Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jim Hall, RIP

hurricane hugo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn! Hat's off to him... He sure had a very good, long run of it, but this kinda sneaked up on me... It's easy to take it for granted that so many of the true Greats have always been and always will be around... !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

When I read the sad news I immediately started to go through my CD collection. I believe that when we listen to the music of those great musicians who have passed, they live again through the music.

As I type this I am listening to his recording of Ballad Essentials on Concord Jazz. His rhythm section includes other jazz greats: George Shearing (another incredible blind musician) on piano, Ron Carter on Bass and Terry Clark on drums.

Another guitar picker gone home. RIP.

If you play cool, you are cool.

I liked the quote of Hall in the obit you linked about his hearing Charlie Christian the first time:

"I was awe-struck by his choice of notes and the spaces he left."

Too many jazz players then and now would try to fill those spaces with notes. Hall chose not to.

He will be missed, but wasn't it nice that he was here at all?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I liked the quote of Hall in the obit you linked about his hearing Charlie Christian the first time:

Too many jazz players then and now would try to fill those spaces with notes. Hall chose not to.

Not just Jazz players, either.

Whitefang

Yeah... :)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not just Jazz players, either.

Whitefang

Yeah... :)

So, two musicians are in a bar listening to a band. The lead guitarist is filling every available beat with 16th and 32nd notes. One of the musicians turns to the other and says, "Hey man, is this guy getting paid by the note?" :laugh:

Hall died in his sleep after a short illness at his Greenwich Village apartment in Manhattan, said Jane Hall, his wife of 48 years who described her husband as "truly beloved by everybody who ever met him."

Now that is a good run and a great death. You younger folk don't think like us older folk, you all still grieve for the dead and gone, but we all gotta die, at least we have to leave the organism at some point, and an easy death is a GOOD death. I don't grieve for folks who die easy, I am actually happy for them and marvel at an easy passing. RIP Jim you done good.....

I have mentioned on FB, that obnoxious people-I used somewhat stronger language-have some kind of force field, the comedian Dennis Leary has joked about it too. "They get hit by a bus, get up and walk away." Meanwhile the good ones too often have a sadly short shelf life, that`s why every now and then I make sure to stir up some trouble :D

But ya, it is a shame-humanity needs all the forward thinkers it can get.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Sometimes a lot of notes works and sometimes they don't. The skill to develope is being able to discern those times.

Whitefang

Mark Twain once commented on the use of obscenity in communication. He said (paraphrasing) that obscenity should be used for emphasis and that when used too often it loses its impact and effectiveness.

I feel the same way about the use of speed in playing music. It should be used for emphasis and when used too often loses its effectiveness and impact. As I have stated in the past, I strongly believe in developing strong technique. However, technique for technique's sake is not the answer. Technique in the service of music is.

Archived