Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight 88 Keyboard with the Best Rhodes??

kryl

PLayed the Electro 2 many times on a gig. The Rhodes are quite usable with a little use of the overdrive and for some strange reason I don't mind the action too much for Rhodes.

The acoustic piano from the Electro 2 however is almost unusable

As a proud NE2 owner, I agree wholeheartedly. The piano is good enough for rehearsals, but not for gigs or even jams. Bandmates don't seem to mind it, but it grates on my nerves.

That said, I still need to try the mono piano, which Kanker uses (from a weighted keyboard). I did try my NE2 from my MR76, but the keyboard response was all wrong. If the sound had been better, I might have tried different keyboard response curves, but IIRC it was already at the extreme end in the direction I'd change it, so I'd need a software velocity mapper.

I like the Rhodes quite a bit, and it's pretty versatile, EQable to pull out the bell or suppress it (I like the bell). Plus there are about 3 versions. Also, the hottest layer is hotter than Scarbee (more bark). My biggest problem is that it's a bit too easy for my clumsy fingers to hit the top velocities on the semi-weighted keyboard. Other than that, I don't mind the NE2 action for Rhodes, and I like it a lot for Wurlie.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would take everyones suggestions.. write um down and try to find as many as possible to demo. Did you ever specify what type of Rhodes sound you like? I'm on the Darker Herbie/Stevie side personally,But there's also The George Duke/Chic Corea Bell tones. Every modern keyboard should be stacked up with all of them, but they're not, so it takes time to find the ones you like. Let us know which one you get.

At least on the MX I have, the Vintage 74's pan is way overpowering and off-putting to me.

Edit button-->Part-->Voice Insert Eff.

Yeah, I know. I can dial it down with the real-time knobs, too.

The point isn't to adjust it every time you select it, but to use the edit function to get it the way you want it and then save it that way so it just comes up that way whenever you invoke it.

[You prefer that voice to the others I sited?

I actually use Hard Vintage, but it's just a matter of personal preference.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

At least on the MX I have, the Vintage 74's pan is way overpowering and off-putting to me.

Edit button-->Part-->Voice Insert Eff.

Yeah, I know. I can dial it down with the real-time knobs, too.

The point isn't to adjust it every time you select it, but to use the edit function to get it the way you want it and then save it that way so it just comes up that way whenever you invoke it.

[You prefer that voice to the others I sited?

I actually use Hard Vintage, but it's just a matter of personal preference.

+1

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Archived