Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Sayin'

Paul K

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Swedish and generally speaking us Swedes don't grow very good looking beards, very patchy (remember Björn Borg ?) As a result I've been clean shaven my entire life. Damn thing would be white by now anyway.

The trade-off is that at 53 years old I can usually get away with shaving only two or three times a week. I shaved this evening (Sunday) and I should be fine for my networking meeting Tuesday morning.

Push the button Frank.

At the risk of sounding vain, keeping a clean shaven face makes me look younger. The beard, when I've grown one on vacations, is very salt-and-pepper. So is my head, but somehow all that white on my face makes me look older.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I've had a mustache for decades, and small beard on and off for the last 10 years. I'm growing a full beard (all across the sides/cheeks) since I'm playing a Santa Clause in a community theater production over the next couple of weeks. I used to think I was too gray; now I realize I'm not gray enough for the part. So I'll be powdering it look more "Santa-ish".

When the show is over, my wife will be very happy to have me to shave. Of course, now maybe I'll shave the beard & 'stache, but keep the muttonchops. Just to drive her crazy.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

It would be nice to only have to shave once every week or few days at least..

I can shave in the Am and have the '5 o'clock shadow" by about 2:30 PM... and its' not a shadow, it's a stinkin' eclipse...

OK, maybe not that bad, but I can sculpt about any kind of facial hair style I want and change it within a week.

My wife doesn't like it. In the winter, I can put on a thick full beard within 7 days if I wanted to. I might do one for winter- I sometimes do. It's all scraggly looking though. If I don't keep it trimmed short, it looks all Bushman.

However, I have had a goatee for about the last 10 years or so. My wife is ok with that.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I had a beard from 1975 to 2005 (almost to the day).

Every woman - I mean every woman - told me I looked younger without it. Shaving is painful - been to too many barbers and fancy shave places - I'm always told my skin is too sensitive and my hair is too tough.

I let it go a bit, and my girlfriend liked it. I decided I liked it, so I've had a beard for a few months. it is much whiter than it was in 2005, but that's the way it goes.

I keep it trimmed, and it never bothers me.

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

somehow all that white on my face makes me look older.

Yeah, me, too.

:thu:

Call me whipped, but my significant other does not like it when I go a few days without shaving. I tend to shave every other day, mostly. Never had a full beard, mustache or the likes. Maybe next year, come Movember :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

My take is that beards are for making young guys look older. For example, Cole Vosbury (The Voice). He is 22.

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/artists/images/artists/cole-vosbury.png

I've done the "goatee" (Van Dyke) or had just a moustache for most of my 20s and 30s. I went clean before it went grey.

My take is that beards are for making young guys look older. For example, Cole Vosbury (The Voice). He is 22.

I've done the "goatee" (Van Dyke) or had just a moustache for most of my 20s and 30s. I went clean before it went grey.

I think facial hair on men can be attractive. I'm especially partial to the Van Dyke or even the occasional soul patch.

But a giant, untamed mass of chin/neck fur like this young dude is sporting pretty much grosses me out. I could barely stand to watch the World Series this year, what with all the egregiously unkempt beards. Yuk.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

but my significant other does not like it when I go a few days without shaving. :)

Right on. If I wait too long then I risk living in a smooch-free zone.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Shoot, I've had a beard or some form of facial hair for most of my adult life. I usually keep it well trimmed though. I already push the limit at work with a foot long ponytail so if I came in looking like a shorter, pudgier, (and obviously much less talented) version of Leland Sklar that would probably be a bit too much for those clean cut mechanical engineers.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Big money in the Chuck Mangione look-a-like market, I'm sure. But you'd have to buy a flugelhorn to pull that off.

http://www.nnhs65.com/BIRTHDAY-IMAGES/Chuck-Mangione-1.jpg

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Shoot, I've had a beard or some form of facial hair for most of my adult life. I usually keep it well trimmed though. I already push the limit at work with a foot long ponytail so if I came in looking like a shorter, pudgier, (and obviously much less talented) version of Leland Sklar that would probably be a bit too much for those clean cut mechanical engineers.

I would make an exception to my no-scraggly-beard rule for Lee Sklar.

Big money in the Chuck Mangione look-a-like market, I'm sure. But you'd have to buy a flugelhorn to pull that off.

http://www.nnhs65.com/BIRTHDAY-IMAGES/Chuck-Mangione-1.jpg

Chuck's beard totally trumps the young dude's unkempt version.

"time to trim your beard Mountain Man"...... is what I hear if I let mine go to long.... Dear wife loves the beard... as long as it is kept (or Kempt)
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Archived