Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

are you now, or have you ever been, a clavinet owner?

yorgatron

clavinet  

210 members have voted

1. 1. clavinet

just curious really, but I went to see "Last Vegas" last week and the clavinet sound they used was just horrible.

there seems to be a difference between players who used to own the real thing and those who have never played one.

the other thing that bothers me is that clavinet was used on any number of hit records back in the day (I'm 52) but now it's only ever used in retro funk/disco songs, while completely lacking in an real "funk" whatsoever.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a D6, but everntually sold it. The action was quite unique and once you get your hands on it, you understand why people played them the way they did. Most modern recreations aren't very good to me. However, when I had an Electro 3, I felt that the experience was quite close to the original. Possibly because you can set the trigger point at the top of the key, like an Organ, rather than at the bottom.

Owned and gigged on a D6 during the 70's... wish I never sold it...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

That hurts. FedEX destroyed a mixer rack for me about ten years ago.

My E7 is mint. I'm the third owner. I bought it from Alain Mallet. Bad mofo. He and the E7 are on some Paul Simon and Jonatha Brooke records. I gave him his asking price of $1800, but only if he agreed to play a party gig with my band and be the other keyboard player who kicks my butt.

--wmp

Got myself a D6 last week actually :)

Has a few quirks like pickup buzz that I have to fix.

The only thing I really regret is that I waited so damn long to get one :facepalm:

What a fun instrument !!! My Nord E3, while it´s good, still is a joke compared to the real thing.

Any good suggestions for a suitable wah-pedal?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

"I have no recollection of such fact"

Because I never owned the real thing, only imitations since the DX7. I've got some nice patches for the PC3, if someone is interested, deep ones that work loud and soft, and more "precise" ones with full up to 20kHz spectrum I think.

Yesterday I heard a good mix from a well working radio station from Stevie Wonder's Superstition, first time I dug the high mid's of the instrument, to be honest, those tracks (it sounded like two or three overdubs) build a nice soundscape.

T.

(I'm 52) but now it's only ever used in retro funk/disco songs

not correct. ALL the jambands use a clavinet. Gov't Mule, Black Crowes, Phish, Trey Anastasio, Dumpstafunk, Furthur, Tedeshi / Trucks and on and on and on. My E7 sits proudly on top of my A100 and if I ever get big enough to hire roadies (won't ever happen) I'll take it on the road.

:nopity:

Wonder what this would be like?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HAZMUTRONIIIPLUS

WTF ??? :laugh:

Never seen this "reissue" before....WOW !!!

Wonder if it´s as good as the original?

OK, so I´ll need THIS AND a good Wah-pedal :)

Any suggestions? :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Owned and played a real one back in the 70's & 80's....side-lined it after I purchased my first DX7. I unfortunately lost it when my dad passed away (it was in his basement & his "wife" refused me access). Absolutely a great instrument with an aggressive light touch. Vibrating strings always generate the most interesting harmonic overtones....especially when used with guitar effect pedals. Out of all of the instruments that I have demoed, only the SK-1/2 samples with all 4 pick-up positions sound almost completely realistic to my ears. I also agree with the poster that said Clav voices should be optionally triggerable from the upper contact point as well, for better realism and faster touch response.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Wonder what this would be like?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HAZMUTRONIIIPLUS

No. THe Electro Harmonix Q-Tron was developed by the origional Mutron III people. Gets good reviews. I have a Boss AW-3 because I've seen Ivan Neville (Dumstafunk) and Stevie Wonder use it, but I rarely use it. It does a great job with the "Higher Ground" type of auto-wah. I use a MOOG MoogerFooger MF-101. It's close to the origional Mutron III but has it's own charachter of course.

:nopity:

My first keyboard (other than the family upright) was a clavinet.

It is a sad tale unfortunately. I was 11 years old. It worked for about a week, and then died. I could still play it acoustically, but plugging it in was a waste of time.

So eventually I took it to a music store called Keen Kraft. They gave me a loner keyboard...and acetone combo organ.

I had it for a year or more. We called regularly and they kept saying they were waiting for parts. Finally they called us saying they needed the acetone back, and that the clav would be ready next week. We took the acetone back, and they told us what day we could get the clav which apparently they had shipped out to another store to finally repair.

The next week I went to pick up my clav only to find the store empty and closed.

My parents didn't pursue it any further, and promptly bought me a Roland ep10, which I think was their first electric piano.

Despite all that, I have really happy memories of sitting in my bedroom playing my clavinet acoustically and learning to play.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Never owned, played a few, really wish I had one, Clavinet is one of the few classic boards I haven't owned at one time or another. I have a finely tuned Scarbee Clav/Guitar Rig patch I use live that I think sounds pretty real, but the touch response isn't quite there on the Axiom 61 I use to control it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I owned a D6 for a short period about 10 years ago. When I got it it was unplayable as all the rubber key hammers needed replacement. I replaced these but for some strange reason most of the hammers didn't line up with the strings. I was hesitant to bend the metal pieces, so I had a professional fix it. It cost of bomb to do this. Once fixed it sounded great and the action was very interesting to connect with. In terms of timing getting this D6 wasn't good because it was at the start of my degree program, and I needed to be shedding Jazz piano, not funk clavinet!

I'm glad for the experience and wish I still had it. It was a good lesson in how difficult getting must've been back in the day, with temperamental instruments. Keep in mind this was only one instrument and to maintain a B3, Leslie, Rhodes and Minimoog would be such a headache and back ache.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I still own the same one I bought sometime in the late 60s (or early 70s maybe) It still has a "Midnight Special" backstage pass stuck to it! :cool: but......

It's on a shelf in my basement :o

I have to say, since buying the virtual one from Sonicouture, I don't miss it.

Still own my Clavinet C that I bought new back about the time "Green Eyed Lady" came out (a couple of years before "Superstition"). I've re-strung and re-tipped it several times myself, and re-tolexed it once. It looks and plays pretty good.

It currently sits in the attic practically unused. It's just not where my musical focus is currently, and I'm currently without a quality 12" all tube open back guitar amp to run it through. You can't just plug a real Clavinet into anything and expect the sky to open up.

I'm currently in the process of trying to sell my house, and I'll probably let it (and some other vintage gear collecting dust) go when that happens.

I picked one up used in a music store..I don't really think they knew what it was or what it was worth..Got it for $200 around 1972 I think..

Ran it through my leslie..loved doing a song on it by Deep Purple called Hold On off their Stormbringer album.

Also made it feedback when running it through the leslie. Used it for rythym/guitar type stuff..

WTF ??? :laugh:

OK, so I´ll need THIS AND a good Wah-pedal :)

Any suggestions? :)

I had a Mutron III and used it w/ the Clav D6.

I found it boring after some time and liked wah-pedals much more.

Mutron III was what I sold early but I liked the Mutron Phasor II and kept it ´til 2005.

Couldn´t afford a Mutron Bi-Phase in the past.

When they do a reissue of a Bi-Phase,- I´m in.

A.C.

Archived