Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just bought me a Yamaha SK-10

nursers

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an SK-30, bought it brand new. It was a great multi-synth and had a great Leslie effect :/ (at least I thought it did at the time).

Funny story about that keyboard. I bought it from Marvin Maxwell, owner of Mom's Music in Louisville. Anybody that knows Marvin will find this funny. I was in there looking at the SK-30 and he walks up to me after a while and says, "Why don't you take it home for the weekend and see if you like it?"

Marvin was a smart business man and he knew full well that once that keyboard got to my house, it would never come back to the store.

Nevertheless, I loaded up the keyboard in my car and drove away. Didn't sign a paper saying I was taking it home. So weird to me at the time. Needless to say, I kept it.

I bought quite a bit of gear from him over the years exactly the same way. I often wondered if he got burned by anybody or if he had a knack for knowing who he could make that offer to.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I bought an SK-10 new back when it was launched. Gigged with that, a Roland SH-3a and an EDP Wasp in an originals band doing 80's synth pop stuff.

Hated it at the time.

Mostly used for string sounds, and they lacked any low-end, but were OK for pads with the chorus effect on. My main beef was that I sounded nothing like Keith Emerson when using the Organ sounds.

Of course, I have subsequently learned to accept that I sound nothing like Keith Emerson no matter what I play.

Yamaha CP4 Stage

Kurzweil PC361

My main beef was that I sounded nothing like Keith Emerson when using the Organ sounds.

Of course, I have subsequently learned to accept that I sound nothing like Keith Emerson no matter what I play.

+100 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I bought an SK-10 new back when it was launched. Gigged with that, a Roland SH-3a and an EDP Wasp in an originals band doing 80's synth pop stuff.

Hated it at the time.

Mostly used for string sounds, and they lacked any low-end, but were OK for pads with the chorus effect on. My main beef was that I sounded nothing like Keith Emerson when using the Organ sounds.

I'm hearing you :)

I owned an SK-20 for awhile. Bought it for cheap because it needed love and cleaning up--it had been owned by a smoker. And the bottom octave keys were covered with stickers. :rolleyes:

After removing the stickers and cleaning the keyboard, I attempted to restore the "wood" finish of the end cheeks. Set it up in my studio and played it for awhile, but was never excited with the sound. Definitely heavier than I expected as well! I gave it away a few years ago.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived