Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Your least-favorite Christmas tune(s)

Synthoid

....anything recorded by Alvin and The Chipmunks.

+1

Rockin Around the Christmas Tree

+1

Both of these songs make my teeth hurt.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OTOH, this might be my favorite Christmas song.

[video:youtube]

(Organ by Mr. Ian McLagan, too.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I very much dislike the 12 days of Christmas due to how repetitive and boring it gets....except for the Bob and Doug McKenzie version - classic!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'd have to say 'O Holy Night.' It's not the song itself so much as the fact that over the years I've had to endure a lot of high note abuse from bad sopranos.

Like this??

I know. Thread hijack :o but...

Here is one of my favorite Christmas songs of all time, written and sung by my good buddy and occasional co-conspirator Tony Haselden.

SOng starts after a minute or so of story telling. Lyrics are worth the wait. :laugh:

I'd have to say 'O Holy Night.' It's not the song itself so much as the fact that over the years I've had to endure a lot of high note abuse from bad sopranos.

Like this??

OWOOOOOOOO!!! That is god-awful. Sounds like a mix of Aaron Neville and Michael W. Smith; 2 singers I absolutely despise. There was an episode of Frasier where Martin sings that song with not much success. I thought of that when watching the above video.

I know. Thread hijack :o but...

Here is one of my favorite Christmas songs of all time, written and sung by my good buddy and occasional co-conspirator Tony Haselden.

SOng starts after a minute or so of story telling. Lyrics are worth the wait. :laugh:

Steve - you obviously missed the point of this thread. It's supposed to be about one's LEAST favourite Xmas tune, and here you've introduced me to my MOST favourite one!! Thanks, that's hilarious!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Like this??

Personally, I like this one:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The McCartney song is by far the one I hate the most. Not because of the song itself, but the Synth line with the off tempo delay makes my teeth hurt.

Next on my list is the George Michael song. Not sure the name, but it starts with "Last Christmas I gave you my heart". The second most gag-worthy song in the English Language.

OTOH, It doesn't feel like Christmas Season until I hear the Nat King Cole version of Mel Torme's classic "The Christmas Song"

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Speaking as a choir director, I'd have to say 'O Holy Night.' It's not the song itself so much as the fact that over the years I've had to endure a lot of high note abuse from bad sopranos. That could be a band name, though, now that I think of it.

Oh Holy Night? Or Bad Sopranos? :/

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Like this??

BWAHAAAHAAA! Thanks for posting that Steve, it made me larf. :laugh:

I very much dislike the 12 days of Christmas due to how repetitive and boring it gets....except for the Bob and Doug McKenzie version - classic!

Definitely.

I was going to post that... you beat me to it. :thu:

There was an episode of Frasier where Martin sings that song with not much success.

Yet another classic!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Like this??

Ha! That raises the bar. Although as far as I know, most of my sopranos have been serious. This guy, I can't tell.

all of them

:)

I agree.

I don't mean to sound like the Grinch, but although some of the old tunes were well-crafted, they've been over-played. There have been some new Christmas tunes composed in the past 50 years, but most just do not compare to the old standards.

And they've been over-played too.

I'm in sales, yet I don't like that everywhere I turn during the holiday season, everybody is trying to sell me something. It puts a lot of pressure on folks to Buy something! - anything - for whoever... whether you want to, (and can afford it) - or not.

Grrrrrrrrr. :mad:

C'est la vie... Doesn't mean I have to like it.

OTOH, if, for whatever reason, you really, really enjoy all the things that the holidays have to offer, then go ahead and wallow in it.

Who am I to judge? :)

But that doesn't mean I have to listen to Christmas music.:rawk:

Ummmm, gotta go. It's about time for another Xanax. :cool:

I don't get worked up about it, but I also don't like Christmas carols. Any one I liked before has been bludgeoned to death. But it was never my favorite genre of music. And for that matter, I'm not a huge lover of music made for children either.

The McCartney song is by far the one I hate the most. Not because of the song itself, but the Synth line with the off tempo delay makes my teeth hurt.

I heard that song in a cafe today, but sung by another artist. Not sure who it was... but there was no cheesy synth at all.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Right now....ALL OF THEM!!I don't know if I did that bold letter jive right..time will tell..:laugh: Just playin so much of them lately. I would have to say least fave is "I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus" It's disturbing to me...I mean the visual.. :sick: My faves are "Carol of the Bells" cause it puts me in mind of a 3/4 and a 4/4 at the same time and the melody. Also I like "Oh Holy Night". Beautiful tune with nice chords.
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I'll probably get flamed, skewered, drawn-and-quartered, then whatever's left will be immersed in acid for saying this, being a keyboard forum and all, but that's never stopped me in the past...

I HATE Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra, be it Christmas or regular music.

There, I said it.

I'm a traditionalist, and don't like the rock-and-roll-ification of classics. But then, I also hate the rock-and-roll-ed / contemporary religious music that's so popular.

I've got over 3000 MP3s ( all legit and paid-for, so don't try and rat me out to The Man ), mostly rock, pop, R&B, a fair amount of classical, even some hip-hop. I just don't equate pop / rock with religious spiritual music ( yes, I know a lot has roots in gospel / soul / R&B ). I'm just a good old fashioned Dark Lutheran ( preacher's kid, even ).

But hey, lots of folks like MHSR & TSO, as well as Christian rock...different strokes and all...

Flame on!

While I dig the Christmas tunes as cut by Jimmy Smith, Booker T, and so forth I have a definite soft spot for Bing, Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis...my folks and grandfolks used to play those records.

Here's Bing doing O Holy Night. No bad sopranos. :) And subtle Hammond organ played beautifully in a traditional style with chimes.

And Oscar Peterson's take on A Child Is Born is...just...wow. The ending arpeggiated chord slays me. Unbelievably gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzz88RRIGgY

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I heard that song in a cafe today, but sung by another artist. Not sure who it was... but there was no cheesy synth at all.

There seems to be a remix version out there, no synth (a CS-80, btw) but completely different orchestration. Still sounds like McCartney, though?

My only problem with xmass music is just that even the good songs get overplayed ad nauseum. Mariah Carey's song is actually a well crafted pop tune with good vocals, but after the 100th iteration.... :sick::mad:

+1 on the McCartney song. Sounds like he was given an old Casio portable for Christmas and started fiddling with the recording features.
No, the major crime is that it was probably a Yamaha CS-80.

Including royalties from cover versions, it is estimated that Paul McCartney makes $400,000 a year from this song, which puts its cumulative earnings for this song at near $15 million

There seems to be a remix version out there, no synth (a CS-80, btw) but completely different orchestration. Still sounds like McCartney, though?

Staight, No Chaser with Sir Paul.

Archived