ever)" after they've heard some thought provoking lyric or another, and personally I think that is a good thing. Makes for less likelihood of "history repeating itself."

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

You're 16... - Is this the Ringo Star tune You're 16, you're beautiful, and you're mine?? Tell me it isn't.

It isn't.

It isn't a Ringo tune, it's a Sherman brothers' tune.

"You're Sixteen" is a song written by the Sherman Brothers (Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman). It was first performed by American rockabilly singer Johnny Burnette, whose version peaked at number eight on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in December 1960 and number 3 in the U.K. in 1961.[1] The original 1960 version of "You're Sixteen" by Johnny Burnette is featured prominently on the 1973 motion picture soundtrack of the film American Graffiti.

Remember Bobby Sherman? Hello mudda, hello fadda, ...

--wmp

Remember Bobby Sherman? Hello mudda, hello fadda, ...

That would be Allan Sherman.

This would be Bobby Sherman. Now if this doesn't pass muster, I don't know what will.

[video:youtube]

Here for the gear.

Archived