Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

effects for analog synths

danimuschi

It's hard to compare the Lexicon racks (MX200 and MX400 I know should be available for only a few hundred, or bigger ones) with most others, but they're not spuerficial fun-boxes. I don't doubt that the various delays and reverbs (and phasers, choruses, compressor, etc) sound very good on those admirable analog machines.

I know for a fact if you mess around with computer plugins on top of such Lexicon, it can get even mnore interesting, but that' work. No comparison with most other pro effects if you know how to use it, much deeper, more varied and doing all kinds of things cool. Recommended, also just to play with the presets, with quality AD/Da and 4x balanced IO, the MX400 is always wort the money, and is useful for more applications.

T

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended up getting a Way Huge Echo Puss analog delay - $116 blowout sale at JRRShop.

For some projects, I'll run string instruments through it on the way to my Octatrack. For others, I'll use it on the Voyager while running said string instrument through my multi-effects unit.

I've had a lot of fun using Line 6 stomp box pedals with analog synths. Back in the 90s when I was in a funk band I used a bunch of classic pedals - Smallstone and MXR phasers, Crybabay wah, Vox silver wah, Morely volume/wah, Boss analog delay and my favorite- the Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I bought a EHX small stone phaser a while back to get those Jarre pads but it's also great in a lot of other contexts, sounds great on pretty much anything. My Minitaur sounds great through it and I was running the Fantom's EPs through it for a while. I also have a Maxon AD10 analog delay which is great, very high quality but has taken me a bit to get used to the murky repeats after years of digital delays, so it's useful depending on the application. I've also been running my Minitaur and Volca keys through those pedals and the Fantom G's internal FX which are great. Ran them though Logic's Pedalboard the other day too. For now I'm aiming to get an analog chorus and flanger. I want to see what they're like after using digital FX for years.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

I use an older Zoom GX1 pedal on my Moog. I have it set to do reverb and delay, with the delay amount controlled by the footpedal on the unit. Not the best solution but workable. I've been thinking about a stomp box down the line where I have more immediate access to things like delay time and feedback.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Borrowed the TC Electronic Flashback from my local music shop today. It's very nice sounding, but there is no tap tempo and it cut off the delay sound when I press the switch. If the Flashback X4 hasn't got these two problems it honk I'll go for that...

Flashback has tap tempo. Hold the button down for two seconds or so then pick the tempo on the guitar. I guess with keys you would play the temp on your synth.

If I make any changes to my guitar pedalboard in 2014 it will be to replace my old Ibanez delay with a TC Flashback.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Goto to 3:40 This guy show how to enter tempo and how to use the switches. Seem like a good guitar delay for $169.00 You can pickup up now for $135 with these current cyber deals that are going on.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Goto to 3:40 This guy show how to enter tempo and how to use the switches. Seem like a good guitar delay for $169.00 You can pickup up now for $135 with these current cyber deals that are going on.

[video:youtube]

Cool... i'm not sure that it's a good solution for keys though... -I'll look into it when the kids are asleep... Thanks! ;-)

It's a fun subject, but since the explicit question is about analog synths, you can ask yourself: how does a digital or BBD-sampled effect combine with analog ? It has to, because most of the effects that can be made wit sampled effects cannot be made with unsampled electronics, like delay (except something lke tape echo), chorus (maybe a long chain of analog phasers can do something of a chorus), reverb (you could use a chamber or a analog spring-reverb).

The fun with the early delay-based effects, be it Bucket Brigade Delay chips or relatively low quality sampled effects, is that many could modulate the sampling frequency, so you'd end up with an effect that doesn't (like almost all boxes nowadays) always show aliasing and other sampling products of the exact same kind.

A good trick when using modern digital boxes with nice analog synths is to mix in the digital effect with an analog mixer (e.g. put it in the effect send / return loop of a non-digital mixer), so that the analog character of the instrument is unaltered in the mix, only the effect is digital.

T

• 3 weeks later...

Archived