Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing ampless

CEB

I may play bass again. I play a stock 20+ year old passive Fender P-bass. If I take this gig I want to go ampless. What besides a decent DI would you recommend I use? Classic Rock / Country is the genre. Very straight forward material.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a pair of EV powered wedge monitors I would use for my personal stage monitoring. Then there is whatever will be provided by the sound system. I carry my own just in case.

I have not played bass outside of sitting in occasionally with my kid's jazz band in years. This is going to hurt. I may need light gauge flats. LOL

Thanks for the replies so far.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

With the wedge in case you need more, I think you'll be real happy. I've tried going totally ampless on stage but it works much better if you --instead of the sound person--have access to the "more me" knob.

But to your original post, I've never been able to much discern the differences in D.I. boxes for stage use. Ground lift buttons are handy, though.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver , you can bypass the circuits and play with it as a plain ol' DI, or really set your tone as a stompbox, it's the one thing I always have in my gig bag.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Then there is whatever will be provided by the sound system.

You need to know exactly what is available.

Around here cover bands typically provide their own PA and a lot of them are vocals-only. If they're only driving 10s on sticks with 100W there's no room for your bass. If you have to add a crossover, amp and sub(s) then you may as well just buy a bass rig.

Granted your band will theoretically sound better if everyone goes through a manned PA for FoH and everyone wears IEMs, but that can get expensive.

Also, I've played a lot of small stages. I don't see having enough real estate for two wedge monitors. Isn't one enough? The only reason I can see for two is in case you need to use one as an emergency backline, standing vertical, to try to carry the room in case there is no FoH for you to go through.

Is the reason you want to play ampless just to avoid buying new gear?

Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver , you can bypass the circuits and play with it as a plain ol' DI, or really set your tone as a stompbox, it's the one thing I always have in my gig bag.

I'll be a broken record (...record...record...) and agree that the Sansamp is the way to go. I'm ampless at church and it gives me control over the sound and volume that I wouldn't have otherwise.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Generally, I set the volume during the sound check and leave it alone, but I like being able to use the drive, bass and treble to meet the tone shaping needs for the gig.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

+1

I picked up the "programmable" bass driver DI. 3 channels + bypass. I mostly use1 channel that actually has the blend knob mostly to dry, so it's not doing much most ofthe time. But when needed I can switch to a bit of dirt, or a little of a hotter sound. It gives alot of possibilities, but the way I've got the channels set, it's pretty subtle.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived