Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth apps on sale...

Michael W

Just picked up Magellan and Galileo Organ for $6.99 each (normally $14.99 and $9.99, respectively).

Addictive Synth is also on sale for $4.99, while Sampletank can be had for half price ($9.99).

(Just FYI, these are iPad apps.)

Happy Thanksgiving, whether you're in the US or not. :)

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... iOS options have simply exploded in this past year or so. Some of this stuff is crazy-good, and more than capable for pro production - studio and live.

Going slightly OT here (though it's timely): I'm betting that there will be a slew of new synth apps introduced at NAMM, not to mention some cool hardware. Been picking up hints of things to come, little by little. I think 2014 is going to be an interesting year for geeking out, gear-wise.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Here's a MIDI over Bluetooth app - for those who like to use iPad apps in tandem with regular computers (eg. Ableton Live on computer, controlled by one of several iPad apps for Live). The $3 price is reportedly an introductory one.

http://secretbasedesign.com/apps/apollo

Wow, that sounds really interesting - thanks.

I was playing Magellan on my iPad last night, listening closely with headphones... It sounds REALLY good. These synths on the iPad - ones that sell for $5-$20 - easily hold their own against VSTs that cost $100 - $200.

I haven't bought Cubasis for the iPad yet, but will... you have to wonder where all of this technology is taking us... What will tablet apps be like in three or five years? And how powerful will the processors be? My iPad Air runs all of these softsynths without breaking a sweat.

Michael

Certainly iPads can and will continue to be able to support more and more powerful applications. Softsynths are not that CPU (processor) intensive so I daresay iPads will become more mainstream in the coming years. Tha said, they are fragile and the I/O devices are still *pretty* fragile as well....

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Random thoughts:

- The introduction of Inter App Audio seems to be taking the iOS music world in interesting new directions. Notice quite a few of these app sales are in celebration of adding IAA to said app.

- The developer behind Symphonix Evolution Pro is promising an update in which one can enter straight 8th notes, and hear them played back with swing time. I recently started using this app to write jazz etudes for myself. At present, I have to enter my lines as a mix of dotted 8ths and 16ths instead of straight 8ths. That said, this app does a decent job of importing a tune from iReal Pro as MIDI via the "Open In" function, and playing back the imported tune with swing feel. Thus, I'm personally looking forward to this future update.

- Looking forward to picking up a Miselu C24 when it's released to the general public. The Kickstarter campaign was a success, but I slept on backing the project until it was too late. It's a keyboard that doubles as an iPad case - perfect for my commute-time music-making. I dislike playing onscreen piano-style keyboards, even in great synths like Nave and iSEM, and the C24 would eliminate that problem.

Discchord's roundup of app sales for this week, including iSEM, iMini, etc.:

http://discchord.com/blog/2013/11/28/even-more-app-sales.html

Meteor and Beatmaker 2 are both on sale if you want to check out some other DAWs on the cheap, and see if their MIDI features are a match for what you like to do. Meteor's MIDI Editor is an $8 in-app purchase.

Sunrizer's developer just announced his apps have gone on sale:

Impaktor - very good drum app which is triggered by mic input (play your desk, book, whatever), kind of a poor man's Wave Drum. 80% off.

Sunrizer - virtual analog synth that a lot of IOS folks still love, especially for the Roland JP-8000 style Supersaw. It's the first IOS synth that I've heard can load Scala tuning files, for those of you into microtonal music composition - might still be the only IOS synth. 50% off.

Sunrizer XS - iPhone version of Sunrizer. 70% off

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but the AniMoog app is on sale for $ 4.99.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Yet more apps have been announced on sale. I just picked up Quiztones for free, which is an unusual ear training app in that it's focused on mixing skills. This is the most comprehensive list I've seen yet:

http://idesignsound.com/

Another app not listed on the usual IOS music sites that is now on sale is The Orchestra: http://appshopper.com/music/the-orchestra-2

As I play with these iPad synth apps, I find that they're not really designed to allow for the quick change of sounds like one may need to do on stage.

These apps, like Magellan, should have the ability to create simple user banks that can be displayed as big grids on the screen, where a favorite sound can be called up just by reaching out and touching a box in the grid.

Perhaps some instruments have these kinds of quick, easy patch access interfaces, but I just haven't stumbled into them yet.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw that Cubasis is on sale for a couple of days only, and finally picked it up. Normally $49.99, on sale for $33.99.

Other music-related apps are popping up on sale, and I would expect deals throughout December.

So far, Cubasis seems to be exactly the kind of portable DAW I've been wanting for my iPad.

Now, I just need a slimmed-down, iPad version of Omnisphere. Eric Persing, how 'bout it? :)

Michael

I got Cubasis some time back on sale as well. Lovin it!

I'm with you Michael ... Eric should get off his butt and make iOmnisphere!

Just teasing Eric. We all know you're working your tail off.

And lastly ... At the sake of repeating myself ... Why doesn't Apple release an iOS version of MainStage. How hard could that be and I think it would have the potential to make for a cheap, yet versatile live or practice rig for many of us!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I guess the Arturia V collection is on sale for 50% off. And I find myself not caring all that much. I might be salivating over such a discount if it were 2004, but I feel like a lot of those emulations are long in the tooth. Am I wrong?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Caustic 3 was recently ported to IOS from Android. It's not on sale as far as I know, but it's the closest thing to Reason on iPad. The developer did an amazing job of keeping CPU usage low, despite all the virtual modules you can rack up at once. You get a lot for $9.99.

[video:youtube]

I think it all depends on what you want. The Arturia emulations have appeal to me because I can remember when the originals came out and how they seemed to be made of unobtanium. It's fun to be able to fiddle with all those classic instruments. As to the fidelity of the emulations - I wouldn't know, only had a few minutes with the real things at the music store.

That being said, there are a lot of softsynths out there that aren't emulations that have a lot things to offer that are way beyond the emulated synths. My problem is that I already have more softsynths than I have the time or talent to fully use.

Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

^^^^ What He Said ^^^^

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Not too many years ago, we were saying pretty much the same things about laptops vs desktop computers for music. It's just a matter of time when iPads and tablets will have more than enough power to run all the music software we want/need.

Not too many years ago, we were saying pretty much the same things about laptops vs desktop computers for music. It's just a matter of time when iPads and tablets will have more than enough power to run all the music software we want/need.

I think you're right, and can't wait.

I have been using Digital Performer for years, and started sequencing with Cakewalk for DOS back around 1991.

Last night I created my first tune using only Cubasis on my iPad and a keyboard controller. Can I tell you how easy and intuitive Cubasis is to use?

Working with the touchscreen is awesome. Freeze a track with a single touch of the screen. Drag and drop pieces of tracks with your finger. Add a new track with a single touch. Zoom in and out of the track window by pinching the screen. Damn, this is awesome.

I've read rumors of a larger iPad for sometime in 2014. If they make one of these, count me in. I definitely see something like this replacing my iMac/mouse at some point in the years ahead.

Michael

Archived