Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 2 controlled from a better keybed?

analogholic

Toying with the idea of upgrading my NE3 to a NS2 Compact.

I was really blown away how much of a difference the long release and 2nd gen string resonance made to the same pianos I have in my NE3 when playing solo piano! Like "another instrument. Closest to the vibe of a real grand that I played.

But I was very dissapointed with that Fatar action of the NS2 HA88.

So I was wondering how those pianos feel triggered from a better keyboard/keybed?

Anybody besides Tobbe who tried this? (And what´s your verdict btw?)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play the Nord pianos from my Korg M3-88 (heavily weighted keys) and a PC88 (medium weighted) - and it's just great! :)
Nord Stage 3 sw73, Yamaha CP88, KeyB Legend Live, Kurzweil PC3K7, EV ZXa1 + sub. K&M stands, Hammond E112, Leslie 3300, EHX V256, Roland SE-02, Yamaha EX5R & TG77, Novation Nova desktop & much more...

"Long Release" is what finally made the Nord pianos work for me (along with their newer samples in general). I don't really mind the Fatar TP40 action, but those boards are just too heavy. I think the pianos play very nicely from the Casio actions. And you get triple sensor, and the ability to do a light thumbnail gliss, which doesn't really work on the TP40. The only downside, for the nitpickers, is a bit of a bug in the Nord. On it's own keybed, if you press very slowly, you will generate a silent MIDI velocity 1, which, while making no sound of its own, will add resonances to subsequently played notes. When triggered externally over MIDI, velocity 1 will actually cause the note to sound, you can't do a silent keypress.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

"Long Release" is what finally made the Nord pianos work for me (along with their newer samples in general). I don't really mind the Fatar TP40 action, but those boards are just too heavy. I think the pianos play very nicely from the Casio actions. And you get triple sensor, and the ability to do a light thumbnail gliss, which doesn't really work on the TP40. The only downside, for the nitpickers, is a bit of a bug in the Nord. On it's own keybed, if you press very slowly, you will generate a silent MIDI velocity 1, which, while making no sound of its own, will add resonances to subsequently played notes. When triggered externally over MIDI, velocity 1 will actually cause the note to sound, you can't do a silent keypress.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Yeah, a PX-5s has been on my radar for a while.

Bummer with that midi bug....but you still get resonance to subsequently played notes, only that the first slowly pressed key(s) will sound at MIDI vel 1 right instead of being silent?

Clavia should be able to fix this....IF they wanted to?!?!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I'm thinking of a new cheap (under $400) Yamaha p35, just to control my Electro 3. The other half of my brain is saying lets get a px-5s instead for more options and fun.

Can't decide. The action seems much lighter on those inexpensive Yamahas, and I'm wondering if after playing for a while; will I still feel like I'm getting the weighted-key experience?

I keep going back and forth between those two at the local Sam Ash.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

I was reading some older posts about the p35. I didn't realize there weren't any line outs on it for going in a mixer or amp. Some people are using the headphone jack. I was surprised, but I guess it's really intended for playing at home.

Using it as midi as a controller would be the way to go I guess, but if I wanted them to occasionally play their own sounds that could be a problem.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

So I was wondering how those pianos feel triggered from a better keyboard/keybed?

Anybody besides Tobbe who tried this? (And what´s your verdict btw?)

I use a Kawai MP8II MIDI'd up to my Electro 3 - it really breathes new life into the Nord Piano Library!

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5286/newaddition.png

I also know a handful of other Nord owners who use the Kawai VPC1 as a controller for their favourite red board:

NS2:

487892_138621182977064_1227083199_n.jpg

Another NE3:

532932_146061532233029_403085520_n.jpg

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.

Nord Electro 3 fan &

The only downside, for the nitpickers, is a bit of a bug in the Nord. On it's own keybed, if you press very slowly, you will generate a silent MIDI velocity 1, which, while making no sound of its own, will add resonances to subsequently played notes. When triggered externally over MIDI, velocity 1 will actually cause the note to sound, you can't do a silent keypress.
Why is that a bug? Isn't that what a real piano would do?

Let me rephrase that. Unless you mean something different by "resonances", that is exactly what a real piano does. If you don't strike a note above a certain velocity, the hammer never strikes the string, but the damper for that note lifts.

So, what's the problem? How is this ever an issue in reality?

I would call it a bug if any digital piano sounds a note for velocity 1, unless the keyboard was ONLY for piano, and set that velocity 1 corresponded to (roughly) the velocity you'd have to press on a perfectly set up grand to get the lightest note.

But since any keyboard, whether hammer-action or not, is used for things other than piano, I wouldn't want that (unless the action velocity gets rescaled for piano voices ... this is going WAY down the crazy road.)

What's the lightest keybed that would still be considered 'weighted'? Are there any key actions that allow for nuanced playing but are decidedly light on the weighting?

Some boards use the phrase semi-weighted, but for something that feels at all like a piano, you need weighted, which is the term that means, not that it has more weight, but that it has a mechanism which simulates the feel of a hammer. A good one that has a pretty light feel is the one that Roland uses in in the FP-7F/FP-80/RD700NX.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The only downside, for the nitpickers, is a bit of a bug in the Nord. On it's own keybed, if you press very slowly, you will generate a silent MIDI velocity 1, which, while making no sound of its own, will add resonances to subsequently played notes. When triggered externally over MIDI, velocity 1 will actually cause the note to sound, you can't do a silent keypress.
Why is that a bug? Isn't that what a real piano would do?

I described two different scenarios. The first is what a real piano would do, and it is the way the NS2 behaves as long as you play it from its own action. The bug is that, when you play it from an external action, it no longer behaves that way, you lose the ability to do a silent keypress. It's not essential, but it's a nice bit of authenticity that gets lost.

I play a lot of the pianos on my Stage Compact from my S70XS. They really come alive with the keybed from the Yamaha

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived