Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Krome 61. First impressions of my new board

EscapeRocks

Well, now that my painting project are over, it is time to dig into the new board.

First off, I actually returned the one a got last week. I never opened it. Why? To save money. Between the "black Friday" discount, and the trade in value I got for my MOX, I walked out the door with a smoking hot deal.

I also got the gold colored Krome. The finish looks to be identical to the Kong Krome. I like it.

So, first thing I do is take it out of the box, put it on the stand, and fire it up.

Everything.

For this long time Korg workstation user (Triton Ex, M50), I did not have to unwrap the manual.

With the touch screen on, everything was where it's supposed to be. I am so glad Korg stayed with their interface convention on this.

Cool things:

Lighted buttons. This a really cool and useful feature. The soft glow emanating from a button lets me see the black on gold writing. Plus, you have instant visual clue as to what's been activated.

The color touchview screen. I really like the way different things are sectioned off with contrasting colors or shades.

When a program is called up, you can very easily see which controllers (knobs, sw1, sw2) do what.

Navigation is standard Korg. I was able to setup complicated combis, with different zones, layers, and splits without having to go cryptic menu diving.

This is one area I really began to dislike about my MOX8.

The MOX8 is an excellent board. However, it is not really geared towards live performance, the way I use a board.

Setting things up on the MOX to be controlled by an external board or by its own keyboard is time confusing, and not very intuitive. I had the board right after it came out, and I still was never comfortable setting it up. Always a huge chore.

The MOX is also a great studio or live board if you use laptop/vst. Being its own audio interface is a huge bonus.

Okay, all that being said, I was a bit nervous on my decisions to go back to Korg, and away from Yamaha. As some of you know it came down to the Krome or a MOX61 or MOXF61. I has spent a lot of time dialing in the sounds I use.

Well, that nervousness went away when I started playing the Krome. I'm not sure of the proper words, but everything seemed more lush and lively on the Krome than my MOX, and of course my M50. Personally, I think it blows the M50 out of the water.

The Korg pianos were really deep, and I could hear the differences in my nuanced playing.

I quickly ran through pads, strings, synth sounds, etc... all were just alive and practically ready to go out of the box.

I know a lot of it is due to the interface and the ease of use to me.

Still, if Yamaha could have a UI in it's less expensive boards as Korg does, the Yamaha would be killer, and for me would be an impossible decision to decide between an MOX or a Krome.

As it is, the straight forward interface of the Krome won out for me. That and the sounds!

Happy with my choice.

I'll have more after my first gig with it this weekend.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/krome1_zpse9c31545.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the question is, when are you going to paint this one?

:D

Probably not going to. That's why I changed to the "gold" one.

As an aside, now that I have a few gigs with the PX350, I'm going to write up a review. It's positive! :)

David

I love that gold finish, it's so nice we finally get to choose the color of our axes. Yeah, there are yellow waldorfs, blue novations and purple kurzes, but imho there was never a workstation you could pick a color for!

Do you feel that overall the Krome has different sound/vibe fom the MOX? I felt that Korg was somewhat colder, more transparent sound. Like it had more air and less mids, on most of the patches.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Thanks for your feedback, I just bought one of these on Monday (in black alas), still sitting in its box though, haven't had time to get it going yet. Tried it out in the shop first, and it did seem very intuitive to program, which is very useful to me.
RD700NX, Krome 61, Acuna 73 + Mainstage 3

Setting things up on the MOX to be controlled by an external board or by its own keyboard is time confusing, and not very intuitive. I had the board right after it came out, and I still was never comfortable setting it up. Always a huge chore.

That's how I feel about my Motif. I know I should spend more time with it... reading the manual and learning everything. Overall though, it's just not as inviting as my Korg gear.

I'm not sure of the proper words, but everything seemed more lush and lively on the Krome than my MOX

Agree 100%. Korg sounds have that "special sauce" right out of the box. :thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Agree 100%. Korg sounds have that "special sauce" right out of the box. :thu:

So thats what they call reverb these days...

I thought the same, but I dialed stuff like that back, and the sounds were still more lush than my MOX. I really noticed it on the strings. As always, a totally subjective thing.

David

Agree 100%. Korg sounds have that "special sauce" right out of the box.

So thats what they call reverb these days...

I thought the same, but I dialed stuff like that back, and the sounds were still more lush than my MOX.

:thu:

Korg keyboards usually have hotter output signals as well. I'm forever turning up the Motif volume to match my M3 or Triton.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived