Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Cropper's favorite electric guitarist is:

CEB

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always liked Jose'. Hell of a player.

In addition I have always been in awe of blind musicians. They all seem to be excellent.

You ain`t kidding...

[video:youtube]

That would be impressive for a sighted person, doing the overhand thing like that. I wonder if playing overhand is somehow easier for the blind. I'm thinking of Jeff Healey.

Scott Fraser

Beat me to it, Scott. Healy came to mind while reading all this. Feliciano always blew me away. I'm with Fred in saying I'm usually in awe of blind musicians. And if ya notice, even most of the "top of the top" SIGHTED guitarists STILL look at what they're doing!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

And if ya notice, even most of the "top of the top" SIGHTED guitarists STILL look at what they're doing!

Whitefang

I would not even consider buying a guitar without some sort of position markers on the fretboard. I need to know exactly where I am all the time. Dots on the side of the fretboard ain't gonna' cut it for me.

If you play cool, you are cool.

And if ya notice, even most of the "top of the top" SIGHTED guitarists STILL look at what they're doing!

Whitefang

I would not even consider buying a guitar without some sort of position markers on the fretboard. I need to know exactly where I am all the time. Dots on the side of the fretboard ain't gonna' cut it for me.

I have 4 guitars with no fret markers and my latest one you can barely see them (so almost 5). I have no problem playing with just the dots on top and no fret markers. If a nimrod like me can get used to it, I guess anybody should be able to...

All I have to do is stand up and play a guitar with fret markers and I can't see them worth a crap unless I angle the guitar back and lean my head forward and down the whole time I'm playing (especially on a wide body guitar). It's hard to make eye contact with the audience in this position. So I just rely on those dots when standing up and playing. If I'm sitting down, then I can see those markers easily, but I find I no longer need them...

Take care, Larryz

When Feliciano first broke out and I discovered he was blind, I sat down and tried playing with my eyes closed just to see( no pun intent)if I could do it. I had a minor amount of success, but since I couldn't, at the time, play at HIS level( and STILL can't!), I would consider it no big accomplishment on my part.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well, since we are now listing excellent blind musicians- esp. guitarists- here's another: Raul Midon.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raul_Midón

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Many guitarists do not give the rhythm players their dues. Raul Midon's video is a perfect example of a solo act, faking a trumpet lead, never going to a guitar lead for fear of dropping the rhythm out, which by the way is what has the audience hooked along with his great vocal!

Having played solo I know what every solo player is up against and really appreciate all of the rhythm guitar parts. That's what makes many a lead player shine when playing in a group. That's why I prefer a 4 piece over a power trio, if there are any doubts, just listen to his last chord and audience appreciation! great example...

Take care, Larryz

If you are going into the two-handed guitar, you have to give Preston Reed his due.

Thanks for the Raul Madon link, he's fantastic.

Good rhythm guitar players are a treasure, finding one who isn't just chugging through the changes so he can get to solo is rare.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Raul Midon comes to Tokyo pretty often, I should catch him one of these days.

About the overhand technique-it does seem like a more natural position for the wrist. A bunch of years ago I did a breaking demo on a sunday morning, hit the brick with less than ideal technique and still have trouble holding that elbow straight down. I`ve tried a bit of overhand playing but I`m not ready to relearn my whole approach-to the extent that I HAVE an approach haha.

Yeah doing solo acoustic really puts things in perspective. I`m not a fan of trios either, someone takes a solo and it sounds like half the band is taking a coffee break.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Trios with two guitars, a stand-up bass with two or three vocal harmonies can really sound great playing jazzy swing standards, old rock and roll rockabilly or some old Cowboy swing. Power trios with bass, drums and lead guitar playing heavy duty blues and rock, can sound good if you have someone like Jeff Beck or SRV playing the guitar parts (and in Stevies case, singing the lead vocals too). But, most of them just try to hard and play too loud...

When I listen to 4 (or more) piece bands using rhythm guitar(s), like the Eagles, CCR, Beach Boys, Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc., I key on the rhythm guitar parts as that's what I played in my old Ventures band. I can play lead, but the old rhythm parts have really laid the foundation for backing up my vocals and I'm glad that I still focus on the chords and timing...I'm always looking for a duo, if I can find a guy who plays guitar and sings with similar taste in music. He can have all the leads if he plays better than me, or he can share them with me if he's somewhere near my level...If I have a level LOL!

I'm hoping to get into a few short chord leads (kind of like the whole song leads that Fred plays) to keep the bottom from dropping out while playing solo and singing...

Take care, Larryz

Archived