Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EASY WAY TO RECORD RHYTHM TRACKS?

Keys4Jazz

I'm using a MOX6 keyboard to record pattern loops of bass and drums. I need to free up my synth so I can use it for chords and solos.

What is the easiest was to record rhythm track 12 bar loops? MIDI with PC? Audio (analog)input with PC? Digital recorder? Or another synth like a Yamaha MM6?

I tried a Boss BR8 recorder but it is really difficult to create a loop. What is an easy way to capture a rhythm track loop and play it back? I'm not sure that the Yamaha MM6 is really the right tool for this. Adding a PC may just take more time. What is an easy tool for this?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A looper pedal works too I use this guy: JamMan Stereo Phrase Looper

I use it with a Korg WaveDrum mostly, but I have also used it to create multi-track loops of drums, synth bass & guitar. I like it because its portable and very easy to create loops on the fly.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I'm not sure about the easiest, but the cheapest would be to use a PC and DAW (digital audio workstation) software. I assume your computer has a stereo line input, and not just a mic input. Line inputs are good enough for most casual musical purposes; mic inputs aren't.

For the *very* cheapest, which is capable of doing what you want, try downloading free Audacity. You can use it to record audio, and I'm pretty sure you can set it to play back in a loop. It'll also allow you to record the new tracks you're playing along with it. Once you get to the point where you want to do a bit more than that, like adding effects and mixing, a true DAW is better, like Reaper for $70 (IIRC).

Excellent input, and a lot of good methods. MIDI is going to use the synth, so audio would be good. I looked at a looper pedal today, but the start and stop is hard to get right. A new synth - always a good idea but too much $. DAW is not MIDI, now I get it. I saw Ableton Live(?)software at Guitar Center today, it looked pretty user friendly. That's a good possibility. Thanks

I am always looking for new ideas.

Good advice.

Keys4Jazz - welcome to the forum. I appreciate it's your screen name and not a question ... but in case anyone is trawling this thread in years to come when we've done away with all punctuation ... the answer to Keys4Jazz is Bb, Eb and sometimes F

Which is why quite a few guitar players struggle and yet quite a few sax and brass people are sort of ok.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I agree ~Stillgig. Horn players prefer Bb, Eb. Years ago I played bass and E was my lowest note, I liked E, F, or G because I had those low root notes on bass. Today as a key player, C or Bb is easiest. Now I understand why every player has his favorite keys. Oh yea, the old days when I only had one note to play, sweet...

Archived