Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

X-stand height question

Josh Paxton

PREFACE: This is a post asking for specific information about x-stands. I'm making it in complete awareness of the pros and cons of x-stands. Therefore if we could refrain from letting the thread drift into tired and irrelevant tangents like "Why are you using an x-stand?", "You should be using a table-top stand instead", "Check out this x-stand fail video, lol!", "Real players don't use x-stands!", "Check out this picture of an ironing board, lol!", "X-stands suck!", etc., I would appreciate it greatly.

That said

I'm trying to find specs for the different heights that various stands can be set to. Almost without exception, the spec sheets I've found online list the minimum and maximum height, and maybe the number of in-between positions available, but they don't tell you what those intermittent heights actually are. Those intermittent heights are what I'm after.

I've checked the sites of the obvious retailers, as well as the On-Stage, Proline, Quiklok and Ultimate Support sites. The only one that gave me what I'm after was the Quiklok site, which provides this diagram:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/files/QL-746-pos_m.jpg

I suspect this is a long shot, but if anyone knows where to get that kind of info for other brands of x-stands, that would be way helpful.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I had time so here you go.

A coupla notes:

This is an older stand, but it looks to be very similar to their newer models. This would be comparable to the KS7291 or the KS8291 (I don't remember if mine is one of those models so this all may be moot).

Feet tube depth = 20" (w/both rubber endcaps)

Arm tube depth = 14" (without/one rubber endcap)

There are 5 preset adjustments with the Ergo-Lok system on my stand, with these measurements in the chart being measured from the outside center edge of the feet/arm tubes (spread of the feet/arms), and the height measurement being measured from the floor to the bottom edge of a 2x4 resting on the arm tubing (AKA the top of the center edge of the arm tubes - where the keyboard would rest):

http://www.robbieking.com/images/avatars/IMG_0899a.jpg

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Hey man whats up? I'm going to be the last person to bust your balls about using an x. Ive been using them for 12+ years and never had a problem. I used the same one my dad gave me for ten of the twelve. Never had an issue. Just make sure all your screws are tight before each job. I recently .switched to a used on-stage stand. It gives alot more options for height than my other old school one did. While I dont know of any info online I can tell you a helpful trick.

After you get the desired height for comfort take a white marker and draw a line across your "teeth". So you know where to lock it. I have multiple markers on mine for various benches/ chairs I my be dealing with. This may not anwer you question entirely but hopefully is helpful. Remember..always check your screws! ;)

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I also use a X stand. An easy way to protect against an X stand failure is to pick up a 1-1/2 inch wide webbed ratcheting cargo strap at an auto supply store. They cost around $10-15. When you set your stand, loop the strap around the top arms and ratchet it snug. This way, even if the locking mechanism were to fail, the stand can't possibly spread open.

I've used this method with some very heavy keyboards - and never had an issue.

OK, I had time so here you go.

A coupla notes:

This is an older stand, but it looks to be very similar to their newer models. This would be comparable to the KS7291 or the KS8291 (I don't remember if mine is one of those models so this all may be moot).

Feet tube depth = 20" (w/both rubber endcaps)

Arm tube depth = 14" (without/one rubber endcap)

There are 5 preset adjustments with the Ergo-Lok system on my stand, with these measurements in the chart being measured from the outside center edge of the feet/arm tubes (spread of the feet/arms), and the height measurement being measured from the floor to the bottom edge of a 2x4 resting on the arm tubing (AKA the top of the center edge of the arm tubes - where the keyboard would rest):

[img:center]http://www.robbieking.com/images/avatars

/IMG_0899a.jpg[/img]

Wow! , that's Angel like service opdigits , I would be tickled pink if I was the O.P :).

Brett

All I've seen have the holes at even degree increments (not even height increments). If you know min/max height, number of increments, and the width at either highest or lowest, all other dimensions can be calculated. If you don't know how to do that, provide said dimensions and I'll do it for you.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

All I've seen have the holes at even degree increments (not even height increments). If you know min/max height, number of increments, and the width at either highest or lowest, all other dimensions can be calculated. If you don't know how to do that, provide said dimensions and I'll do it for you.

And kids-that's the beauty of trigonometry.

Cheers Mike

If you know min/max height, number of increments, and the width at either highest or lowest, all other dimensions can be calculated. If you don't know how to do that, provide said dimensions and I'll do it for you.

Thank you Dan. I do know how to do that, but I was hoping to avoid having to. ;)

Interesting thread. I dont use an X, but have been checking out the aluminium ones, as they r very light. They have the release lever on them. The ones Ive run into just dont go low enough, they appear to be for standing. Ive been thinking of getting one and attempting to drill, carefully....a hole that would lower the playing position another notch, not sure if thats a good idea.

The OP has a good point, as Ive been having a lot of trouble getting specs on the different stands also. Its amazing that so little is written about something that is so important.

There's a reasonable probability that you might want to use a second tier at some point.

There are a few different arrangements but the older Quiklok Double brace-Double tier X stand gave me both near regulation slab height(bottom 88), and the greatest flexibility for mounting an upper synth. The X configuration gains a lot more stability at lower height settings with a much wider spread of the footings and at that height the 2nd tier isn't up in the stratosphere.

Works perfect for me, with the above mentioned precautions in place.

(Yes, I've seen X-stands fail.)

Archived