Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More on learning systems

jimmac

There was a topic a few weeks back about some learn guitar quick method that I almost added to. Then a couple days ago I found a box of picks that I had back in the 70's and put some of them on my amp to use. While playing one night I saw that the pick I was using said Thanks ED Sales. This was the first guitar book I had as a young teen. It was mail ordered I think from New Jersy in about 1964. They claimed to have started some hugh number of players but I don't remember the exact claim but based on the book they had been doing it for a long time. Simple cowboy chords and a few very old songs. Anyone else use this book? Jim

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never saw the book, but I started out around 62 learning those old cowboy C F & G songs by Hank Williams Sr. as taught to me by my dad and my uncles. I still like playing a couple of them. It's fun to reminisce on books and methods that got us started. I have a couple of books from the old days (late 70's early 80's) that teach scales and improvisation techniques that opened up a whole new world for me...
Take care, Larryz

I used a book by Nick Manoloff that had a separate chord chart circle for transposing and later got a Mickey Baker book for jazz chords after I had a clue as to what was going on.

The Nick Manoloff book wasn't for country but went through basic 2/4, 3/4, etc plus open chords and simple melodies.

I did a search on google and apparently nobody knows who Nick was...

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

My first guitar teacher used Mel Bay Book 1 in 1964. This was quite possibly the most boring book ever, but it taught the basics of reading music, etc. But my earliest experience with a method that actually taught me something I wanted to play was The Folk Singer's Guitar Guide by Jerry Silverman (edited by Pete Seeger).
If you play cool, you are cool.

Hey, I remember that. I thought it was ED SALE, the name of some guy. Yeah, old cowboy chords and some cool old tunes like "Big Rock Candy Mountain" and "Massa's In De Col', Col' Ground".

And of COURSE Mel Bay. Had a few books over the years. Still have one around here somewhere...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I used some Mel Bay book my parents had on the shelf, then The Beatles Complete Songbook and the stash of my mom's hit song sheet music compilation songbooks... then my ear took over. Joining a junior high garage band as a singer and being to look at the guitarists hands was one of the biggest steps in my development, actually.

Looking at the guitarist hands is a wonderful technique anytime you're playing with someone new to the mix (while jamming and playing live)! I like to stand on the right on my songs so the other guitarist can watch the changes and read the chords, then I let them stand to my left and we just switch mikes on their songs so I can watch and read their chords!
Take care, Larryz

Looking at the guitarist hands is a wonderful technique anytime you're playing with someone new to the mix (while jamming and playing live)!

Especially fond of lefty players when learning new material.

Got a big learning boost early on from a skilled player who tragically lost half of his left index and middle fingers (lawn mower accident), but was determined to relearn playing left-handed. Spent a summer soaking up priceless impromptu lessons at the modest "expense" of providing patience and encouragement . . .

TimberWolf

Archived