Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Call Me (Blondie) & Runnaway Del Shannon :(

Kevmo

Kevmo,

Sorry I'm not able to get the video going. However, I'll write out the notes here for you. (I don't have charting software).

The solo for Runaway follows the main chord pattern Am G F E.

In sections...the single notes would be:

A Ab A E C A Ab A E C E A

G Gb G Db D Bb B Gb G Bb B Db D Gb G

F E F C A F E F C A F F E

EDCBA

repeat

The second time around is the same, but the G part continues down the keyboard instead of coming back up. You know the section.

After the last note of the solo (E) it goes to the chorus as you know A maj A simple background riff based on the triad.

I'll leave it to you to get the timing down.

On the G part, I pretty much slide my finger the 1/2 step from the flat to the major note.

Hope this helps a little.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slow it down, practice practice practice.... break it up into sections if need be. No need to transpose.

Sounds like a change in practice habits might be helpful. What tools are you using? Or are you just playing along with the tune?

+1
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Slow it down, practice practice practice.... break it up into sections if need be. No need to transpose.

Sounds like a change in practice habits might be helpful. What tools are you using? Or are you just playing along with the tune?

+1

A good tool for doing this is software called Amazing Slow Downer. There are other similar packages out there that do the same thing. You can select a small section and loop it over and over, and start at a slow speed (without affecting the pitch). Start at a speed you can play easily and do it over and over, bumping up the speed little by little until you can play it at full speed, then move on to the next section. When you get that up to full speed, combine them together, and so on until you get the whole thing. I've learn lots of difficult solos that way.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That video is absolutely terrible. Mind you, doesn't help that the backing track isn't even the right time sig. That tune's in 12/8 FFS, not 4/4!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

That video is absolutely terrible. Mind you, doesn't help that the backing track isn't even the right time sig. That tune's in 12/8 FFS, not 4/4!

I know a lot of people who denote shuffles as 4/4 "swing feel", not 12/8. Hell, the Best Loved Songs Of The American People songbook I cut my teeth on way back in 1981 denoted shuffle as 4/4 swing, not 12/8.

http://edweb.tusd1.org/Mansfeld/FineArtsWeb/MusicExploration/downloads/A%20Music%20Crash%20Course/swing1.gif

+1 for Amazing SlowDowner, great inexpensive tool for those of us who don't have Macs (it's a Windows app) for learning solos and for learning tunes in general.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Really nitpicking, but then it's either this or do my job at work. On that listing of the notes for the Runaway solo. From just playing it in head just now: not just the second line ("the G part") but also the third line (I'm going to adopt your convention and call it ("the F part"!), is a little different the second time around too. I think the second time, the beginning of that line would be: E F E F C A - just a little turn around starting on E before it gets to the F, a slight variation.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Yes indeed. I won't post instructional vids in the future unless I watch them more carefully first. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Really nitpicking, but then it's either this or do my job at work. On that listing of the notes for the Runaway solo. From just playing it in head just now: not just the second line ("the G part") but also the third line (I'm going to adopt your convention and call it ("the F part"!), is a little different the second time around too. I think the second time, the beginning of that line would be: E F E F C A - just a little turn around starting on E before it gets to the F, a slight variation.

Totally cool! I don't mind the nitpick. I just sat down last night and noodled it out from memory without listening to a recording.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Geez. I did a gig with Del back in the late 80's at the Canadian-American Friendship festival, and of course we did Runaway, but I'll be damned if I can remember the solo...

Just too much CRS.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived