Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - what do/would you play?

clavjav

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup boogie piano.. there is no other option really. If you only have 1 guitarist.. you take over the rhythm duties during the solo.

Been there, done that!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Surprised no one mentioned to play just the handclaps which helps drive the back beat. This is what I used to do and then jam some piano at the end.

Done that too!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Not worried about trying to recreate the intro acoustic, as I assume the guitarist will take that.

The "intro" acoustic is the guitar through the entire song until the electric comes in after the 'bridge' part ("leaves me in a cold cold sweat"). It's the underpinning for the whole tune.

As others have said, piano will change the character of the tune. If that's okay, go with piano. If that's not okay, it's not a difficult part to learn on guitar... it'll get you out from behind the keys, impress the audience, and maybe even get you the number of the hot blonde that's been forced to ogle the bass player, because her friend already has dibs on the guitarist. ;)

:rawk:

It's precisely because of posts like these that I missed you around this place, Sven. :thu:

If you have two guitarists and keys, you have too many guitars ;-)

Poor Billy Powell, eh? :D :D :D

Exceptions to every rule, kind of like having two drummers! :wave:

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

My 5 piece band does this song and I use a "2 Acoustics guitar" patch on my Yamaha. My guitarist plays an electric and plays rhythm with me until the lead part kicks in.

I know many on this forum stay away from guitar patches on keyboards, but I think, in this instance it works.

Used to cover this song with a classic rock band in L.A. I played acoustic piano and just added my own part.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If it were me, I'd disassemble my mic stand, jump out front and play Freddie.

You would have to take your shirt off... I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have the body for that.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

So last night I threw in some wurlie as opposed to acoustic piano, as suggested:completely changed the feel of the song, and man, what a groove. It sounded really nice. Now I'm wondering how I can change some of the other songs we do...

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

So last night I threw in some wurlie as opposed to acoustic piano, as suggested:completely changed the feel of the song, and man, what a groove. It sounded really nice. Now I'm wondering how I can change some of the other songs we do...

I've got this forum to thank for the tip of using distorted Wurly in guitar-based songs. Works every time...

Cheers, Mike

Archived