Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stanley Clarke - School Days

Russkull

I just bought this CD new (bargain - $1.44 - thanks FYE!). The album came out 37 years ago and it's still pretty good, and to my ears much more musical and listenable than the other one I have (Stanley Clarke).

It's obvious that Stanley was a great player and composer even back then. I personally wouldn't rank him among my bass heroes, but I'm trying to listen to all the big names in our little world of bass and at least be familiar with their work (and hopefully pick up a few things).

This is the best track, IMHO, although it probably has the least "solo" bass of anything on the CD.

[video:youtube]

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought this album when it came out (I was in high school) and played it to death--long before I had any aspirations as a bass player. I was really into prog rock and fusion stuff: Return to Forever, Happy the Man, Gentle Giant, Jean-Luc Ponty, Al DiMeola, Weather Report, Dixie Dregs, etc.

Of all those listed, this album still holds up the best, I think (along with Weather Report). I still listen to it regularly; the title track kicks ass, but the rest of the album is really good too.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I don't own his entire catalog but School Days is probably my favorite.

You have to at least learn the head for "School Days" (it's easy double stops) so when people come up and ask you if you know any Stanley Clarke you can amuse them for 30 seconds. ;)

I just bought this CD new (bargain - $1.44 - thanks FYE!). The album came out 37 years ago and it's still pretty good, and to my ears much more musical and listenable than the other one I have (Stanley Clarke).

Nice bargain! Lopsy Lu is what made me fall in love with bass guitar, lo, so many years ago. It took almost 40 years for me to see Stanley perform live, but he was So Good -- especially on URB -- that it was well worth the wait.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I bought this album when it came out (I was in high school) and played it to death--long before I had any aspirations as a bass player. I was really into prog rock and fusion stuff: Return to Forever, Happy the Man, Gentle Giant, Jean-Luc Ponty, Al DiMeola, Weather Report, Dixie Dregs, etc.

Of all those listed, this album still holds up the best, I think (along with Weather Report). I still listen to it regularly; the title track kicks ass, but the rest of the album is really good too.

This is me to a T. Though I also think that the Dixie Dregs have held up very well too. Of course I still love fusion and prog, so my musical tastes have expanded rather than changed.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Nice bargain! Lopsy Lu is what made me fall in love with bass guitar, lo, so many years ago. It took almost 40 years for me to see Stanley perform live, but he was So Good -- especially on URB -- that it was well worth the wait.

I played Lopsy Lu when it first came out and still when checking out basses will play the melody.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I played Lopsy Lu when it first came out and still when checking out basses will play the melody.

There was just something about that song. I had never heard a bass guitar sound like that before. It just knocked me out. Good on ya, Wally!

The album came out 37 years ago and it's still pretty good . . .
Agreed! And I still have the original vinyl, too! "Stanley Clarke Live '76-'77" was released about 1991 and provides some interesting arrangements - It's worth a listen.

Lopsy Lu is what made me fall in love with bass guitar, lo, so many years ago.
I was already infatuated for a couple of years - But Lopsy Lu grabbed my attention to the point that I spent many hours learning it - and many, many more trying to figure out how Clarke was playing it . . . I had no YouTube to refer to; and nobody that I knew could play like that. The best part was it expanded my imagination beyond the Allman Bros / Dead covers I was playing, and into Prog Rock / Fusion - which resulted in an appreciation for many flavors of Jazz.

Always sneaks in when I do a "test drive", too. :)
TimberWolf

This is me to a T. Though I also think that the Dixie Dregs have held up very well too. Of course I still love fusion and prog, so my musical tastes have expanded rather than changed.

+1 except I was already out of H.S. I was already turned on to Return to Forever (saw them live in D.C.) so this recording was a natural progression for my already established fusion tastes. I have that recording on Vinyl and now iTunes.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Stanley was there before anyone! Pioneer on the electric bass, the piccolo bass, and not too shabby an upright player.

Last spring I saw Stanley play upright exclusively during a set at Yoshi's (yes, Jeremy, in Oakland -- last minute tix and cancellation of another obligation made this possible, otherwise I would've reached out). I've seen him on electric live in the past and heard his fine upright playing on albums, but his dexterity and the quality of his intonation in that show was really above and beyond. My existing respect for him grew exponentially after seeing and hearing what was a powerful and moving set.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Stanley was there before anyone! Pioneer on the electric bass, the piccolo bass, and not too shabby an upright player.

His dexterity and the quality of his intonation in that show was really above and beyond. My existing respect for him grew exponentially after seeing and hearing what was a powerful and moving set.

Amen. I saw him on a double bill with Victor Wooten. Both great musicians, of course, but Stanley's musicality was exceptional.

I got to meet him backstage a the Circle Star Theater and when I shook his hand I was amazed at the length of his fingers. They were close to double the length of mine. This is why he can play chords on the URB.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

It's obvious that Stanley was a great player and composer even back then. I personally wouldn't rank him among my bass heroes, but I'm trying to listen to all the big names in our little world of bass and at least be familiar with their work (and hopefully pick up a few things).

This is the best track, IMHO, although it probably has the least "solo" bass of anything on the CD.

[video:youtube]

........goes well with Crown Royal

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 2 months later...

If you're in the Detroit area, Stanley's going to be here the first weekend in March...at the Majestic Theater, which is more of a rock club: http://majesticdetroit.com/majestic-upcoming-events/stanley-clarke-presents-school-days.html

Good venue with a wide stage, holds about a thousand, should be a blast.

Archived