Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

slightly OT: Music heaven last weekend

EscapeRocks

So, some of you auto race fans may know that the USGP held it's annual Formula 1 race in Austin, Tx.

We were asked and contracted to play a show as part of the Official Formula 1 Fan Fest. The fan Fest took place all over downtown. Big stages setup at couple locations, and large open air venues hosting others. The big stages had the likes of Berlin, Los Lonely boys, etc..

We played a cool place called Cedar Street Courtyard.

Let's just say the weekend did not suck!

What was most amazing to me, in the musical capitol of Texas, was how within one song, our venue became packed to the gills.

People were digging our show. Singing along, etc..

The other best part was we all stayed at our bass player's house...he lives in a northern suburb of Austin.

As such we spent Thursday, Friday, and of course Saturday nights downtown.

Walking all over from 3rd to 6th and streets, there was on cool music venue after another with music of any genre you could think of.

Every musician and band we met were cool.

I was like a kid in a candy store. Sonic overload with all the awesome live music I got to hear.

Then comes our show as described above, and just....wow!!

This was our first foray down there, and based on our show, we've been asked to play a high end NYE party down there.

However, for me, that's just the side story. It was so nice, and so cool to be in a place that values live music, and interact and network with other musicians, as well as hear them all play. It's hard for us to hear live music around here, as we're always playing.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a blast!

I know the feeling having played quite a few street fair events over the years where there were a lot of bands in a tight area (Beale Street was one example). They are always fun and the camaraderie between bands, fans, event staff, and vendors makes for a "one big happy family" type situation.

Thanks for the share and congrats on the NYE booking!

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Well done and proper car racing too, not just the old US round and round in a boring old circle ;)
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

It was so nice, and so cool to be in a place that values live music, and interact and network with other musicians, as well as hear them all play. It's hard for us to hear live music around here, as we're always playing.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

That is so cool... and so true. :thu:

Thanks for sharing!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Fantastic man. I love your attitude about the whole thing too. You're definitely stoked on the success but humbled by the greater vibe of it all and I can see you counting your blessings and just being grateful for the opportunities before you. Right on!!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Thanks guys!

Bobby, thank you for that comment. I've said it before: I'm riding this wave as far as it takes me. I know I am so lucky and blessed that I got the right group of guys together for this band. 5 years now with the current group, excpet for the drummer who we brought on last year.

The thing that makes it fun for me is that we can all hang out together. There are no ego battles going on.

Sure, we will have typical disagreements about songs, venues to play, but it's more like a brotherly fight.

Yes, having been around a long time (I'll be 51 soon...ugh), I know how unusual this is in the music biz, so again, I'm enjoying it for all it's worth.

David

That's very cool, David! The vibe there must have been amazing. You're lucky you guys had a place to crash, though. I looked at some hotel prices for the race weekend last year and they were outrageous.

I say this every chance I get - you guys have a tight band and do Journey justice. If someone is into this stuff at all, I recommend you catch them when you can. It's also a cool show to bring a woman who is a fan of that stuff! :D Also, the whole band is a bunch of cool guys and a good hang.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I saw the whole F1 with the German victory live on tv!
It was easy to watch live on TV here, because it was during the day and not the middle of the night like many F1 races are for us.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wonderful thing watching it live, isn't it? My GF follows Alonso and I follow Kimi, so next year should be interesting at Ferrari.

And if the NJ Grand Prix gets off the ground, should make for a fun event. I should keep my ears open about gigs.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

That's very cool, David! The vibe there must have been amazing. You're lucky you guys had a place to crash, though. I looked at some hotel prices for the race weekend last year and they were outrageous.

I say this every chance I get - you guys have a tight band and do Journey justice. If someone is into this stuff at all, I recommend you catch them when you can. It's also a cool show to bring a woman who is a fan of that stuff! :D Also, the whole band is a bunch of cool guys and a good hang.

Thank you very much, joe. We hope to get down to Houston again as well.

The F! race was very cool. As part of our deal, we got 10 reserved seat tickets to the race.

David

As part of our deal, we got 10 reserved seat tickets to the race.
Aw, man! :(

;)

Someday I'll get to that race, or even just the track for one of the other races.

Archived