Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond M-103

J. Dan

A fellow local musician is giving away a Hammond M-103 because his wife is making him. I'm putting my house up for sale and wouldn't want it in here and don't know if I'll end up someplace that would have space, but I can put it in storage for now with the rest of my stuff. Should I bother? I'm inclined not to, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the most desired cabinet style, but it is a real tonewheel tube instrument. But, if you are going to be paying for storage anyhow, and you won't have to pay MORE to store it ---- if it is in good condition, it is definitely worth the price (I'm assuming that you can get it moved without significant expense).

I don't know how good the Hammond patches on your Kronos are, but you could sample the M-103 for some added ones.

Also, your kids might like to have it to play.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Can it be moved with a Dodge Journey? He said he'd help move it.

I wouldn't bother sampling...especially after OS 2.1

Edit: to clarify, i can look up dimensions....wondering if 2 guys could handle stuffing it laid down in and out of an SUV.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I put a plywood bottom on my M102 so it'd move easily on a flat dolly and slide over stairs and tailgates. Using a short piano skid board, I used to load mine in and out of station wagons on its back by myself. It'll be easy with two guys if you're good at moving stuff. Keyboard players often are. :D

--wmp

I put a plywood bottom on my M102 so it'd move easily on a flat dolly and slide over stairs and tailgates. Using a short piano skid board, I used to load mine in and out of station wagons on its back by myself. It'll be easy with two guys if you're good at moving stuff. YOUNG Keyboard players often are. :D

corrected .. :laugh:

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

The M-100 series can come close to the Hammond console sound but has a unique character and capabilities of it's own. The Celeste Vibrato setting has a shimmer not heard from B-3"s, C-3's, or A-100"s. The Percussion can be set to a Second and Third simultaneuosly. The M-102A has additional solo voicings and repeat function. M-100's and especially M-102's were very popular with British artists in the 60's/early 70's. A big attraction was the M-102 came in a split cabinet configuration which made it easier to transport. Video of this model:

Some notable British M-100 users were:

The Beatles - Billy Preston is seen playing an M-102 in the Let It Be film.

The Rolling Stones - Nicky Hopkins plays an M-102 in a recording session rehearsal film before deciding to switch to piano. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Qi3O3Avz8

The Animals - Dave Rowberry plays what looks like an M-162 on Ed Sullivan. The Animalism album has the distinctive vibrato sound of an M-100. Reportedly Dave played an M-102 through a Fender Bandmaster amp in some concerts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1bQ8GQbZ3s

Alan Price Set - The former Animal switched to an M-102 after his Vox Continental period.

Georgie Fame - M-102. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuoXzn6O8ZY

John Mayall - M-102. Seen in photos here. Now I know what inspired Lazy by Deep Purple.

Small Faces - Ian McLagen is seen with a split M-102 in Steve Marriot-era performances.

Spencer Davis Group - Steve Winwood played split M-102 on Gimme Some Lovin' and other hit songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzX4I6H32vQ

Traffic - Steve Winwood on early Traffic recordings.

Ten Years After - Chick Churchill plays M-102 on early recordings and concerts.

Yes - Tony Kaye on split M-102 on early recordings and performances.

Procol Harum - Matthew Fisher plays M-102 on A Whiter Shade of Pale.

Led Zeppelin - John Paul Jones gets a majestic sound playing an M-100 on the first album.

Pink Floyd - Rick Wright used a split M-102 for recordings and concerts until the early 70's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ET2eYQdHo

Deep Purple - Jon Lord is reputed to have used an M-102 for a short period prior to acquiring his C-3.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

There were also a couple of useful middle positions on the tombstone tabs. It only had chorus I and II, but a middle position on that tab would give you both at once for chorus III. The percussion decay tab's middle position was no decay, so I could use that in the top octave for scream to compensate for no foldback, and some.

It had a very different character than a B3 or M3. If I had room, I'd get another one.

--wmp

Steve Winwood also used an M-100 with the Spencer Davis Group, prior to Traffic. His tone in this recording is still one of my favourite Hammond sounds:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BFaT69CyyKU

Yes, two guys can move an M100. Don't forget to lock down the generator. You can use the bottom of the manuals and the generator shelf as hand-holds. I don't know what a Dodge Journey looks like, but it will go into a Chevy Venture's back door the "fat" way onto its back, or through the side doors the skinny way. The side door fitment might be limited to models with the extended wheel base. And might not work with the M103's French Provincial legs.

Those are great organs and that is the right price. Don't forget to oil it when you get it home, and inpect the line cord for damage.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

One person can move an M-103 quite easily. All you need is a floor dolly. Lift one end a la Keith Emerson with the L-100, and kick the dolly underneath. Lower it down and then slide it all the way on, and roll it away.

It's not really that heavy when you do this.

Ask me how I know...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Should I bother? I'm inclined not to, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

I think your inclinations are correct. The 3 1/2 octave keyboards are extremely confining, and because you can't hold a low tonic on sustained chords there's the organ doesn't have the Hammond growl we all love. The things pretty much in common with most of the references put together by Shamanzarek (nice work BTW) are phrases like "early" and "before moving onto..."

It should fit in that Journey. I used to move an L-101 hanging out the back of the trunk of a Studebaker Lark.

In the carefree days of my youth and with a lot of rope ;)

Archived