Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hearing bass lines

Groove Mama

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out bass lines because they're, well, just too low to easily discern.

I'm probably late to the party on this, as usual, but I just found out that I can hear the subtleties (muted notes, etc.) of bass lines really easily by bringing a song into Anytune Pro, filtering the EQ and jacking up the pitch 2 octaves. You can slow a song down, too.

I also found out, to my dismay, that I've been playing only about half the notes in What's Goin' On. Aargh.

Anytune Pro is a cool tool, though. I'm sure I'll be using it a lot.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out bass lines because they're, well, just too low to easily discern....

...I also found out, to my dismay, that I've been playing only about half the notes in What's Goin' On. Aargh.

In a lot of cases that may just be an issue with the mix of a particular song. For some artists/producers/mixing engineers it's not imperative to have a bass part prominent in the mix of a song. And if it's an older recording? Then it's much more likely that the focus of the mix will be the vocals followed by everything else.

As for "What's going on"? That's a song that's been challenging plenty of bass players for years and years. Jamerson is simply brilliant on that Marvin Gaye track. But from a listening and learning standpoint? I've found that I can hear Bob Babbitt's part much clearer in the mix on the soundtrack of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown. His performance on "What's going on" is pretty faithful to the original, and he accompanies Chaka Khan beautifully on that particular rendition. Check it out!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

+1. Get a copy the book Standing in the Shadows of Motown with the CD's, you'll hear some great stories along with getting sheet music and incredibly well mastered instrumental tracks.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived