Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - what do/would you play?

clavjav

I'm having trouble finding any kind of sound that compliments the lead guitar on this!

Not worried about trying to recreate the intro acoustic, as I assume the guitarist will take that.

But need to come up with some kind of rhythm part later on surely?

RD700NX, Krome 61, Acuna 73 + Mainstage 3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had to play it at gigs loads of times. It was a first dance request at a wedding quite recently. Boogie piano like Kevmo.

Love Brian May's playing on that btw. I'm a Queen fan and a Led Zeppelin fan and Brian May's tele playing on that - and the bit on The Song Remains The Same where Jimmy blags a bit of Boogie Mama (think it's in the middlle of Whole Lotta Love - the "one night ... one night I was laying down ..." just after that).

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Yup boogie piano.. there is no other option really. If you only have 1 guitarist.. you take over the rhythm duties during the solo.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Yup boogie piano.. there is no other option really. If you only have 1 guitarist.. you take over the rhythm duties during the solo.

Basically, this is what I've done. If there are two guitarists, I thin my part a bit, and try to compliment the other two players without being busy. With one guitarist I can stretch out - a little, but then it's back to simple rhythm coverage during the solo.

Like the Wurli idea though.. May have to try that.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My band covered that one when it first came out. I went out and bought a guitar.

:) I had a guitar before one of my old bands played it.... but essentially that. I just played the rhythm part on guitar. No keys

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Distorted wurly or organ compliments a guitar sound pretty well. Putting the piano in there works conceivably but it alters the texture of the song. It ain't about piano.

I do play with a band that does this song, and I play nothing on it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Putting the piano in there works conceivably but it alters the texture of the song. It ain't about piano.

I do play with a band that does this song, and I play nothing on it.

This.

Here for the gear.

Ive always played a boogy / swing brite aco patch.is there another option?

+1 :thu: although I know where he's coming from in terms of finding space. Especially if the lead player is busier than normal. How many piece? I was with a five piece and we covered that tune and I doubled up with bassman with lefty and did accent/ fills with right. Sometimes 8th notes sliding off the flat 5 was effective.

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I would personally play guitar. If you don't play guitar and the band has only one guitarist, I would go wurli. If you have two guitarists and keys, you have too many guitars ;-)
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I agree with a couple of posters above... if you're going to play anything, Wurli will blend better than piano, if you're not trying to change the texture/character of the song. It can fill things out without calling as much attention to itself as piano would.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I come in on the second verse with, as others have said, boogie woogie piano on the RH. LH gets a break. Piano sticks out a wee bit, sure, but in a good way. It lifts the song from then onwards, and gives the whole thing a nice flow. Any other band with keyboards I've heard live does the same

Though the wurli thing is interesting, I might try that tomorrow night.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I would personally play guitar. If you don't play guitar and the band has only one guitarist, I would go wurli. If you have two guitarists and keys, you have too many guitars ;-)

+1.

Don't currently play it, but when we did, I played rhythm guitar. And IMHO, 2 guitars and keys = 2 guitars too many.

Not worried about trying to recreate the intro acoustic, as I assume the guitarist will take that.

The "intro" acoustic is the guitar through the entire song until the electric comes in after the 'bridge' part ("leaves me in a cold cold sweat"). It's the underpinning for the whole tune.

As others have said, piano will change the character of the tune. If that's okay, go with piano. If that's not okay, it's not a difficult part to learn on guitar... it'll get you out from behind the keys, impress the audience, and maybe even get you the number of the hot blonde that's been forced to ogle the bass player, because her friend already has dibs on the guitarist. ;)

:rawk:

The "intro" acoustic is the guitar through the entire song until the electric comes in after the 'bridge' part ("leaves me in a cold cold sweat"). It's the underpinning for the whole tune.

As others have said, piano will change the character of the tune. If that's okay, go with piano. If that's not okay, it's not a difficult part to learn on guitar... it'll get you out from behind the keys, impress the audience, and maybe even get you the number of the hot blonde that's been forced to ogle the bass player, because her friend already has dibs on the guitarist. ;)

:rawk:

:laugh:

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

That song is dangerously close (IMO only of course) to a no-keyboard song. We do Dirty Deeds by AC/DC, and I simply turn way way down. There's no keyboard sound I can add to that without bringing the cheese. We have two guitarists so adding another distorted sound is just too much. Another such song is Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin. Though typically organ is my last resort for many songs, it does blend in very well with guitar tunes.

I play a rhythmic electric piano part unless a band member objects but I don't remember that ever happening. Something with its own identity but not calling too much attention to itself. I'm adding something new that's not on the record but I think it works and I'm okay with that if it doesn't bother anybody else on the bandstand. Never thought of doing acoustic piano, that would change the character of the song a little more I think but I can see how a nice boogie woogie part would sound good over it, just would sound less "80's" (whereas to my ears a bright EP sound can still keep an 80s vibe for the whole tune).

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Sven!? When did they let you out!? :laugh: Was gonna send you a Welcome back Carter but can't pm you. Go figure. Anyway..nice to see you back. :thu:

Allow me to be the first to Svengle that for you:

Ah! I missed the boat on that one! Grazie! :)

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2548448/He_s_back

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

If it were me, I'd disassemble my mic stand, jump out front and play Freddie.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That song is dangerously close (IMO only of course) to a no-keyboard song. We do Dirty Deeds by AC/DC, and I simply turn way way down. There's no keyboard sound I can add to that without bringing the cheese. We have two guitarists so adding another distorted sound is just too much. Another such song is Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin. Though typically organ is my last resort for many songs, it does blend in very well with guitar tunes.

We do Good Times Bad Times and I use NE2 organ + Overdrive (one guitar player).

For Dirty Deeds, what about a subtle filter sweep during "Dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap"? :rawk::) No?

Archived