Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Your least-favorite Christmas tune(s)

Synthoid

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Worst Christmas song performance ever. And it's not even live...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05JWjA0atc

Don't bother with the brain bleach, it won't work, I tried... :freak:

Hideous in many ways , it would take me an A4 of writing to detail.

It's only redeeming feature is the female specimen :).

I am trying to get hold of an absolutely Brilliant (and the only Great version) of "The 12 days of Christmas" , where the guy is phoning all the stores for the various birds and animals and things - unless there is a Kind soul out there who has the recording and can put it up here please :).

Brett

I always wonder why there are butt loads of Christmas songs, but every other holiday has maybe one if they're lucky. Of course, I know many of them are religious in origin, but there are certainly plenty that aren't. The only Thanksgiving song I can think of is that one Adam Sandler did. There's a goldmine of holiday tunes waiting to be written for the other 11 months of the year.

I always wonder why there are butt loads of Christmas songs, but every other holiday has maybe one if they're lucky. Of course, I know many of them are religious in origin, but there are certainly plenty that aren't. The only Thanksgiving song I can think of is that one Adam Sandler did. There's a goldmine of holiday tunes waiting to be written for the other 11 months of the year.
Because, despite the bashing in this thread, there are a lot of people who get into Christmas tunes and a lot of musicians want in on the action. Every holiday season, there are more people putting out Christmas tunes, many of which we never hear again. A few years ago, I was where there was a TV on showing The Jay Leno Show (Not The Tonight Show) and he had Barry Manilow on, doing "Christmas is Just Around the Corner." I haven't heard that one since.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've got the winner:

Several years ago a local TV station contracted a no-name singer to record this turd of a Christmas song:

[video:youtube]

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Because, despite the bashing in this thread, there are a lot of people who get into Christmas tunes and a lot of musicians want in on the action. Every holiday season, there are more people putting out Christmas tunes, many of which we never hear again. A few years ago, I was where there was a TV on showing The Jay Leno Show (Not The Tonight Show) and he had Barry Manilow on, doing "Christmas is Just Around the Corner." I haven't heard that one since.

Veering OT just abit into the world of obscure Christmas songs . . .

Back in the 70's, Elton John recorded a holiday song called "Ho Ho Ho" which was about hanging around with his friends getting drunk until they hallucinated seeing Santa Claus. In fact, the recording itself is so sloppy it actually sounds like he and his friends got drunk/high/whatever before recording. I remember hearing it quite a bit in the 70's and then never again. His "Step Into Christmas" record overshadowed it, which was no real prize itself, but at least didn't sound like a bunch of drunkards in the studio.

Don't take this a knock on imbibing for the holidays. I'm all for it.

A few years ago, I found "Ho Ho Ho" somewhere on the Internet. It's still a pretty crappy song, but brings back fond memories anyway.

There is a channel on SiriusXM, "Holly" that plays Xmas music non-stop; we play it in my office (at the insistence of my employees) and it actually does a pretty good variety of Xmas songs- from Bing's "White Xmas" to the Waitresses "Xmas By Myself" to Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Xmas," but you still end up hearing all the songs several times during the day. I haven't heard that Crissy Hynde song yet, though....

So maybe on topic, maybe off...my sister now wants us and our siblings and children to perform for my mom on Christmas Eve. Just texted me a few songs to learn on piano and sing (phone camera pics of sheet music).

From what I can tell on my phone screen, looks like "a Christmas song", "silent night", "and "joy to the world". All fine, but I'm sure this endeavor could ruin them. She wants us all to pick out our choir parts...me tenor, her alto, I guess my other sister soprano even though she's alto, not sure about my nieces, me playing accompaniment on my sister's out of tune barely functional piano. First time ever attempted together on Christmas Eve, texts going out as we speak. Should be fun.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

So maybe on topic, maybe off...my sister now wants us and our siblings and children to perform for my mom on Christmas Eve. Just texted me a few songs to learn on piano and sing (phone camera pics of sheet music).

From what I can tell on my phone screen, looks like "a Christmas song", "silent night", "and "joy to the world". All fine, but I'm sure this endeavor could ruin them. She wants us all to pick out our choir parts...me tenor, her alto, I guess my other sister soprano even though she's alto, not sure about my nieces, me playing accompaniment on my sister's out of tune barely functional piano. First time ever attempted together on Christmas Eve, texts going out as we speak. Should be fun.

I suggest doing two part harmony, not three, if both sisters are alto. There are M/F arrangements out there, I'm quite sure.

Michael Bolton wailing on top of a Honda...

I know. What the Hell? Where did they dig him up? I drive a Honda and I love it, but man do they need to revamp their advertising campaign. For the last couple of years they seem to be getting farther and farther out of touch. Or maybe I am. :confused:

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

While I dig the Christmas tunes as cut by Jimmy Smith, Booker T, and so forth I have a definite soft spot for Bing, Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis...my folks and grandfolks used to play those records.

Here's Bing doing O Holy Night. No bad sopranos. :) And subtle Hammond organ played beautifully in a traditional style with chimes.

And Oscar Peterson's take on A Child Is Born is...just...wow. The ending arpeggiated chord slays me. Unbelievably gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzz88RRIGgY

TP

Thanks for the OP. He is still my all time hero. Interesting how he was able to pull off those dense voicings so low on the keyboard. If I tried that it would sound like crap. Also, was that a metronome or click track audible at 2:36 or so?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The only way a Christmas carol starts to sound any good , is with full orchestra , and none of the cheesy vocals or lyrics put in front of you.

My fave , "Come all ye Faithful" >

Brett

Stop Press ; they ALL sound Wonderful in the hands of a skilled Harpist!!! , who we were absolutely mesmerized with (among a large crowd) on the side of the footpath - like Bee's around a honey pot. We were blown away by her skills - and many coins flowing into her (Asian Lady) hat.

Just 2 nights ago.

Brett

Folks , I am on the run with hardly any time , and it has taken hours to get hold of this rare as hens teeth and Hilarious "12 days of Christmas" parody , and hours to put part 1 up here.

Sorry it is not real flash sound and editing , but I am sure most people will enjoy :D Pt1 >

Pt2 >

Pt3 >

Brett

Archived